How do you guys winterize??

0011bc_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Some Stabilizer? Center stand? Carpet under front tiers? Battery Tender?

That's my plan for my CBs first winter.


Any tips would be great!
 
how about petrol additives to stop the valves goo-ing up? Maybe some vaseline or such on exposed moving metal parts like brakehandles and such? Something to keep the chain lubricated maybe? Also a cover of some sort to keep as much as possible dust off everything?
 
That's a good start.

In addition, I also do the following (but some of this depends on the climate and where the bike is to be stored):

- Fresh Oil
- Thorough Cleaning and Waxing
- Rust Inhibitor Spray on inner Fenders...
- Clean and Lube Chain
- Lube any Pivot Points
- General Inspection
- Bike Cover
 
Thread starter
rhtizzy_imp said:
how about petrol additives to stop the valves goo-ing up? Maybe some vaseline or such on exposed moving metal parts like brakehandles and such? Something to keep the chain lubricated maybe? Also a cover of some sort to keep as much as possible dust off everything?

Yes. A fuel stabilizer. Same thing you're talking about.
 
I swap out my small, summer windshield for the bigger one,,, and enjoy the best riding weather of the year. :D
 
Flynrider_imp said:
I swap out my small, summer windshield for the bigger one,,, and enjoy the best riding weather of the year. :D
My first winter with my CB coming up. Thinking about getting a winter windshield, what do you use?
Thanks
Crutch in the ozarks
 
Good clean and wax.
Fuel Stabilizer (seafoam)
Chain cleaned and lubed
Oil change (old oil is acidic, so best not to let it sit).
Rear tire on pit stand
Battery removed and stored, and thrown on the trickle 3 or 4 times over winter.

I don't cover it, save for a felt blanket over the tank. Depending on where you store it (and basically if this is anywhere but a heated garage) it may be best to not cover it. The cover will trap condensation and it can be worse for your bike than just leaving it exposed.
 
Thread starter
HA!

We have a couple of comedians here!

Well as much as I'd like to ride in the winter it surely is not possible in the "frozen tundra."


I wasn't planning on covering it It will be tucked away in my unheated garage, but I will be doing pretty much everything else suggested here.

thanks!
 
I seem to recall that you should either get the weight off the tyres or, if you can't
—for example because the bike is on the center stand—over inflate them.
 
0011bc_imp said:
HA!

We have a couple of comedians here!

Well as much as I'd like to ride in the winter it surely is not possible in the "frozen tundra."


I wasn't planning on covering it It will be tucked away in my unheated garage, but I will be doing pretty much everything else suggested here.

thanks!
I live in the relatively temperate climate of Chicago, we get "frozen" but without the "tundra". I have ridden at least once/month for the last 32 (I think) months on my CB1100. I rarely have put it on the battery tender even in the dead of winter. That is the extent of my winterizing. However, I would not be overly worried about the tires. Modern tires will not flat spot as easily and rebound faster if they do. I just roll my bike a couple of inches every so often and haven't had a problem yet. Also, Stabil and a battery tender along with an oil change prior to storing seems to work on my wife's bike. She is not a fan of riding on the frozen tundra, either....

 
Good clean and wax.
Chain cleaned and lubed
Battery tender
Tank full to the brim (to avoid condensation and rust)
Exhaust pipes plugged with plastic bags (id.)
Light,"breathing" cover ( for dust protection only)
Center stand

As I live in an alpine resort my bikes spend at least 3 months in my unheated garage ( winter is for skiing). Never had a problem. Ah, the sweet music of the engine waking up from hibernation at the first touch of the start button!
 
Like MTC I don't winterize either other than a few ounces of Seafoam in the tank from Nov to March and plugged into a battery tender jr when not riding. As long as there is no ice or snow on the road, my bikes get ridden

 
Fresh oil, some stabil, battery tender and a breathable cover. I ride during the winter as long as there is no ice or snow on the ground. When I do go for a spin I make sure to wipe the bike down real good to get off and salt left over on the road. I keep my bikes on the battery tender 24/7 all year long. The most my bike will sit during the harsh N.Y. winter is about 3 weeks, maybe a month depending on snow levels. Keeping on a tender even in the summer will really prolong your battery life.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
 
Gentlemen,

I thank God that I can finally ride again during the day. All summer it's so hot that I can only ride at night. December and January are two of the best months to ride here in Arizona.

Chip
 
Hi Folks,
Pushed the limit this weekend as temps hit 50 and went for a spin. Just topped off the tank & stabilizer, changed the oil.
Question. Does anybody put teaspoon of oil in each cylinder at end of season to protect cylinder walls?
 
G'day riderbob and welcome to the forum. I've not seen anyone on the forum say they put oil in the cylinders, but you never know.
 
Thats a pretty old school trick...much easier on parallel and V twins than on transverse inline 4s lol
 
Back
Top