Hot Hot Heat

AzBob_imp

Been there
Thread starter
The last two times I've ridden my CB (25 miles one-way, and 54 miles one-way), I've basically gotten the insides of my thighs cooked (my skin was red and it was very uncomfortable after about 20 minutes).

Now, it has been very hot out, as it usually is in southern Arizona during summer (> 108*F), so that's probably a contributing factor, but I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Coming back from the last go 'round, I couldn't wait to get off the bike. The CBR gets really hot, too, but the heat wafts up from the engine at stops, not while riding.

I don't sit particularly close to the tank, however I do keep my knees pinned to the tank as much as possible because it affords better control of the upper body. Both trips were mostly highway @ ~70mph most of the time. I filled the tank before coming back last time, because I've noticed in the past that cool gasoline in the tank does a decent job of insulating me from heat, but that didn't matter this time. At no time did the engine oil overheat light come on, so I have to imagine the engine was within normal operating parameters with regard to temperature. I'm guessing the engine is making the tank very hot, since that's the only thing my legs are touching. This is the first time I'm noticing this, but I don't recall how often I rode in the extreme heat last summer, if at all.

Thoughts?
 
While I can't speak directly to the CB1100 since I don't own one yet... I can say that when it's over 90 degrees here I feel the heat coming off of any bike that I ride unless it's my little 400 Twin. I think it's any larger displacement engine will throw heat off toward the rider. I feel it only a little on my legs but not to the point where my skin gets red. But I do always wear either Kevlar reinforced pants or a riding suit. I don't think your bike is cooking the gas in the tank, it's more likely that the heat is rising from the engine and flowing around the outside of the tank, making it seem to you that the tank and it's contents are heated.

Just my thoughts.
 
Wow, you are a pretty tough guy riding in that kind of heat. :worship: I don't enjoy it much around here when it's over 90, let alone 108! Given that a steak is cooked rare at 120-125, it seems it wouldn't take much engine heat on top of ambient temp. to fry you pretty good.
 
I think it's your riding conditions as I was commuting 115 miles a day with none of your described symptoms.
 
The few times I've been out in really hot weather (> 108F in the Utah Desert), I've found that leather wear gave decent protection from the heat. I could feel how HOT the outside of the clothing was getting. To keep cool meant stopping often to dump water inside my clothes. It sure didn't take very long for it all to evaporate even from inside the jacket and pants. I imagine that I was quite a spectacle at times stopping at a gas station to buy a large cup of ice which I would then just dump inside the front of my jacket and down the inside of my pants, ah relief !
(edit to clarify) Both the jacket and the pants were leather. Also on that particular trip I was on the road in that heat for about 200 - 250 miles. I carried a LOT of water with me, mainly for evaporative cooling.
 
It hasn't been that hot in Florida, but the temps have been in the 90's with a heat index of 100+. I have noticed heat from the engine flowing along my legs at slower speeds, but not to the point of discomfort like you describe.

However, on Saturday for the first time ever, I got the legendary TINK TINK TINK sound after a long ride as the bike cooled off in the garage.
 
Thread starter
cbdtran_imp said:
in high heat, wear pant, light ventilated leather jacket and high boot will protect your skin and legs.
I always wear a leather jacket (white, perforated Alpinestars), perforated leather gloves (also Alpinestars), boots (Sidi), and full-face helmet (Shoei) and long pants, albeit just blue jeans.

Just the insides of my thighs, the part touching the tank, are getting cooked. Everything else is fine*.



* As fine as one can be in this kind of weather - obviously one will will sweat no matter what, but I'm used to that.
 
I usually ride in temps of 90s and I have noticed that the heat from the CB is noticeably hotter than my previous bike (a Honda water cooled Shadow 750 cruiser). The increase in heat is noticed in slow traffic as well as when riding on the freeway going 50 mph but the heat is not unbearable. So I would imagine riding in temps of 108 would be uncomfortable.

The CB also takes much longer to cool off after my rides. I do not have a garage so I rely on a cover to protect the bike from the elements. With the CB, I usually need to wait about 4 hours after riding before I can put the cover on the bike whereas with my previous Shadow it would take about half the time to cool. I guess that is the nature of the beast with air cooled engines.
 
AzBob_imp said:
cbdtran_imp said:
in high heat, wear pant, light ventilated leather jacket and high boot will protect your skin and legs.
I always wear a leather jacket (white, perforated Alpinestars), perforated leather gloves (also Alpinestars), boots (Sidi), and full-face helmet (Shoei) and long pants, albeit just blue jeans.

Just the insides of my thighs, the part touching the tank, are getting cooked. Everything else is fine*.



* As fine as one can be in this kind of weather - obviously one will will sweat no matter what, but I'm used to that.
I always wear a leather jacket (white, perforated Alpinestars), perforated leather gloves (also Alpinestars), boots (Sidi), and full-face helmet (Shoei) and long pants, albeit just blue jeans.

Just the insides of my thighs, the part touching the tank, are getting cooked. Everything else is fine*



* As fine as one can be in this kind of weather - obviously one will will sweat no matter what, but I'm used to that.
I ride in heavy Kevlar-lined jeans, and feel no engine heat at all. They are plenty warm just having them on, but maybe insulate from external sources? I do remember one time, when I first got the CB, I rode in shorts (I know, I know...), and engine heat really cooked my shins, even while moving. So I learned another reason to always wear proper gear pretty fast.
 
Heat indexes have been in the 100+ range here recently and I do feel some heat from the engine at stops but not that uncomfortable. My ST1300 was so hot on summer days it would cook your legs, even in moderate summer temps.
 
We've had summers with a lot of days over 90 where you have to ride early am or late pm to be comfortable, but this hasn't been one of them so far. It's been relatively cold. I think we have peaked over 90 degrees just 7 times (none near 100 that I recall). Personally I prefer the over 90 days to the below 30 days and we probably had 60 or 70 of those last winter.

The only time I seen 100 degrees this year is the day we were stuck in traffic between San Jose and Sacramento on our California trip, and it hit 100 on my in dash thermometer.
 
I expected more heat from this air cooled 1100, but very rarely notice any extra heat coming from the engine....my water cooled Ninjas were hotter.
I think it's a cool bike:-)
 
I've noticed that heat on the inner thighs, too, and it hasn't even been hot here. I do sit very close to the tank and hug it with my knees. Just the way I ride. I think the bike is fine - I've chalked up the heat to my riding posture. When I try to loosen up my "one with the bike" position, things cool down considerably.
 
Have not done a long ride yet, but noticed for the first time, excess heat on my legs while on the Honda. I'll need to explore this a bit more, just not sure when as I have a Guzzi rally coming up so the focus has been on the Griso.
 
It was pretty hot here in the summer. When I was riding on hot days I did, from time to time, notice hear from the engine. It was not uncomfortable; nor did I end up with any sort of reddening. Seems odd to me, unless it's just so hot that the combination of sun warming the tank and heat from the engine is affecting your legs.
 
Rboe_imp said:
Have not done a long ride yet, but noticed for the first time, excess heat on my legs while on the Honda. I'll need to explore this a bit more, just not sure when as I have a Guzzi rally coming up so the focus has been on the Griso.
Guzzi is worse, you have 2 ovens right next to your legs
 
In town this is true, on the road, less so. In town in the summer, oh man, not so good at all.
 
I haven't had an issue, at least not to the point where I ended up with toasted thighs. Last week I rode down to Tucson and back (~250 miles) when it was around 109F. It wasn't the most comfortable ride, but the primary discomfort was my cooking noggin, rather than my legs.
 
I also ride with Kevlar lined jeans. Inner leg heat has gotten warm at standstill during the past 4-5 weeks of 95-100 F days here in the Boise area. Once moving it is not a issue.
 
Back
Top