How long do you plan on keeping your CB?

I am glad that you explained that the bikes are hanging from the ceiling and not the family members , being Texas you are never certain.
 
Roper_imp said:
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
I've seen 72 summers, and thought the CB would be my last bike. It's relatively small, I think, (5'10" 200lbs), and easy to move around. My Bmr is the bruiser. It has got away from me twice, both times while stopped, and over it went. I could not pick it up, and needed help both times. I am thinking of going the dual-sport or adventure route, with only one bike. I like those Triumph Tigers, but I don't know if I could pick up its 474 lbs myself, but I think it would be a great do-it-all in TX, if we ever get there, that is. I may just take the Honda, and see what is available in TX. One thing I like about SoCal, it is the used car, truck, bike, boat, whatever, of the world.
Replace "car" with "gun" and you have the same dynamic in TX. If you end up in the Dallas / Fort Worth area, visit DFW Honda in Grapevine often. They're good people. That's where I bought my CB1100 five years ago. The place is part museum. They have dozens of classic Hondas on display. Most of them were owned by family members. It's quite a trip to see them (the bikes, not the family members) suspended from the ceiling. ;)
Replace "car" with "gun" and you have the same dynamic in TX. If you end up in the Dallas / Fort Worth area, visit DFW Honda in Grapevine often. They're good people. That's where I bought my CB1100 five years ago. The place is part museum. They have dozens of classic Hondas on display. Most of them were owned by family members. It's quite a trip to see them (the bikes, not the family members) suspended from the ceiling. ;)
That's good to know, Roper. We're looking at somewhere around Ft. Worth, and I'll keep DFW Honda in mind.
 
When my Honda dealer said he has sold over 900 bikes this year alone (small city, many other brands and dealers) I asked "how come", cause I don't see that many bikes out on the streets. This lead us into discussing the estimated turn around time, in other words how long does the average owner keep his bike before he trades it for another one. His guess was 2-4 years. I couldn't believe it. Seriously.
It doesn't make sense with respect to
- losses incurred which are the highest in the first years,
- (n)ever getting really experienced on one bike beyond the very basics,
- the environment when you consider manufacturing, shipping, etc.
- sex-appeal ? (right, at our age ;))
It doesn't make sense at all.

But here is what it does,
- in your own perception it may make you look more important in the eyes of others, "look at this, the guy with the latest gadget !"
- it provides the repeated, wonderful feeling of "more shopping" ever other year, in case you have nothing else to do with your life,
- it keeps your credit esteem high (not to be confused with your credit rating), as long as you can keep up with the bills.

And then there is the CB1100. People don't buy her (low sales numbers), when they do they keep her (see posts), even the guys who bought her and got disappointed in the beginning ... write posts how much they love her.

Thank you Honda for a great cicle, thank you Guth and Cormanus and all the others for this great forum.
 
4 Ever! This is in my mind, the best bike ever built. I will own other bikes, already have my lowrider, but will keep the CB till death do us part!
 
j3gq_imp said:
When my Honda dealer said he has sold over 900 bikes this year alone (small city, many other brands and dealers) I asked "how come", cause I don't see that many bikes out on the streets. This lead us into discussing the estimated turn around time, in other words how long does the average owner keep his bike before he trades it for another one. His guess was 2-4 years. I couldn't believe it. Seriously.
It doesn't make sense with respect to
- losses incurred which are the highest in the first years,
- (n)ever getting really experienced on one bike beyond the very basics,
- the environment when you consider manufacturing, shipping, etc.
- sex-appeal ? (right, at our age ;))
It doesn't make sense at all.

But here is what it does,
- in your own perception it may make you look more important in the eyes of others, "look at this, the guy with the latest gadget !"
- it provides the repeated, wonderful feeling of "more shopping" ever other year, in case you have nothing else to do with your life,
- it keeps your credit esteem high (not to be confused with your credit rating), as long as you can keep up with the bills.

And then there is the CB1100. People don't buy her (low sales numbers), when they do they keep her (see posts), even the guys who bought her and got disappointed in the beginning ... write posts how much they love her.

Thank you Honda for a great cicle, thank you Guth and Cormanus and all the others for this great forum.
"everyone has an invisible sign hanging from their neck that says, make me feel important "
 
Interesting thread. I bought the CB because it's a good lookin' jack-of-all trades, and at less than $4k used, it's heck of a deal.

That being said, I could probably be talked out owning it one day. It's a little heavy and cumbersome for heavy city/traffic riding, and the lack of wind protection makes for unpleasant longer rides (how others can tour on this bike is beyond me!). I think if I could split the CB into two bikes, I'd take a RE Interceptor 650 for in-town riding and perhaps a Africa Twin for longer day trips.

On the other hand, the thought of double oil changes, tire replacements and garage space isn't very appealing, so maybe I should just be happy with the one bike I have!

As many have noted, the grass is always greener . . .
 
Grass is always greener on the other side because there is more bulls##t on the other side and that will make the grass greener . ( living in WI with all the cows proves this point.)
 
I’ve owned 4-5 bikes simultaneously for the past 25 years. When I sold my DLX to rickcb a few months ago, I had no intention of replacing it, primarily for health reasons. The CB was one of my all-time favorite bikes and it was bittersweet to see it go, but it was something that I felt I needed to do. Call it a wild hair. No regrets (yet) and I hope rick gets as much enjoyment from that jewel as I did.

Even though I knew I wouldn’t be able to replace the DLX, the gaping hole it left in my garage proved too tempting to not refill. So, despite my intention of permanently paring down the fleet, I succumbed to a ‘12 R1200R Classic. It takes on the weekend role that my DLX had held, but with its spoke wheels, Telelever, and shaft drive, I think it meets my needs a little better. The styling of the R12R is a bit polarizing (unlike the CB, which everyone seems to adore), but I really like it, plus it’s nearly 100 lbs. lighter than the DLX. For me, for now, that’s important.

2effabe29e2fbdf0205c7a0b432ada8a.jpg



b99a19b98f98054b1678f1d1a698431a.jpg
 
LongRanger_imp said:
I’ve owned 4-5 bikes simultaneously for the past 25 years. When I sold my DLX to rickcb a few months ago, I had no intention of replacing it, primarily for health reasons. The CB was one of my all-time favorite bikes and it was bittersweet to see it go, but it was something that I felt I needed to do. Call it a wild hair. No regrets (yet) and I hope rick gets as much enjoyment from that jewel as I did.

Even though I knew I wouldn’t be able to replace the DLX, the gaping hole it left in my garage proved too tempting to not refill. So, despite my intention of permanently paring down the fleet, I succumbed to a ‘12 R1200R Classic. It takes on the weekend role that my DLX had held, but with its spoke wheels, Telelever, and shaft drive, I think it meets my needs a little better. The styling of the R12R is a bit polarizing (unlike the CB, which everyone seems to adore), but I really like it, plus it’s nearly 100 lbs. lighter than the DLX. For me, for now, that’s important.

2effabe29e2fbdf0205c7a0b432ada8a.jpg



b99a19b98f98054b1678f1d1a698431a.jpg
May better health follow our changing ways LR. :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
I rented an R1200R when I went to Europe. Thought it was a nice bike. Considered the " Classic" when it was Introduced, but just couldn't bring myself to buy a BMW.

Glad you found a nice one. Still have the RT too?
 
How long? 6 digit mileage for sure. There will probably always be a second more practical bike in my garage. But that position will change hands over the years. The CB isn't going anywhere.
 
I'd count that decision good news LR. :thumbsup:

I like the look of the BMW.
 
I have a 2000 BMW R1100RT, with 100k mi. on it. I didn't put those on, bought it that way, for a very good price. Runs like a top, but it is heavy. I was looking for a hard bag, windshielded bike for touring, but I'm not touring like I had hoped, so I'll be putting it up for sale, probably sooner than later.
 
Forever.

I haven't posted recently....been way busy work-wise, and haven't been doing the forum thing. I have been riding though. I have 4 bikes (well really five counting the one that I keep in my daughter's garage in LA). I put roughly 15K on my bikes a year. 8K goes on the CB1100. 5K goes on the BMW RnineT, 1.5K goes on the Triumph Speedmaster, and 250 or so goes on both my old BMW R1200C (which only has 10K on the odo) and my Samurider decked out Yamaha SR400.

Of these, the last two that I'd get rid of are the Yamaha (I love tooling around the surface streets of LA on that thing...and I can't help but love the kick start) and the CB. And the CB will need my estate to figure out how to get rid of it.

I don't do a ton of long distance riding. Mostly commutes to the office and mainly in good weather, or fun weekend rides. Of all of these, the CB is the most fun.

I have always been as much of a fan of form as much as function. The CB1100 (particularly since I have replaced the tank, seats and side covers with the K10 treatment) delivers both more than any other bike.

I know it's goofy, and the flavor of the month, but I'm considering getting rid of the Triumph and replacing it with a new R18. I know it'll fall into the under 2K per year category, but I dig the different style.

In any case, the CB1100 will be the last bike I ever own. I'm getting longer in the tooth now (I'm 57), and I hear the concerns with the weight, but I've never had a hint of an issue with heft of the bike. It's super easy to shove around and control.
 
I'll own my 2014 CB1100 a long time. It really is a great bike... and I've owned quite a few in my 60 years. Overall quality is top notch for a fairly inexpensive bike (I purchased used). I get tons of compliments on my cafe racer inspired CB. Most people think it's a "new" bike :D Living in southern Arizona, I ride 365 days/year. I split my time between the CB and a 2018 KLR 650. It's nice having two completely different style of bikes to choose from each day depending on weather conditions, cargo, purpose, and mood.
 
Back
Top