How many modern retro motorcycles are still being offered today?

The last I read which was maybe a year ago, is that Nortons were starting to be delivered to those that had put deposits down amd had waited years to get them, starting in California, but that is absolutely the last word I had heard and truthfully had forgotten all about the Norton deal. Never heard of anyone actually receiving one.

Ok just did some googling and can't find any evidence of new Nortons actually being delivered in the US. Found a report of one being delivered in the UK, however that fellow is in the process of suing the company because of issues he had with the one he recieved was so bad, eventually ending up with a blown motor and no response from the company after being promised a refund. That was from 2016.
 
Thread starter
Wow, that's incredibly sad. Especially considering that I thought the whole reprising Norton thing (along with the bikes themsleves) was one of the more interesting stories in the world of motorcycling over the past few years.
Maybe someone should get one of those Monkey concept bikes out to the guy with the blown Norton ASAP just to put a little smile back on his face, lol.
 
Guth_imp said:
Wow, that's incredibly sad. Especially considering that I thought the whole reprising Norton thing (along with the bikes themsleves) was one of the more interesting stories in the world of motorcycling over the past few years.
Maybe someone should get one of those Monkey concept bikes out to the guy with the blown Norton ASAP just to put a little smile back on his face, lol.
The "new" Nortons do exist. I've seen as many as 3 at a time on the showroom floor at a dealer near me here in FL. I sat on them, pretty nice bikes but just not quite my cup of tea, and pretty expensive. Their website (link below) says they now have one in stock:
https://www.eurocyclesoftampabay.co...ake=norton#page=xNewInventory&make=norton
 
Thanks Mike. Wonder why that didn't pop up on a google search? At any rate I guess that is good news.
 
Speaking of Norton, I took a pic of this one that was on my local euro dealer's showroom back in the spring time.

d2a538fc512d54319c6522be7df0a26a.jpg


By summer, it was sold, but another one just like it (w/ carbon fiber cafe tail) got put in its place.

and it's also gone!
 
US$20,000 for a British twin is a lot of money. All the café racer add-ons really destroy the classic look of the machine. Looks like something someone with a lot of money assembled in their garage.

In the early 70s the Commando was the most handsome of the British motorcycles. It had a reputation of being faster than either the Triumph Bonneville or BSA Lightning. But that really depended on the rider rather than the bike.


The Norton was not a very reliable motorcycle, or I probably would have owned one. The air filter had a habit of disappearing on long rides. The rear taillight assembly would also tear itself free of the rear fender. Not much use anyway because the vibration of the motor usually shattered the bulb filament. Under hard riding fourth gear would shed a tooth or two.

I remember coming back from Mosport (Motorsports) Park when a friend's Commando went sour. Obviously this had happened before because he knew exactly what to do. With the cover of a matchbook he set the gauge of the points. A discarded popsicle stick by the side of the road was used to hold open the spark advance. A cigarette paper was used to set the timing. Five minutes later he was back on the road.

Good movie about a ride on Norton Commando from Toronto to Vancouver on You Tube call One Week.
 
One Week is a great movie

We carried Norton's for a short time at a dealership I worked for in the early 70's. We had lots of issues with them. They sounded great when running though. They were considered the best looking of the Brit bikes although personally I preferred the look of the Triumph Bonnevilles of the late 70's. Twins, pre counter balancers were shakers, that's for sure whether Norton, Triumph, BSA, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki or Honda. Once they discovered counter balancing is when parallel twins became viable motorcycle motors to me. Even still, most of the p twins I have ridden in recent years have been vibrators of notice. Notable exception for me was my 2003 Triumph T100. Incredibly smooth for a P2.
 
the Norton's were good looking bikes but could be stubborn to start.
I rode with a group on NCO's in the mid 70's and one Marine had an 850 Commando . he was a small guy and had so much trouble getting it started especially when hot . many times i would relieve him and kick on it a while . It did sound great but was not as fast at my CB750K at least with him riding it . I became very fond of electric starters
 
The British twins really thumped because both pistons rose and fell at the same time. The crankshaft flywheel on my BSA Lightnings was huge and heavy. But that's what gave them their great torque, that lumpy feel, and gorgeous exhaust note.

I rode my friends Yamaha 650 one day and it felt wimpy because of the opposed pistons.

My CB500XA was very smooth for a twin. It did not have the same strong feeling as my 650cc BSAs, but it was quick. Both were supposed to be 48 horsepower, but the 500 had fuel injection and a 6-speed transmission.
 
use2b_imp said:
the Norton's were good looking bikes but could be stubborn to start.
I rode with a group on NCO's in the mid 70's and one Marine had an 850 Commando . he was a small guy and had so much trouble getting it started especially when hot . many times i would relieve him and kick on it a while . It did sound great but was not as fast at my CB750K at least with him riding it . I became very fond of electric starters
All the British bikes had a multi step procedure needed to start them. Open both fuel taps, tickle the carbs, give the kick starter a few easy kicks to free the clutch plates. Move the pistons to top dead center. You could always tell because it was point of the most compression. The kick starter had to be released and then brought to the top of its swing so you could give the motor a good spin. Some also had a lever on the handlebar to adjust the carburetion and idle. The setting varied depending on the warmth of the motor.

It was always my experience that the more you needed a British bike to start quickly (stalled at a new green light) the more trouble she gave you.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
The British twins really thumped because both pistons rose and fell at the same time. The crankshaft flywheel on my BSA Lightnings was huge and heavy. But that's what gave them their great torque, that lumpy feel, and gorgeous exhaust note.

I rode my friends Yamaha 650 one day and it felt wimpy because of the opposed pistons.

My CB500XA was very smooth for a twin. It did not have the same strong feeling as my 650cc BSAs, but it was quick. Both were supposed to be 48 horsepower, but the 500 had fuel injection and a 6-speed transmission.
I believe the Yammie XS650 had a 360 degree crank, with both pistons rising and falling together.

My KZ750 twins also had this configuration. The primary vibration was rough. Eventually causing some parts to fall off due to metal fatigue.
 
I had a XS650 with the 360° straight-twin, too. Loved it, but the sound was kind of boring.

Also I had a CB500T with a 180° straight-twin, the successor of the CB450.

The XS650 just made "rrrrrrr", while the CB500T had a much more interesting exhaust note because of the irregular firing interval present in 180° crank engines.
 
I had 3 650 Yamahas.. 73 TX650, 79 XS 650, and 81 XS 650 Special. Really liked the bikes, but they were not what I would call civilized lol
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Wow, an Earles fork. Now THAT'S retro!
Lol, I was pretty shocked myself. But what a pretty bike! And not expensive. I'd get one just to put in the living room. That thing makes the CB1100 look like Star Wars or something.

Here again we see an Asian power plant, this time from China, along with some other minor components from foreign shores.

Light System
Calipers and master cylinder
Engine (China)
Air Filter
Carburetor (Kei Hin Technology)
IKON Suspension (Australia)

The rest of it's homemade. And four shocks; not just two, but four.

The thing probably requires a light touch to ride, but what a conversation starter.
Just watched this video. Unbelievable.
 
2016 Guzzi rally in Datil New Mexico (or was it 2015?) a fellow showed up with a very nice toy hauler trailer. One of the toys was a new Norton. Oh man, what a good looking bike. He rode it too.
 
Back
Top