Honest opinions please,part II

FLYTYM_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I started a thread about this not too long ago but since almost done I wanted some more opinions. Ive got my taillight mod ready for paint,put the fender and taillight on the bike to make sure everything fit. Now that’s it’s almost done I’m not too sure about how the thing works,it might need to be tweaked,one more time. Everything here is in primer,fenders will be body color,taillight and bracket will be satin black,front fender will be from a CB1100 F. Honest opinions here, does this thing look good or pass?
[url=https://postimg.cc/cvVY83bD][url=https://postimg.cc/cvVY83bD]
 
I'm not good at judging the customed outlooks of a motorbike, because I like a motorbike, if I like it, the way a manufactorer has build it. Never saw a customed one that can match or even come close to the ideas of engineers and their designers.

In Gemany we have a word for it "verschlimmbessert"....

Wisedrum
 
Think you hinted at it with the tail light, to me it should have a solid looking connection with the fender and then taper towards the top of the light, it does not have that balanced look at the moment.

Simply a matter of taste but i would prefer a chrome bead around the entire tank seem to break up the blackness and give the tank some shape and a chrome rear fender would make the bike's rear part look " lighter " and more balanced, it looks heavy and a bit tired at the moment but that is up to you and i do like how the wheels look on the bike.

Is that honest enough?
 
honest ?
for me : it no longer has the fine harmony like stock version

it looks like the free-waving/fluttering flag in the wind...and The holder is plastic or metal , a slight bump and it breaks off ?
 
Hey FLYTYM: I am neutral on the look. I think it has a more modern look, if that is what you intended. Based on the photo images though, it appears the tail lamp is slouching downward? Maybe it is an illusion.
 
it's a shame the tail light cant just come cleanly out from the one spot and the tag be dropped down by a stem instead of the light being raised up by a stem. it's a shame we have to have tags. LOL!
 
For the project, skills and thought, I give *****:thumbsup:
Since I like OEM equipment and first impression of it, I would not mount this tail lamp on my CB.
Be yourself, if you like it = keep it
:)
 
I’ve done lots of custom projects in my time that I can visualize in my head, but once the project takes more shape, the reality doesn’t match what I thought it would look like. Since you’re “down the rabbit hole” here, maybe buy a used taillight and Mount, and hold onto them for a while. If you want, you can modify the mount to make the light itself integrate into the fender more smoothly, or you have the option to go back to stock if you just don’t like it overall. I think someone here has a rear fender for sale.
 
I'm another guy who like stock stuff although I think you did a fantastic job on the tail light, mounted up it looks like a dangling appendage imo. I think you are unsure yourself or you wouldn't have asked for a second opinion. But in reality our opinions don't count for much, it's your bike and if it looks good to you, that's ALL that counts.

For me there are some well done customs & modifications (for example your wheels look fantastic to my eyes), some I would even ride myself, but the majority don't come anywhere near matching the cohesiveness of a stock motorcycle for me. Heck I even like the stock mirrors.
 


Since you are going for a custom look, and not stock, I suggest you stick to your vision. If for practical or other reasons your modified taillight doesn't work out, you might consider getting one of the Whitehouse K10 taillights from Samurider. They are sold separately (tho not cheap) and are an OEM quality all-metal piece that is, viz Wisedrum, a Honda design from the 70s that mounts solidly and directly to the CB 1100 rear fender. You could strip the chrome and powder coat it any degreee of satin black you choose.
 
Thread starter
m in sc_imp said:
honestly, too spindly at the base, looks like a bobble head. I see what you were going for, but no lines flow. I read the thread, it was well done quality wise, kudos on that. but the final result does not work aesthetically. me? i would have dropped it down further, back a smidge, and filled in the base a bit more from the mount you are using.

please excuse my 'ms paint' skills :rofl: but you get the point.
THANK YOU! That’s perfect! My intention was to allow enough of a gap to not blast the license plate with light but in the process kinda ruined it. I’ll make a shorter bracket and move a few things around. I looked into the Samurider taillight but it moves the taillight up towards the seat. The problem with the stock fender is it’s go provisions stamped in it that the stack taillight cover. I checked into having the fender smoothed out,too much money. Thanks everybody for the feedback,greatly appreciated. Back to the drawing board......................
THANK YOU! That’s perfect! My intention was to allow enough of a gap to not blast the license plate with light but in the process kinda ruined it. I’ll make a shorter bracket and move a few things around. I looked into the Samurider taillight but it moves the taillight up towards the seat. The problem with the stock fender is it’s got provisions stamped in it that the stock taillight cover. I checked into having the fender smoothed out,too much money. Thanks everybody for the feedback,greatly appreciated. Back to the drawing board......................
 
FLYTM, I'm with GoldOxide, somehow the bike looks smaller and the light has a despondent, downward-facing look to it.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
FLYTM, I'm with GoldOxide, somehow the bike looks smaller and the light has a despondent, downward-facing look to it.
It’s the angle of the driveway,first time I looked at the picture I thought the same thing. The housing follows same plane the original bracket.
 
For me modifying a bike is a way to personalize it to your taste and not another's idea of perfection. For me the bike needs to have Flow. Your first edition was for me to abrupt or harsh. The next one looks better by far. I still like the flow from the fender to the top of the taillight. The original one looks good but rather bulky. I wish it was smaller. I have modified mine too but not to your extreme. For me the Yoshimura Pipe was a must have. The chrome exhaust was too distracting. I have bought a few of the carbon fiber parts for it and will install ASAP when I get home. But over all I feel the bike was very well done right off the bat. I even like the touch of chrome on the fenders.

Now there are bikes out there that I feel the designers got just right the first time around.
The 1986 Honda VFR 750 I bought years ago is one of these bikes. I think it looks just right.

Another bike I think is just right is the 1963 Honda CB77 305 early version with the flat bars. I missed out on a very good condition dealer chromed version years ago. Still kicking my tush for that. It had the fenders, engine cover and side covers chromed. WOW! Just loved it.

There are others I will never own too...
BSA Gold Star
Norton Commando Fastback
Triumph Hurricane

So the moral of the story is make it your own. You will never please everyone. Maybe your mods will inspire others to do something they would never have done till they saw yours. That is the highest form of flattery.
 
Thread starter
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
Yours is the only opinion that matters. If it puts a grin on your face, then it works. If not, well....
While I like most am not out there to please anybody but myself,this thing just wasn’t working for me and did find a solution from the opinions here. I’m in the process of making a new bracket and it will work out this time.
 
Back
Top