How do you Transport Bike if needed

Doug Shepard_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I am hoping the bikes fits in here, I think it will and I had it built with 4 corner strap rings and wall slots for straps also has a ramp door. Might be able to make a Rally yet if not to far.....
867d67acdf23d34912499b0513ca2cd8.jpg
 
Two ratchet straps in front from the handlebars down to the front tie down points, two ratchet straps from the rear frame down to the rear tie down points. DO NOT put the bike on either the side or center stands, it must be standing upright. You can get motorcycle chocks at harbor freight to help stand the bike up while installing the straps.
 
Thread starter
kennyw_imp said:
Two ratchet straps in front from the handlebars down to the front tie down points, two ratchet straps from the rear frame down to the rear tie down points. DO NOT put the bike on either the side or center stands, it must be standing upright. You can get motorcycle chocks at harbor freight to help stand the bike up while installing the straps.
I have no center stand from prior owner installing the Moriwaki header so I am good, Thanks
 
I would suggest making the lower triple tree the tie down point in the front over the bars. The weight of the bike can easily bend the bars in an impact.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
chync_imp said:
I would suggest making the lower triple tree the tie down point in the front over the bars. The weight of the bike can easily bend the bars in an impact.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
point taken, Thanks!
 
Agree with using the lower triple clamp for tie downs. Also, if possible, I like to anchor the rear wheel to the trailer floor with a small length of rope around the rim/tyre. This prevents the rear end bouncing up and sideways should your trailer hit large bumps at speed.
 
Doug Shepard_imp said:
I am hoping the bikes fits in here, I think it will and I had it built with 4 corner strap rings and wall slots for straps also has a ramp door. Might be able to make a Rally yet if not to far.....
867d67acdf23d34912499b0513ca2cd8.jpg
Hey Doug:

What is the anticipated size of the trailer? 6'x10'?

Two bikes?

Anticipated cost of the trailer?

Manufacturer/seller's website?

Thanks!
 
Aussieflyer_imp said:
Agree with using the lower triple clamp for tie downs. Also, if possible, I like to anchor the rear wheel to the trailer floor with a small length of rope around the rim/tyre. This prevents the rear end bouncing up and sideways should your trailer hit large bumps at speed.
If you do this, be very careful to clean the wheel first and to wrap it with a soft cloth between the rope or strap and the wheel rim to avoid marring the finish of the wheel. With a chrome steel wheel rim there is not much risk, but with any other finish you can easily leave a mark since the bike will be vibrating and moving a tiny bit.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
apex1: I reckon you are referring to "friction burning" finished surfaces with bare straps. Yes.
Correct. Burning or even polishing of a brushed or matte finish. Don't ask me how I know. :s
 
m in sc_imp said:
also +1 for the lower tree. run strap though it on each side, both hooks on eyelet in trailer. use small tiny bungee, wrap around front brake lever to lock front brakes. or use zip tie.
Great note regarding front brake.
 
Another tip from experience. If you decide to put the bike on the center stand be careful about how you tighten the straps. If you do the rear first it will prevent the bike from moving forward (and potentially coming down off the center stand) when tightening the front. I sinch the rear first and then tighten the front as tight as I can to take any slack tension out of the rear straps. Works for me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
When I've taken my bike to Tasmania which requires an overnight journey on a ferry across an often very rough stretch of water, they require you to put the bike in neutral on the side stand. They then strap the bars to lashing points on the deck and pull them down tightly. The front brake is applied and held in place with a band.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
When I've taken my bike to Tasmania which requires an overnight journey on a ferry across an often very rough stretch of water, they require you to put the bike in neutral on the side stand. They then strap the bars to lashing points on the deck and pull them down tightly. The front brake is applied and held in place with a band.
That is interesting..
 
chync_imp said:
I would suggest making the lower triple tree the tie down point in the front over the bars. The weight of the bike can easily bend the bars in an impact.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is good advice. Never use your handlebars as a tie down attachment point. I always use the fork tubes between the upper and lower triple clamps with soft ties. Another common mistake is compressing the forks. This is not needed. Run your straps straight out to the left and right. This will keep the bike from falling over. No side or center stand needed. Run another strap under the engine straight forward with a soft tie to the frame. This will keep the bike from rocking backward. Run another strap straight backwards with a soft tie to the rear wheel. Done.
 
DBM_imp said:
chync_imp said:
I would suggest making the lower triple tree the tie down point in the front over the bars. The weight of the bike can easily bend the bars in an impact.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is good advice. Never use your handlebars as a tie down attachment point. I always use the fork tubes between the upper and lower triple clamps with soft ties. Another common mistake is compressing the forks. This is not needed. Run your straps straight out to the left and right. This will keep the bike from falling over. No side or center stand needed. Run another strap under the engine straight forward with a soft tie to the frame. This will keep the bike from rocking backward. Run another strap straight backwards with a soft tie to the rear wheel. Done.
This is good advice. Never use your handlebars as a tie down attachment point. I always use the fork tubes between the upper and lower triple clamps with soft ties. Another common mistake is compressing the forks. This is not needed. Run your straps straight out to the left and right. This will keep the bike from falling over. No side or center stand needed. Run another strap under the engine straight forward with a soft tie to the frame. This will keep the bike from rocking backward. Run another strap straight backwards with a soft tie to the rear wheel. Done.
(+1) I think the CAA (your AAA equivalent) does something very similar when picking up a m/c on a flatbed. Definitely no center/side stands used.
 
m in sc_imp said:
also +1 for the lower tree. run strap though it on each side, both hooks on eyelet in trailer. use small tiny bungee, wrap around front brake lever to lock front brakes. or use zip tie.
I would recommend this only if the temperature will remain stable. I've seen a few disasters here in the desert where someone tried that trick in the morning, then when the afternoon heat kicked it, the brake fluid expanded and blew the seals on the calipers.

Even had it happen to my plane once when I mistakenly left the (hydraulic) parking brake on during a lunch stop.
 
Never engage the hydrallics to hold your bike in place. Brakes are designed for intermitent use not constant pressure on the seals and cups. Never use the side stand or center stand. You want the suspension to be active to absorb bumps and vibration.
 
Back
Top