How many miles....



my tires at 5,400 miles, maybe couple more thousand. ordered Avon Roadriders today to have on hand. $224 from American Motorcycle Tire.
 
Thread starter
How am I getting so much better wear?
 
Wow Mr Carper, you've been doing some riding!
 
Aren't Avon Roadriders bias-ply tires? I thought the CB1100 came from the factory with Bridgestone or Dunlop radials, doesn't seem like a good idea to me to put bias-ply tires on a CB1100.

FWIW, I have nothing against bias-ply tires (I run Bridgestone BT45s on my Hawk GT), but when a bike is designed for radials I should think that would be the best way to go...(albeit at a higher cost than the Roadriders).

My .02 and all of that...
 
I got the bike 3/18/13. I have approx 5600 miles. Going to
NM next week, should break 7K before I get home...
gcarper_imp said:
my tires at 5,400 miles, maybe couple more thousand. ordered Avon Roadriders today to have on hand. $224 from American Motorcycle Tire.
Be glad your bike came with Bridgestones. My rear Dunlop
was toast at 4K (put a 170/50/R18 BT45 on) and my frt
will be histroy in about a thousand miles (at 5600 now).
Make sure the tires you get are radials. Bias ply tires will
spoil the handling. Bias ply stength in sidewall. Radial tire
has strength in riding surface and sidewall is suspension.
Suspension on CB1100 designed for radials and they are
much more expensive regreatably (my rear over $200 in-
stalled on the bike). Stock sizes only come from Honda.
 
Thread starter
I'm pretty sure he has the Dunlops.
 
I'm stuck at 1650 or so since June 15. I expect to get my bike back from the dealership about mid-way into August.
I am really hankering for a ride, I tell you what. I almost want to go and pony up the hundred bucks and some change to rent a Harley or something, just so I can ride for a day.. but I guess I will be patient.
 
Thread starter
What are they waiting on?
 
Randy B_imp said:
What are they waiting on?
Parts availability is limited since it's such a new model, is what I've been told. When I last talked to the shop, it was a muffler and a mirror that should come by the end of this upcoming week. There might have been some other things.
I'm out of town from Aug. 3 to 15, so I guess I get the bike some time after that.

The muffler wouldn't have happened if the tow truck guy hadn't dropped it on the right side when he came to pick it up :-/

Since it was all cosmetic damage I kind of wondered if I could maybe ride it while waiting for the parts to arrive, but my hunch is that since it's an insurance thing they probably want the shop to keep the bike until it's done.
 
Randy B_imp said:
I'm pretty sure he has the Dunlops.
Yes they are Dunlops and I have run bias tires on some of my other bikes and found no problem and also have run with a radial on the front and a bias on the rear. no problem, and I do love mountain roads so ride them hard and I ride a lot Ferret, generally 3 days a week. If the Roadriders don't work, I'll just have to change them, but I had very good luck with them on my Interceptor, Vstrom DL1000 and BMW K75. You guys will be the second to know how they work---I'm the first! LOL
Randy B_imp said:
How am I getting so much better wear?
Wish I knew or that you could figure it out. Mostly I get 4-5 thousand out of mine so these are good for me. I'm not a hot-rodder but ride hard in the mountains.
 
Thread starter
This is my first set of tires that are not Dunlops so......

I'm going to push them as far as I deem safe to due to the amount of miles I'm putting on this thing.
 
Picked mine up in mid-May. My commute is 25 mi one way and I have to carry a fair amount of computer equipment two days a week so I can't always ride. But I have joined the American Legion Riders so weekend runs are more frequent. I rolled 3100 mi on Saturday.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Wow Mr Carper, you've been doing some riding!
I do ride a lot, most of the time my bike is my car. Unless it's raining, snowing or I have to carry a large item the bike gets the call. So I rack up miles on the bike and the car gets just enough to keep the battery up. The winters are very mild here in SC and I have heated riding gear so the bike still gets ridden. I didn't have a car until I was 24 and that was because the AF assigned me to N Dakota in March and my wife was pregnant with our first born. I also have a Yamaha FZ1 and it has 27k miles in 2 years. Like my 2 wheels!!
 
This is just sad, AND embarrassing. :blush:
I was the first to take delivery AFAIK (at least from the posts over on advrider), and today I just turned over 1K miles. Two knee surgeries tends to limit saddle time. :(
Today was a blast though!!!!!!!!! Zero humidity and temp was in the lower 80s. I logged 120 miles just puttering around. Damn, it was good to be back in the saddle.
Jim
 
Thread starter
It's not sad, just the reality of life sometimes. I just happen to have a 115 mile round trip commute so I log A LOT of miles every week. I just hope my gas/money saving efforts aren't thwarted by maintenance costs.
 
Inline4_imp said:
This is just sad, AND embarrassing. :blush:
I was the first to take delivery AFAIK (at least from the posts over on advrider), and today I just turned over 1K miles. Two knee surgeries tends to limit saddle time. :(
Today was a blast though!!!!!!!!! Zero humidity and temp was in the lower 80s. I logged 120 miles just puttering around. Damn, it was good to be back in the saddle.
Jim
good show Jim---just keep puttering
Randy B_imp said:
It's not sad, just the reality of life sometimes. I just happen to have a 115 mile round trip commute so I log A LOT of miles every week. I just hope my gas/money saving efforts aren't thwarted by maintenance costs.
That's my worry too, we are both coming up on the 8k valve check and hope it doesn't cost a bundle. Having a valve check on my FZ1 this week, but it has 27k miles on. Yamaha calls for check at 26K which is in keeping with what most do. My Vstrom called for a check at 16k miles and 20 after that.
 
Hey Randy ..... What mileage are you up to now? Still on same rear Bridgestone?
 
Thread starter
I'm hovering just over 12,400. I'm carpooling with a co-worker now that I have switched schedules and that is SOOO nice.
Yes I'm still on the original rear Bridgestone.
 
Back
Top