How to make the CB1100rs perform better

Saltani_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Greeting to all the CB clan!

I'm about to dive into a new CB1100rs 2017 without a test drive because it is not made available my the dealer here in KSA.

I've been a Harley Davidson owner for the last decade so as you can imagine the conversion to Honda and the CB is making me think about a few things let alone the fact that I'm investing in a new experience without a test drive. so I really do need some advice here!

With HD, upgrading and tuning the performance is always part of the process of owning their bikes and it definitely makes for a better riding experience.

My questions are:

1) How can I improve the engine performance/tuning of the CB to get more power out of it?

2) Is there any difference in power with a Slip-on vs full exhaust system? which brand is the best for quality of sound, manufacturing and appearance in your opinions?

3) Is there such a thing as an engine upgrade?

big thanks Gents,
 
:hello: Howdy and welcome to the forum

BTW where is KSA?

We don't get the RS here (color us jealous), but why not ride it for a bit and see if you really need for the power to be upgraded?

It should certainly feel faster than an HD, even an upgraded one for the most part.
 
KSA—Kingdom of Saudi Arabia?
 
1) How can I improve the engine performance/tuning of the CB to get more power out of it? >>> with a combination of full exhaust system (cat free), better air filter from K&N or DNA and FI tuning device, you can add 10% more power, throttle response could be felt clearly

2) Is there any difference in power with a Slip-on vs full exhaust system? which brand is the best for quality of sound, manufacturing and appearance in your opinions? >>>slip on is more convenient but full system will unleash the beast. 2-1-1 is available with Moriwaki, Over Racing and sound is same as stock, just louder. 4-1-1 is available with Yoshimura titanium, Ruyjin full titanium from Japan will output true I4 sound

3) Is there such a thing as an engine upgrade? >>>Yes but it's costly and not worthy, you should switch to more powerful instead of searching for more power from this bike :), say Z900rs or CB1300 :D


Saltani_imp said:
Greeting to all the CB clan!

I'm about to dive into a new CB1100rs 2017 without a test drive because it is not made available my the dealer here in KSA.

I've been a Harley Davidson owner for the last decade so as you can imagine the conversion to Honda and the CB is making me think about a few things let alone the fact that I'm investing in a new experience without a test drive. so I really do need some advice here!

With HD, upgrading and tuning the performance is always part of the process of owning their bikes and it definitely makes for a better riding experience.

My questions are:

1) How can I improve the engine performance/tuning of the CB to get more power out of it?

2) Is there any difference in power with a Slip-on vs full exhaust system? which brand is the best for quality of sound, manufacturing and appearance in your opinions?

3) Is there such a thing as an engine upgrade?

big thanks Gents,
 
Welcome, Saltani.
 
You want to know how to make the CB1100RS perform better?

First, we'll put me on it for a while. Be sure to carefully watch how I go about things. Make note of my riding technique, the more details you capture the better. Watching is learning in this case.

Then we'll place you on the RS, and you'll instantly feel like it is a far more capable performer than what you were expecting after watching me ride the bike. If the performance seems to decline while you're riding the RS, then just start doing the exact opposite of what I did when I was on the bike. There you have it, an instant performance upgrade. :D
 
Thread starter
About the “FI Tuning device”,

What is that? How to I get it? Can I do it myself at home?

About the Exhaust System,

I need a 4 into 2 system. What do you ghuys suggest? one t that’ll give me power and sound! But keeping a mature look.

ote='itstuantran' pid='217717' dateline='1536364000']
1) How can I improve the engine performance/tuning of the CB to get more power out of it? >>> with a combination of full exhaust system (cat free), better air filter from K&N or DNA and FI tuning device, you can add 10% more power, throttle response could be felt clearly

2) Is there any difference in power with a Slip-on vs full exhaust system? which brand is the best for quality of sound, manufacturing and appearance in your opinions? >>>slip on is more convenient but full system will unleash the beast. 2-1-1 is available with Moriwaki, Over Racing and sound is same as stock, just louder. 4-1-1 is available with Yoshimura titanium, Ruyjin full titanium from Japan will output true I4 sound

3) Is there such a thing as an engine upgrade? >>>Yes but it's costly and not worthy, you should switch to more powerful instead of searching for more power from this bike :), say Z900rs or CB1300 :D


Saltani_imp said:
Greeting to all the CB clan!

I'm about to dive into a new CB1100rs 2017 without a test drive because it is not made available my the dealer here in KSA.

I've been a Harley Davidson owner for the last decade so as you can imagine the conversion to Honda and the CB is making me think about a few things let alone the fact that I'm investing in a new experience without a test drive. so I really do need some advice here!

With HD, upgrading and tuning the performance is always part of the process of owning their bikes and it definitely makes for a better riding experience.

My questions are:

1) How can I improve the engine performance/tuning of the CB to get more power out of it?

2) Is there any difference in power with a Slip-on vs full exhaust system? which brand is the best for quality of sound, manufacturing and appearance in your opinions?

3) Is there such a thing as an engine upgrade?

big thanks Gents,
[/QUOTE]
 
Saltani_imp said:
About the “FI Tuning device”,

What is that? How to I get it? Can I do it myself at home?

About the Exhaust System,

I need a 4 into 2 system. What do you ghuys suggest? one t that’ll give me power and sound! But keeping a mature look.

ote='itstuantran' pid='217717' dateline='1536364000']
1) How can I improve the engine performance/tuning of the CB to get more power out of it? >>> with a combination of full exhaust system (cat free), better air filter from K&N or DNA and FI tuning device, you can add 10% more power, throttle response could be felt clearly

2) Is there any difference in power with a Slip-on vs full exhaust system? which brand is the best for quality of sound, manufacturing and appearance in your opinions? >>>slip on is more convenient but full system will unleash the beast. 2-1-1 is available with Moriwaki, Over Racing and sound is same as stock, just louder. 4-1-1 is available with Yoshimura titanium, Ruyjin full titanium from Japan will output true I4 sound

3) Is there such a thing as an engine upgrade? >>>Yes but it's costly and not worthy, you should switch to more powerful instead of searching for more power from this bike :), say Z900rs or CB1300 :D


Saltani_imp said:
Greeting to all the CB clan!

I'm about to dive into a new CB1100rs 2017 without a test drive because it is not made available my the dealer here in KSA.

I've been a Harley Davidson owner for the last decade so as you can imagine the conversion to Honda and the CB is making me think about a few things let alone the fact that I'm investing in a new experience without a test drive. so I really do need some advice here!

With HD, upgrading and tuning the performance is always part of the process of owning their bikes and it definitely makes for a better riding experience.

My questions are:

1) How can I improve the engine performance/tuning of the CB to get more power out of it?

2) Is there any difference in power with a Slip-on vs full exhaust system? which brand is the best for quality of sound, manufacturing and appearance in your opinions?

3) Is there such a thing as an engine upgrade?

big thanks Gents,
[/QUOTE] [/QUOTE]
 
Hey Saltani,

The best thing you could do is just buy my CB! I'd love to think it was gleaming in the sunshine in KSA, instead of sitting in the drizzle in London! ;-)

Have a look...

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=13205

It's basically as fast as you can make a CB go without heavy engine work.... It'll whip a std RS and it looks better to ;-))

Ok, enough of the hard sell.

So, as has been said before, there are a few simple mods you can make to give you about a 30hp increase. That's a big percentage jump and not a bad BHP/£($) ratio.

POWER INCREASE

-CAT Free Exhaust Headers, Arrow make a nice set or choose any from Samurider.com.

-End can of your choice, but not std. something opened up.

-Remove the snorkel from the Air box. There is a cheep DIY mod on here somewhere or buy the adapter from Samurider - https://www.samurider.com/?p=16803/#itemImage

-Open up the Air Intake and fit TSR Funnels - Again Samurider.com

-Fit Dynojet Power Commander 5

-Re-flash the Std ECU. Send it to Guhl Motors in the USA. Only people I know who can do it.

-Get it tuned on a good dyno.

This little lot should see you with a 25-30hp increase. You'll really feel that.
(Don't forget to remove the PAIR Valve)

Then you need to reduce weight. RS has a Ali. Swing Arm but I'll bet it still weighs a bit. OVER make a sweet range and they are feather light.
Then take all the bits off you don't need, want, like Centre Stand, Front Mudguard, Grab Handles,... etc. It's up to you what you don't think you need.... and maybe fit a Li-ion Battery.

This will really liven the bike up.

Change the gearing. The CB is geared to cruise, which is nice, but if you want it to 'Feel' quicker then smaller Sprocket on the front and/or a larger one on the back. I went 1 tooth down on the front and 3 up on the rear.

You can also fit an Dynojet WIDEBAND 2 - O2Commander - https://dynojet.co.uk/power-commander/wideband
This will really help the engine pull strongly from low revs and make the power delivery super smooth.

One of the biggest benefits I've found from modding my bike was the massive amount of low down pull I liberated, It's so strong. Then the top end has a real rush and it just flies!!

After all that, it's Cams and valves and all that. Forum member Josh (aka Powerdubs on here) has been tuning pioneer and had some cams made for his bike. Have a search. It's an interesting project but after the initial good value gains above, you are potentially not gaining as much and it's going to take more money/workshop time.

Once you increase the power you might want to Mod the Suspension. The brakes are fine. RS has improved Front forks apparently, but not sure how they are.

Half the fun is doing it yourself but.... you could save all the bother and have yourself the sweetest ride in KSA..... just sayin' ;-)
Also, worth noting that I think the RS is limited to 112mph. Now, I'm not certain of this but the EX was. You can get the limiter removed, if it is still hobbled, by sending your ECU to Guhl Motors in the USA.
 
I believe the CB will always be limited by its steel frame. If it were me, I'd buy a lighter bike with an aluminum frame, but if you're intent on improving the performance of the CB, I'd consider putting less of a priority on engine mods and instead lighten the bike to improve its handling (and your riding skills):

Replace front and rear suspension with race-quality suspension
Replace the wheels with race wheels to reduce unsprung weight
Replace the tires with sport or racing tires
Replace the exhaust with a lighter exhaust system
Remove unneeded or extraneous components to further reduce weight
Improve your riding skills by investing in race training and track days

I believe every 8-10 lbs of weight savings is equivalent to gaining an additional hp. Lighten the bike and improve your riding skills and you won't miss a few extra hp that you might gain by spending money on engine mods.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I believe the CB will always be limited by its steel frame. If it were me, I'd buy a lighter bike with an aluminum frame, but if you're intent on improving the performance of the CB, I'd consider putting less of a priority on engine mods and instead lighten the bike to improve its handling (and your riding skills):

Replace front and rear suspension with race-quality suspension
Replace the wheels with race wheels to reduce unsprung weight
Replace the tires with sport or racing tires
Replace the exhaust with a lighter exhaust system
Remove unneeded or extraneous components to further reduce weight
Improve your riding skills by investing in race training and track days

I believe every 8-10 lbs of weight savings is equivalent to gaining an additional hp. Lighten the bike and improve your riding skills and you won't miss a few extra hp that you might gain by spending money on engine mods.
Would dieting be less expensive?!:rolleyes:
 
Thread starter
Gent, Beardy, LongRanger,

Seriously... thanks for the information, time and Effort you guys put into the advice.

My previous bike experience was on a 1200 sportster (4 yrs) and on a
Breakout (5 yrs), now that I’ve experienced the CB1100RS I can say I genuinely enjoyed the feel of the bike. However, my wrist aren’t used to the riding position so the quickly started to ache. I hope it’s only a matter of getting used to the bike. Any advise?

The exhaust is 4 into 2. The sound is nice but not enough. What are your thoughts?

What about the rear fender? What do you think? Do you know of a shorter version without loosing the handles?
 
small advice: it seems like the bulk of your experience is on leaned back western bikes. this is more standard and thus more of a euro seating position. if your wrists are hurting, it's because you may be leaning forward and putting weight on your arms. your body should be held up by your lower back, gripping the tank with your legs, leaving your arms loose and free with less weight on them. you would only shift your weight forward like that when dipping into turns.
 
arm and shoulder should be loose...no weight on the wrist....hold your body with your belly and back muscles

the handlebar is not made for push ups
 
Saltani, I can't provide any guidance with respect to exhaust or fender modifications, but others here will be happy to share their experiences.
 
Thread starter
Thanks LR. Mr. Pro & Alprider,

So am I to understand that I need to learn a new riding technique where I continuously hold my self up using my mid section and legs... where can I read up on this?

I’ve actually been holding my self up with arms!
 
Saltani: correct. it's not as grueling as it sounds, but you should be holding yourself up with your back and legs to keep your shoulders loose. whenever you see squids go by on sportbikes with their back arched and their heads up (call it "seal" position), thinking they look really cool, all their weight is on their wrists, and they are unable to handle the bike correctly in that position. proper body position will help you take turns and maneuver in a way that is impossible with your weight on the bars all the time.

as for where to read up on this, i regret to say I can't help you. Reddit.com/r/motorcycles is full of riding technique critics who are often particular to the point of brutality, but they will certainly teach you (in fact, sometimes i think it's their #1 passion in life...) also, retaking any local MSF courses for more experienced riders will probably net you a lot of instruction about body position, because a good instructor will point it out if he sees you sitting on your CB wrong.
 
for flowing effortlessly laid-back cornering you need exactly this technique or just for drive general

and
do not make a hollow cross to the front
 
Imagine you're riding a horse. There's no pressure on your arms or wrists. Instead, you're sitting on your butt but holding yourself with your knees and thighs, and standing in the stirrups when things get bumpy. It's why you don't see sport bikes with forward controls!

The wrist pressure you do want is when you push on the inside grip to lean the bike into a turn. Push left to lean left, push right to lean right. On a bike as light-steering as the CB, it doesn't take much. Thank the narrow tires for that.
 
Back
Top