How do you fuel up?

The ferret_imp said:
OFTEN .... 16 times in the last 4 days
:rofl: Man, no kidding.



Elipten_imp said:
Center stand mostly, side stand often. Never while sitting on bike.

Safety gentleman. Accidents never happen until the do. Bad practice IMHO.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I'm still curious how these accidents happen. I can only imagine it occurring if someone leaves the pump locked and the auto stop fails or they are simply not paying any attention while they are filling their tank. Not trying to start anything here, just truly curious.
 
Guth_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
OFTEN .... 16 times in the last 4 days
:rofl: Man, no kidding.



Elipten_imp said:
Center stand mostly, side stand often. Never while sitting on bike.

Safety gentleman. Accidents never happen until the do. Bad practice IMHO.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I'm still curious how these accidents happen. I can only imagine it occurring if someone leaves the pump locked and the auto stop fails or they are simply not paying any attention while they are filling their tank. Not trying to start anything here, just truly curious.
I've run across some badly maintained pumps. Not surprisingly in little gas stations out in the middle of nowhere. Both times I've had big spills it was because the pump handle (the part you squeeze) was sticky. When I released it, it just stayed where it was and kept pumping until I was able to use my other hand to pull it down and stop the flow. I never use the pump lock when fueling a motorcycle.

Last time I complained, the guy said he'd had a few complaints, but only from motorcycle riders. I pointed out that in a car, the auto shutoff feature stops the pump when gasoline backs up into the filler neck (regardless of the pump handle position). Motorcyclists generally do not stick the nozzle deep enough into the tank to allow this feature to work.

While I'm not really opposed to fueling while on the bike, I know myself. I could see a situation where I was distracted at just the wrong time. :(
 
Frulk_imp said:
Unlock the pump?
Our petrol pumps operate differently to the US. You pull up to the pump and take the nozzle off its hanger. That sounds an alarm inside the building and the attendant resets the pump allowing you to fill up. When you're done you go in and pay. Sit on the bike and they won't reset the pump so you can't use it.
 
Guth_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
OFTEN .... 16 times in the last 4 days
:rofl: Man, no kidding.



Elipten_imp said:
Center stand mostly, side stand often. Never while sitting on bike.

Safety gentleman. Accidents never happen until the do. Bad practice IMHO.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I'm still curious how these accidents happen. I can only imagine it occurring if someone leaves the pump locked and the auto stop fails or they are simply not paying any attention while they are filling their tank. Not trying to start anything here, just truly curious.
:rofl: Man, no kidding.
and another 5 times today :rolleyes:
 
Elipten_imp said:
Center stand mostly, side stand often. Never while sitting on bike.

Safety gentleman. Accidents never happen until the do. Bad practice IMHO.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

You could sit on your bike and overfill the tank until it leaks down the tank all day long- it will never ignite.
 
It's my assessment that centering the bike makes no appreciable difference in the amount of fuel the tank will accept. In any case, it's not advisable to overfill due to possible heat expansion and subsequent leakage. And no, I don't sit on the bike.
 
Guth_imp said:
I'm another one of those guys who fills the tank while still seated on the bike — occasionally I'll put the bike up on the centerstand.

This conversation first came up a few years ago here on the forum and a few members noted stories involving bikes/riders going up in flames when the fuel wouldn't shut off. I'm not sure what the odds are of this happening. I take my time and fill slowly to avoid a splashing gas. I never fully engage or lock the pump while fueling the bikes.

Has anyone here ever had a pump fail on them where it wouldn't shut off (and I'm not talking about a pump stuck in the locked position)?
i had a pump nozzle fail and the gas was pouring out of the joint where the hose connects to the handle. Gas was everywhere except in the tank. The problem was that we were on a ride and in the middle of The Hoosier National Forest on some back road or another and the next nearest station with a working pump (we hoped) was right at the end of my gas range. Made it, though, but barely.
 
The only time I've even seen a bike fueled with the rider aboard was in the middle of an endurance race at Loudon. Cultural differences!
 
I was told by a gas station owner that it's provincial law here that you must dismount to fuel up, but I often see the riders mounted while filling up.
I've never researched it so don't know if that's true or not, but I have always dismounted. I prefer to have both feet flat on the ground.
Most of the time I use the center stand, but have used the center stand also - especially if the next station may be some distance and I need a completely full tank.
 
It depends - if I'm in the zone gobbling up miles I'll just fuel up while sitting on the bike and keep riding. If I have to go inside to pay (there are still many places on the East Coast of Canada that don't have pumps that take cards) I will get off to fill it up.
 
enterlance_imp said:
Just wanna say in California we have this stupid fueling code that pumps are required to have a rubber ring on them to prevent gas spilling. It works for cars no problem, but I have to manually pull it all the way back to fuel my CB or gas won't come out.
Yes, I have to do the same thing all the time, I hate it.
 
Latinrudeboi13_imp said:
enterlance_imp said:
Just wanna say in California we have this stupid fueling code that pumps are required to have a rubber ring on them to prevent gas spilling. It works for cars no problem, but I have to manually pull it all the way back to fuel my CB or gas won't come out.
Yes, I have to do the same thing all the time, I hate it.
Yes, I have to do the same thing all the time, I hate it.
Ditto.
 
I’m curious if the 2017 tanks have the same annoying tendency as the 2013/2014 tanks to fill real slowly. For anyone unfamiliar, I fill my 2013 up as high as I feel comfortable, stop, watch the fuel level sink down slowly, top off again, and repeat about 5-10 times. It’s kind of irritating. I guess there’s some pockets/baffles in the tank that are slow to fill, not really sure tho. Is this unique to this particular tank?

Oh yeah: off the bike on the side stand. My butts choice usually, or else I’d just stay on.
 
Back
Top