How do you fuel up?

mjpark_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
So I question like this came up on another general motorcycle forum I read. Do you fuel your CB11 on the side stand, on the center stand, or sitting on the bike with it upright?

It never occurred to me to do it any differently than on the side stand with any bike I've owned. I don't have the manual on me, but does it say anything about this?

It probably doesn't make a difference which way you do it, right?
 
Side or Center stand for me. You will get a little more in on the center stand.

There is no way I'd fuel up while sitting on the bike. Anything goes wrong and you and/or the bike are covered in fuel. While sitting over a hot engine. Not for me. YMMV
 
I believe we discussed this last year:

Around town I fill on the side stand. Out on the open road out west here with a lot of 100 miles stretches w/o gas stations I fill on the center stand up to the very top of the neck.

I once filled the tank on the center stand to the top of the neck and rode 1/2 mile back to work and the bike sat under a blazing summer sun for 4.5 hrs. When I came out and started it the motor coughed, stuttered and balked and generally ran like crap for about 8 miles. I pulled over, vented the cap (don't remember hearing a rush of air escaping/entering) and in about a minute or two it ran fine. Haven't had that prob since and I no longer fill the tank to the top unless I'm going to immediately ride it.

I would add another vote option: Both
 
Correct-o-moondo, this was bantered about at length last year. I believe most folks suggested they parked on the sidestand to fill up. I just pull up to the nearest pump and fill up while I'm sitting on the bike. No need to get off as long as I can reach the pump with my credit card.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Side or Center stand for me. You will get a little more in on the center stand.

There is no way I'd fuel up while sitting on the bike. Anything goes wrong and you and/or the bike are covered in fuel. While sitting over a hot engine. Not for me. YMMV
Agreed...I cringe when I see folks sitting on the bike while filling the tank. I fill from the left side of the bike while it's on the side stand.
 
I sit on it while filling so that when it's almost full I can rock it back and forth slightly to get the fuel to settle down below the lower edge of the fill hole or whatever it is. No idea if this actually gets more in though.
 
Just wanna say in California we have this stupid fueling code that pumps are required to have a rubber ring on them to prevent gas spilling. It works for cars no problem, but I have to manually pull it all the way back to fuel my CB or gas won't come out.
 
All of the above.

Depends on my need to squeeze extra juice.

I have to say this is the most random post i've read in a while. Are we reaching the end of meaningful discussions? (just a joke)
 
I'm another one of those guys who fills the tank while still seated on the bike — occasionally I'll put the bike up on the centerstand.

This conversation first came up a few years ago here on the forum and a few members noted stories involving bikes/riders going up in flames when the fuel wouldn't shut off. I'm not sure what the odds are of this happening. I take my time and fill slowly to avoid a splashing gas. I never fully engage or lock the pump while fueling the bikes.

Has anyone here ever had a pump fail on them where it wouldn't shut off (and I'm not talking about a pump stuck in the locked position)?
 
enterlance_imp said:
Just wanna say in California we have this stupid fueling code that pumps are required to have a rubber ring on them to prevent gas spilling. It works for cars no problem, but I have to manually pull it all the way back to fuel my CB or gas won't come out.
Those California style nozzles were mandated here in the Phoenix area for many years. I really hated those things. They were a pain to use and your hands would smell like gas after every fill up. The seal is actually to capture gasoline vapors that come out of a tank as you fill it.

Fortunately, local stations were able to shift to a different type of vapor recovery system that did not have the big seal and bellows around the nozzle.

BTW, to the point of the thread, I always fill up on the side stand. I've had a few poorly maintained pumps stick on me in the past, and the auto shutoff feature (designed for car filler necks) won't always activate in time to prevent a spill.
 
Centre stand for me—most of the time anyway. There's no way you'd be allowed to fill your bike while sitting on it in Australia. I tried it once and they wouldn't unlock the pump until I got off.
 
Thread starter
Frulk_imp said:
I believe we discussed this last year:

Around town I fill on the side stand. Out on the open road out west here with a lot of 100 miles stretches w/o gas stations I fill on the center stand up to the very top of the neck.

I once filled the tank on the center stand to the top of the neck and rode 1/2 mile back to work and the bike sat under a blazing summer sun for 4.5 hrs. When I came out and started it the motor coughed, stuttered and balked and generally ran like crap for about 8 miles. I pulled over, vented the cap (don't remember hearing a rush of air escaping/entering) and in about a minute or two it ran fine. Haven't had that prob since and I no longer fill the tank to the top unless I'm going to immediately ride it.

I would add another vote option: Both

I once filled my jet black '74 CB750 tank to the rim in the same sun then went across the street for lunch. Came out about an hour later and the expansion caused the cap to leak and my tank was covered in gas.
 
OFTEN .... 16 times in the last 4 days
 
Ferret... either you do big k's or have mastered the art of filling up with the bike laying on it's engine covers !
 
Center stand mostly, side stand often. Never while sitting on bike.

Safety gentleman. Accidents never happen until the do. Bad practice IMHO.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
 
R748_imp said:
Ferret... either you do big k's or have mastered the art of filling up with the bike laying on it's engine covers !

lol it was 5 days actually. I'm at the rally this week and have ridden 1528 miles in the last 5 days.
 
Back
Top