Horsepower

I have owned 3 sub 10 sec road bikes (156-174RWHP) Due to the respect of the power have never under or over steered a corner. I can't say the same for cruisers with forward controls. I find them much more dangerous. I've had two close calls both on cruisers. They just can't get out of there own way.

Anything over 140HP requires a well tuned suspension. I look at the Daviel and V Max and wonder what in the world the Manufacturer was thinking. Two death traps IMO.

You can ride high HP motorcycles in the street, you just need to pick your spots. They will also get you out of trouble when needed. You don't grab a hand full of throttle on these bikes, smooth roll on and offs grab a line and push off the apex, there a joy to ride.

Because of the riding position they are also a great highwway cruiser @ 70-80MPH. There designed to cut the wind with less buffeting, back road can get pretty old fast.
 
My 1976 Cb750 is all the bike I ever needed and feels so much lighter than the 1100 but i bought it for the beauty and the brakes , mostly the brakes , linked ABS is what made me hit buy now! did i mention the brakes ? HP is irrelevant , been there and done that but had the most fun on small bikes that are so light and nimble and would probably be dead if i still had the Busa's so glad they are gone .

being mid 60's and on blood thinner i made the right decision and just tractor the big 4cyl around at low speeds anyway.
 
use2b_imp said:
Pete Erickson_imp said:
Some times having the most horsepower is not enough as this video shows.

Sport Bike vs Harley drag - Bing
This was a great Video and I got a kick out of it.
personally i knew how it would turn out and I could take that Harley from 80 - 0 any day of the week :thumbsup:
:rofl: I think even I could do that. :beerchug:
 
Torque is where it's at. Especially at low rpm's. It's why my XR650L is so much fun. Especially on the street.
 
Rebel73_imp said:
Alright, you guys talked me into it. I'm trading my CB in for a 'Busa asap.
FTFY :D
 
I had a ZX12R for a while. It made about 180hp. I always wanted to try out a top tier hyper bike. It was a nice bike, very docile and frankly comfy at lower speeds. It was kind of a big sporty tourer more than super sport. But sweet Jeebus, when you laid onto the throttle and kept it on after about 7,000 it was terrifying. If you had to balls to keep the throttle pegged for a couple of shifts, you would hit 150-160 in third gear so quick you almost didn't have time to look down to see your speed. Seriously, you could ride down an empty on-ramp and be at 160mph when you got to the highway. The howl of the wind would let you know you were going dang fast. It was a hoot to have all that power in a bike that was fairly well behaved at lower speeds.

BUT, the bike was heavy and I was never really able to dance with it in the curves (I have seen people do it, it just required more force than I like to use) and outside of the rush of all that power, it was kind boring. Living and riding in the city, and not wanting to expose the general public to dumba**ery, I almost never got to use the "fun" part of the bike. The occasional Sunday morning ride when the roads were empty, or a trip to the mountains, when there was a huge open straight were you could see for a couple miles were the only time it got to do it's thing. Weeks would pass, and I would realize I hadn't tapped into the power at all. I realized that while the bike did it's thing well, the thing it did not jive with how and where I ride. I sold it and do not really miss it.

I like the CB1100 a lot more. The accessible torque, comfort, softish suspenders, and great brakes work perfectly in town. The bike is fast enough to keep up with my friends on their sportier bikes, but more comfortable and I feel like the CB gets to do it's thing every time I get on it. And honestly it's not a slow bike. I am sure I am running sub 12 second 1/4 mile times on mine and that's plenty fast.
 
I've had some fast bikes, Honda 919, VTX 1800, CBR 1100XX and a Hayabusa with pistons, cams and a healthy shot of nitrous. It made 187 hp at the back tire, ran low 9's at the track and was as docile as a pussy cat on the street until you fed it throttle. All these bikes were. That said, I wish Honda would have seen fit to power up the CB a bit more. with 1140 cc's the torque is gonna be there. a very controllable and smooth 100-110 hp could have been built into the motor and would have added to the smile factor of what is quickly (HA! pun) becoming my favorite M/C. My .02
 
I have a highly modified streetfighter with Ohlins suspension pushing a whopping 10 hp. This bugger gets pretty hairy in a hurry, so not sure why people would want even more power...

 
the_undecider_imp said:
I have a highly modified streetfighter with Ohlins suspension pushing a whopping 10 hp. This bugger gets pretty hairy in a hurry, so not sure why people would want even more power...




:rofl:
 
It's not the amount of power, it is how it is delivered. I've had several bikes that make less power, but feel like they have more of a hit when reved out which can fool the mind.

This bike has plenty of power, but a set of cams to open the top end rpm breathing up and a tad more aggressive on the sprockets could make things a little more interesting. Out of the box the designers went a little more mellow than I would have chosen.
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
It's not the amount of power, it is how it is delivered. I've had several bikes that make less power, but feel like they have more of a hit when reved out which can fool the mind.

This bike has plenty of power, but a set of cams to open the top end rpm breathing up and a tad more aggressive on the sprockets could make things a little more interesting. Out of the box the designers went a little more mellow than I would have chosen.
Agreed. My first track bike was an RS125 with a quick shifter, and when the power came the first time it was borderline terrifying.
 
Really the young guy did not lean way forward over the tank to apply the HP . Glad I am old now and my challenges will be braking distance to those who want to race , but in the day I would have taken the Harley really , really bad.
1st gear shift was 70MPH
This Busa was assume and had all the tuning but glad it is gone !
 
Back
Top