How to store for 2 years

sumamaesunaperra_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Unfortunate circumstances are forcing me to put my 2014 CB in storage for a minimum of 2 years. Being that it will sit for so long + I won't be around + nor will have anyone that I trust available to tend to it = what is the 'best' way to leave it parked?

The cb will be in Coloradao = dry hot/cold weather.
The storage unit is climate controlled, they guarantee inside temp of 55-85 deg F.

My initial thought was= fresh oil, no gas at all (it's very dry in CO especially in winter), take battery out, lower the tire pressure, put on center stand, and cover. But I saw this detailed thread which seems to be for winter (3-6 month) storage. Is there anything different I should do for 2 year storage? what is the advantage of putting oil in the cylinder heads?

Any thought's and advice is greatly appreciated.

yours full of tears :(
(long time lurker, first time poster)
 
:hello: Howdy and welcome to the forum


Everything you mentioned sounds right to me except lowering the air pressure in the tires. They will do that themselves over time.. I would put a wooden block under the engine and get both wheels off the ground, so you don't flat spot the front tire. Put some mouse sticky pads around it to keep the rodents at bay.
 
Hello sumamaesunaperra and welcome aboard the Forum. Sorry to hear about having to store the CB. Your procedure sounds like in the right direction, at least something I would likely include. Some Forum members having strong experience in this ask may lean in. In the meantime, when not elsewhere, you will be here.
 
whatever was said here this detailed thread, do not lower tire pressure as Ferret said, I would put MAX allowable as per tire sidewall, and make sure both tires are NOT touching ground...
Good luck
 
I agree with keeping the tires off the ground. I'd also add some Stabil to the gas and run it through the engine before draining the tank. Last item to consider is fogging the cylinders, but you probably don't need to bother.
 
Thread starter
LongRanger_imp said:
I agree with keeping the tires off the ground. I'd also add some Stabil to the gas and run it through the engine before draining the tank. Last item to consider is fogging the cylinders, but you probably don't need to bother.
what are the benefits of fogging the cylinders? is that what they did here with the oil?
thank you everyone for the responses.

I will keep tire pressure and make sure the tires don't touch the ground. I have a 5 gallon bucket full of concrete I used as an anchor/theft deterrent for my prior cb (1976 750) that I think i can anchor to the luggage rack to see-saw the front wheel off the ground.

I like the idea of running stabil before draining, I have some that need to use anyways, thank you longranger
 
G’day, sumamaesunaperra. Welcome. I’m pleased you’ve decided to ‘come out’ but understand your grief about having to leave the CB for 2 years.

The point about getting the tyres of the ground, I think, is about not having weight on them rather than no contact. Just protecting them with cardboard or plywood will not do the trick.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
G’day, sumamaesunaperra. Welcome. I’m pleased you’ve decided to ‘come out’ but understand your grief about having to leave the CB for 2 years.

The point about getting the tyres of the ground, I think, is about not having weight on them rather than no contact. Just protecting them with cardboard or plywood will not do the trick.
Cardboard/plywood between rubber to concrete was a tip shared from cafe racers to prevent spot cupping the tires. This probably had more to do with concrete and the racing compound they were using, versus long term storage. If the weight can be minimized off the tires, that is always optimal. The rear is easy with a center stand, but the front can still touch the ground (on cardboard) as long as the weight on the front is approaching zero. It doesn't need to be free-floating, if that is impractical.
 
Sure, point take. But with the CB, there is a fair bit of weight on the front wheel when it’s on the centre stand, so lifting it somehow is a good idea.
 
There is a few items I would ad to your prep work.

Wash and wax the bike. Heavily coat all rubber with a protectant like Armoral. I usually paint it on for long storage.

After that is done and the gas is treated... battery removed this final step is important for me.

Go to the store and buy knee high nylons, some mothballs, heavy duty hand clamps (looks like a heavy duty cloths pin) and a nice cover for the bike. Fill both nylons with a good amount of the mothballs. Hang one on the right side hand grip and the other on the left rear turn signal. Cover the bike. Make sure the tires are off the ground. Now you lay down on the ground and remove all slack in the cover between the center stand and front tire. I roll it up and use the hand clamp to secure it. Then do the same between the center stand and rear tire. basically you are trying your best to seal the bike in the cover as best you can. The mothballs will drive out all possible bugs and rodents from the bike.
 
You can also wrap on old sock around the end of the tail pipe.

However I have found with the stock CB tail pipe style, I have never had critter problems for decades, even when stored outside all year round (no plug, no sock).
 
teamvisegrip_imp said:
There is a few items I would ad to your prep work.

Wash and wax the bike. Heavily coat all rubber with a protectant like Armoral. I usually paint it on for long storage.

After that is done and the gas is treated... battery removed this final step is important for me.

Go to the store and buy knee high nylons, some mothballs, heavy duty hand clamps (looks like a heavy duty cloths pin) and a nice cover for the bike. Fill both nylons with a good amount of the mothballs. Hang one on the right side hand grip and the other on the left rear turn signal. Cover the bike. Make sure the tires are off the ground. Now you lay down on the ground and remove all slack in the cover between the center stand and front tire. I roll it up and use the hand clamp to secure it. Then do the same between the center stand and rear tire. basically you are trying your best to seal the bike in the cover as best you can. The mothballs will drive out all possible bugs and rodents from the bike.
Great idea vicegrip
 
Thread starter
teamvisegrip_imp said:
There is a few items I would ad to your prep work.

Wash and wax the bike. Heavily coat all rubber with a protectant like Armoral. I usually paint it on for long storage.

After that is done and the gas is treated... battery removed this final step is important for me.

Go to the store and buy knee high nylons, some mothballs, heavy duty hand clamps (looks like a heavy duty cloths pin) and a nice cover for the bike. Fill both nylons with a good amount of the mothballs. Hang one on the right side hand grip and the other on the left rear turn signal. Cover the bike. Make sure the tires are off the ground. Now you lay down on the ground and remove all slack in the cover between the center stand and front tire. I roll it up and use the hand clamp to secure it. Then do the same between the center stand and rear tire. basically you are trying your best to seal the bike in the cover as best you can. The mothballs will drive out all possible bugs and rodents from the bike.
I do have some moth balls left over from storing clothes, great idea, thank you
 
Back
Top