Honda Three Wheeler Patent Applied For

Me too. Interesting concept.
 
So...combine this patent with Honda's development of a supercharged version of the NC700 motor and you could have a 3-wheeler that I might consider riding...someday.
 
I rode one CB4ME and wish it leaned very badly. First turn I went into it felt like I was being thrown over the bars to the outside.
 
I don't have any hard info, but just from other forums, there is a lot of talk of a high number of Spyder crashes in turns. Maybe people with no motorcycle experience at all thinking they'll be OK, it's gotta be like driving a car?
 
There was just a warning issued for the owners of one of the three wheelers to park them due to safety issues, just last week.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I've heard that if you transition from a motorcycle to Spyder it can a problem. Car to Spyder, less of an issue.
 
Elipten_imp said:
There was just a warning issued for the owners of one of the three wheelers to park them due to safety issues, just last week.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That was for the Polaris Slingshot. Not many of them out there. They only went on sale like two weeks before the notice. Saw a few at the bike show. That front end is huge.
 
Thread starter
I've never ridden any of the three wheelers but I have read several test write ups on the three wheeled Piaggio scooter which is a leaning design and testers have been very impressed with the cornering traction, especially in wet conditions with twice the rubber footprint in front compared to a conventional motorcycle. The Honda, like the Piaggio, has a fairly narrow front track-an advantage in places where filtering is legal. I think a "bike" like this could easily embarrass some high dollar sport bikes by virtue of higher than normal cornering speeds. A leaning trike with this layout would seem to have all the advantages of a two wheeled bike plus additional traction at the front. Extra weight on the front might be the only disadvantage.
 
I've ridden the Piaggio MP3 500 with the parallelogram front end (leaning) and it was pretty much like riding a regular scooter with this caveat, at stops there was a lever you flipped to make the front rigid (I guess so you could sit there with your feet up?) which would keep it from falling over, and which would release as soon as you gave it gas. Couldn't tell any difference in handling going around a corner.
 
Back
Top