Honda top case install

Jonnyteabag_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hi all,
So I wanted to take my Honda top case that usually resides on my Crossrunner and make it swapable onto Nelly.

The solution involved removing the black tubular rack that came with Nelly and finding a flat topped rack that I could modify into something that fitted the bill.

So after browsing the interweb to see what was out there I settled upon a Hepco and Becker mini rack which included a flat top plate with which I could fudge up an adaptor in order to fit the CR top case.

I figured that if the H&B plate was too small I could find a larger top plate for my needs but the supplied plate worked out ok.
So I bought a new Crossrunner case plate, drilled the required holes in the flat plate and fitted the new Honda case plate.. the result is that I can now swap the case between the two bikes and keep Head of Acccounts happy as she likes the back pad on the box so win win for me eh?

ea296537be7d87417538336af9f376cb.jpg

713beaaaa8f6829f85f626d6a52f0ccf.jpg

845240fd8e93ac67873bd99b0f87b469.jpg

653f5386ff869bf0768349f46a9368cb.jpg

119bb5d0542164c40779beddf6e054b5.jpg

f7585a1c7570dc51ffd6a69653b718b7.jpg

0e75d51225b32fb02a7b0c753530acf1.jpg


I think the box fits ok and its a bonus that its pretty much the same colour too!
 
That come out really nice!
 
Jonnyteabag_imp said:
Hi all,
So I wanted to take my Honda top case that usually resides on my Crossrunner and make it swapable onto Nelly.

The solution involved removing the black tubular rack that came with Nelly and finding a flat topped rack that I could modify into something that fitted the bill.

So after browsing the interweb to see what was out there I settled upon a Hepco and Becker mini rack which included a flat top plate with which I could fudge up an adaptor in order to fit the CR top case.

I figured that if the H&B plate was too small I could find a larger top plate for my needs but the supplied plate worked out ok.
So I bought a new Crossrunner case plate, drilled the required holes in the flat plate and fitted the new Honda case plate.. the result is that I can now swap the case between the two bikes and keep Head of Acccounts happy as she likes the back pad on the box so win win for me eh?

ea296537be7d87417538336af9f376cb.jpg

713beaaaa8f6829f85f626d6a52f0ccf.jpg

845240fd8e93ac67873bd99b0f87b469.jpg

653f5386ff869bf0768349f46a9368cb.jpg

119bb5d0542164c40779beddf6e054b5.jpg

f7585a1c7570dc51ffd6a69653b718b7.jpg

0e75d51225b32fb02a7b0c753530acf1.jpg


I think the box fits ok and its a bonus that its pretty much the same colour too!
That's the way to do it. :thumbsup:
 
Very nice! There's nothing more convenient than being able to swap your storage from bike-to-bike.
 
Jonnyteabag_imp said:
Hi all,
So I wanted to take my Honda top case that usually resides on my Crossrunner and make it swapable onto Nelly.

The solution involved removing the black tubular rack that came with Nelly and finding a flat topped rack that I could modify into something that fitted the bill.

So after browsing the interweb to see what was out there I settled upon a Hepco and Becker mini rack which included a flat top plate with which I could fudge up an adaptor in order to fit the CR top case.

I figured that if the H&B plate was too small I could find a larger top plate for my needs but the supplied plate worked out ok.
So I bought a new Crossrunner case plate, drilled the required holes in the flat plate and fitted the new Honda case plate.. the result is that I can now swap the case between the two bikes and keep Head of Acccounts happy as she likes the back pad on the box so win win for me eh?

ea296537be7d87417538336af9f376cb.jpg

713beaaaa8f6829f85f626d6a52f0ccf.jpg

845240fd8e93ac67873bd99b0f87b469.jpg

653f5386ff869bf0768349f46a9368cb.jpg

119bb5d0542164c40779beddf6e054b5.jpg

f7585a1c7570dc51ffd6a69653b718b7.jpg

0e75d51225b32fb02a7b0c753530acf1.jpg


I think the box fits ok and its a bonus that its pretty much the same colour too!
Hi Friend ,

Any chance you can take some pics of the inside and outside of the locking mechanism? I have the same box and it's been sitting in my closet for years because I haven't had time to install and don't have the instructions and trying to figure out how the locking mechanism goes in.
 
Thread starter
Sure no problem.
What do you want specifically? Are you wanting to match a key from another bike to your old case? I ask as you probably know you can buy the genuine honda lock kits to do this.
The instructions for doing this are freely available from the honda accessory portal http://cssportal.css-club.net/honda/MCA/MAIN010.aspx
This gives a good idea on how things fit together.
You'll need to follow the links for the VFR 800F which uses the 33ltr top case we are talking about here.
I will post up some pics as soon as I can get to the bike but let me know what you want.
Regards,
JT
 
If you are wanting to know how to set up the lock cylinder, we have instructions, in English, in the How-to section. They are the Honda instructions that were translated from Japanese.
 
Jonnyteabag_imp said:
Sure no problem.
What do you want specifically? Are you wanting to match a key from another bike to your old case? I ask as you probably know you can buy the genuine honda lock kits to do this.
The instructions for doing this are freely available from the honda accessory portal http://cssportal.css-club.net/honda/MCA/MAIN010.aspx
This gives a good idea on how things fit together.
You'll need to follow the links for the VFR 800F which uses the 33ltr top case we are talking about here.
I will post up some pics as soon as I can get to the bike but let me know what you want.
Regards,
JT
Johnny, this link only takes you to a page that says this session has expired and to login again on the login page, but no link to that.
 
On the session timeout page, at the topish right, see the selection Top Page. Click on that and you will go to the login page.
 
Jonnyteabag_imp said:
Sure no problem.
What do you want specifically? Are you wanting to match a key from another bike to your old case? I ask as you probably know you can buy the genuine honda lock kits to do this.
The instructions for doing this are freely available from the honda accessory portal http://cssportal.css-club.net/honda/MCA/MAIN010.aspx
This gives a good idea on how things fit together.
You'll need to follow the links for the VFR 800F which uses the 33ltr top case we are talking about here.
I will post up some pics as soon as I can get to the bike but let me know what you want.
Regards,
JT
Actually I mean the mechanism that actually clips the top case to the mounting plate. Mine is not attached to the top case and I'm trying to figure out what screws are used.
 
Thread starter
The Honda top case mount is mounted in two parts, the sturdy metal base plate is solidly bolted to a flat plate of your choice, I chose the hepco backer rack as it came with side arms and a small top plate, I figured that if the HB plate was too small to mount the Honda steel plate I could just substitute a larger plate of my own.
So when the steel Honda plate is bolted on, the top plastic plate is sandwiched onto the bottom using the spacers and rubber bushings that then allow the top plate to float sideways about 10mm left and right.
This then leaves a gap between the plastic top frame and the steel bottom, the lugs of the top case engage between the two and when locked down hold the case super firmly against some rubber grommets.
The design allows the case to "float" sideways a little...this is supposed to reduce turbulence of the wind pulling at the case and sending movement thru the rack to the frame...This seems to work as I don't notice any wobbles at motorway speeds like I used to get with the solidly mounted top cases on my other previous bikes.

I realise that the above sounds complicated but if you look at my pics from the rear end view you can see there's a gap between the two honda plates this is what is needed to engage the top case and lock it down.

Hope this helps but if you read thru the plate mounting instructions in the link I sent you can see how it all fits together..

JT
 
Back
Top