How long do you plan on keeping your CB?

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Me?

Here a HINT .........

05c15df90882d86d20d7c4e4e47a3fbd.jpg
 
Ferret, you really hit me hard with this question...
I do not want to be separated at all, unless a 6 cyl will be resurrected the same way as the CB was...I know is a dream wish....but dreaming is what keeps me alive, strong, playful and young at my age of under 100 :)
 
I had planned that the CB would be my last bike but things happen and we move on. The CB1100 is one of the finest bikes I ever owned, maybe the best in overall satisfaction. It's replacement does not draw much attention as the CB but it's well suited to my present needs and far easier to ride on the dirt road that fronts my house. Honda built a jewel in the CB1100 but very few riders knew. My last ride on the CB was to deliver it to the new owner, a friend who also appreciates what he now has. That makes me feel good about it.
 
It is a tough question. They talk about the 7-year itch and I've now had the CB a little over 7 years. I still hope the answer is 'until one of us falls to pieces'. On most reckonings, that's more likely to be me than the CB which means facing the possibility that, like redbirds, it will become a little too large and cumbersome for me. I hope not.
 
That is a good question , a little like I posted a while ago : How long do you keep riding. Depending on my health I probably stop in 5 years riding my CB 1100's and buy a smaller bike but this could change . Last year I started to look at buying an old English car but changed my mind to a new Mini Country Man. Last week my wife and I went to Hendrick Mini in Charlotte to order the 2021 Country Man but she thought that it did not look Mini "enough" and we bought a 2021 Mini Cooper S 4 door Hardtop. This type of car can be customized like many of us did with our CB 1100.
It would be very hard to give up my bikes after riding for 57 years but still better than when the bikes give up on you. ONLY TIME WILL TELL.
 
To be honest, I have thought about getting a sport touring motorcycle and selling the CB. But then, when I think that I'd be lucky to get $5,000 for the CB, and I'd spend at least $15,000 for a sport tourer, I realize that I can do a heck of lot of other things with $10K. It's the same with my truck. I really like my truck. It has almost 200,000 miles on it, but it's still going strong and does everything I want to do with it. A new truck for $70K? Umm...no. So, with the CB and with the F-150, I'll drive them until they get too expensive to fix.
 
can I reply something sacrilegious?

I'll do with my CB the same I'm planning to do with my current car: keeping it till a valid hybrid or (even better) electric alternative appears on the market.

having tried both the HD Livewire and the Electric Vespa, I can comfortably say that (sadly, because of a lot of things but also happily, because of a lot of other ones) electrified vehicles will be the future.

Trust me, and I was the most skeptical person about that: you must try an electric motorcycle! it will blow your mind
 
Thread starter
Tried a Zero S. It was interesting, and I could see owning one at $10K or less, but not at $20K

I always said electric was the perfect powerplant for a scooter which are generally urban driven, short distances, by younger people who can appreciate electric powerplants. Issued to own a Yamaha 400 Majusty scooter and enjoyed it for short trip riding
 
I dont think the above two perspectives are mutually exclusive. Electric motorcycles are at the same time mind-blowing to ride and wholly impractical in today's world. Another 20 years. Thats all it will take, but not now. Gives me plenty of time to put 100,000 miles on my cb
 
I hope my '17ex is somebody's future barn-find...meaning, I need to "buy the farm' first.
 
I like this topic. It brings to light a number of questions and I think I have them answered.

First off I am 58 and have been riding since before I was 16. During those 42 years of riding I have had a number of bikes. Now at 58 I think I have refined my Keeper List to what you see below as my "Signature". I will be selling the Indian very soon as it is just not a usable bike. I have debated selling and reducing but to choose from the 7 left I just cannot do it.

But let's get back to my Keeper List, it is a collection of bikes with meaning and a great variety of riding styles. Variety is the spice of life right? I think my list is done. OH I will still do the Buy-an-Flip bikes as a hobby or repair bikes as I get the jobs but this is a good list for me. The CB1100 was the last of the list. A bike I can ride with absolute dependability. I can ride two-up with ease for trips around town with the wife. If I ever do longer trips it will get the job done with ease. With the mods done to it that makes it all the better and so much harder to get rid of.

I feel this bike will be with me till I just cannot ride it any longer. It just does the job required of it PERFECTLY with great looks.
 
I'll keep my CB1100 well into my '70s, hopefully - the bikes relatively heavy weight will be what determines that. Then my Bonneville. I'll keep them even if it's just to ride them around the block. Smaller, lighter bikes are in my future.
 
Good question. I am pretty sure that I will keep the CB until I just cannot ride it anymore, or until I really need the money for other more important issues (health, kids, etc). It is just a too beautiful machine. When I see it standing there next to my Moto Guzzi Griso, I just can stare at these 2 bikes for hours. Wonderful examples of how to combine technology and art.
 
You’re both right: that’s exactly what i meant by saying “a valid hybrid or electric alternative”: one with the right price, because for the moment electric technogy costs way too much, and also practical as my CB: i think that in about 10 years we’ll have the technology to charge the batteries in 5 minutes and have about 600kms of range, because just look at what they’ve achieved at the moment; 10 years ago it would have seemed impossible! And now that manufacturers are investing in electric technology like never before, who knows what the future has for us..
 
Well, planning to keep riding her till either she's too broken to fix, or I am no longer capable. But that's what I said for the previous bikes I own too...:D
 
I deliberately grabbed the chance to get mine when I did as I don't see anything better than it coming out under the increasingly strict Euro emissions regulations. So this is my last bike!
 
Might be easier to just swap out motorcycle batteries at recharge stations and move on.

I am sure the powers that be will put on additional user fees (tax) for discretional fossil fuel burning vehicles in the future.
 
Back
Top