How often should I lube the chain?

goldeneye_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I'm still a little new here, so please correct me if I'm in the wrong sub-forum.

Like the title says, how often should I lube the chain? I don't see anything in the manual, so please help a newbie out.

ETA: What kind of lube do you use?

Thanks
 
I give mine a spritz of light lube (Dupont silicone/teflon) about every 300-400 miles. So far the chain is wearing nicely. Just 3 adjustments in the last 12K miles.
 
I lube the chain about every three to four hundred miles. First, if it is grimy, I wipe it down with a rag and WD-40. Dry with another rag and then lube sparingly with Tirox Synthetic chain wax. Allow the chain wax about a half hour to dry before riding. On a trip I do this at days end. The chain is factory lubed with grease and sealed by O-rings. A light lube with chain wax prevents rust and protects the seals. Keeping the chain adjusted to factory spec and regular cleaning and lube will benefit in long sprocket and chain life.
 
I lube mine when it looks dry or gets rained on. No set routine.
 
I may get flamed for this but I'm from the school of thought that less is more. I clean my chain with wd maybe once a year. Have done this on all my bikes. I feel that when lubed it gathers more grime and then grinds it into a paste that wears down the chain/sprocket.
I have 28k on my Triumph and it is time to replace the chain. Sprockets are good. Could I have gotten 30k out of my chain if I cleaned and lubed every month? Perhaps. But I'll spend that time riding. YRMV
 
Maxima Chainwax every 500 miles on mine. Perform a thorough cleaning of the chain with every oil change. Used to use WD40 but have switched to the factory recommended kerosene for cleaning. Less messy.
 
Tirox Synthetic Chain Wax every 1000kms and kerosene clean every oil change or sooner if required. I used to do the clean and lube every 300 miles like the manual states, but found this was way overkill for my own situation. My chain hasn't stretched a bit since I adjusted it at the 1000km first service 12k ago.
 
lukeduck_imp said:
Like they said, and don't overtighten. No scrub brushes on O-ring chains.
I had picked up a chain cleaning brush when I got the bike, hadn't owned a chain bike for years. I haven't done the chain yet but... I shouldn't use this for cleaning/maintenance on the CB1100 O-ring chain then? :huh:

I also got a can of Maxima CleanUp Spray and PJ1 Blue Label Chain Lube based on their recommendation.
 
About every 600 mi. Have over 9k miles and chain is still spec - no adjustment needed yet. Use Honda graphite lube and clean once a year with Motorex.
 
Brushes can damage O-rings. Once the O-ring seal is gone the lub will leak out. Few years back I gave my now ex son-in-law my GSX750F. I had purchased it with 800 miles. One of the first maint. items was to adjust the chain, 1/2-3/4 inches of slack with rider on the bike. Then remove all grease, wax, and other stuff from chain. Apply light coating of DuPont Multi Purpose Lube (now called Chain Saver). Quick wipe down with rag and the DuPont product about every 500 miles. He called me about a year ago and reported 42,000 miles on the the chain. An over tight chain tends to not last too long. Anyway, that's the way this old fart does it, and by the way don't wash the motorcycle, you could spend that time riding or drinking Rum. Ride safe, far, and often.
 
Every 500mi. Put bike up on center stand. Take shape rag and liberally spray some WD40 on it and wipe the chain to clean grease and grime build up. Spray down with a good chain lube like Yamalube and good to go. Pretty simple.
 
My ATK 605 manual claimed that using kerosene or WD-40 on chains would ruin the o-rings.

My '13 CB1100 just rolled 28,600 mi. and the chain adjust indicator is just now in the green. Very little wear showing. I expect the stock chain to last at least 50,000 mi. I'll let you know.

I use 3-in-one teflon oil as a protectant when the chain is warm or after riding in rain. Since the o-rings seal in the lubricant from the factory, what we're really doing is protecting the exterior of the chain, not lubricating it, unless the o-rings have already failed in which case it may be time for new chain/sprockets.

I ride on dusty dirt/gravel roads and I agree that certain chain "lubes" will attract dirt and accelerate wear on the components.
 
I have roughly 2k miles on the bike and I've only had to adjust once. I use a chain wax also. Does this bike come with a superb chain or why are we so lucky with little adjustments? I had to adjust my other bikes pretty often compared to this.
 
Since the chain is sealed with o-rings, what we are doing is lubricating the pressure surfaces between the chain and sprockets. This will be more important to the life of the sprocket than the chain.

Obviously, over application of lubricant can cause build up of road grime so it is important to remove excess after applying lube.
 
dr_rock_imp said:
I have roughly 2k miles on the bike and I've only had to adjust once. I use a chain wax also. Does this bike come with a superb chain or why are we so lucky with little adjustments? I had to adjust my other bikes pretty often compared to this.
I think it's just the combination of the steel sprockets and factory 530 chain on a (relatively) low-powered bike. This combined with the fact that alot of people don't seem to beat and wind on our CB'S as much as other bikes.
 
Back
Top