Honda Rack Install

deltamark

Running like a top
Thread starter
Hey all,

Would someone who has the Honda Rear Seat Rack be willing to post a photo of how it mounts on the right side of the bike? I had to have a custom bracket installed on that side for my sidecar and I'm trying to determine if the standard Honda rack will fit.

6d7de04f50705bebc846208cae2908d8.jpg
 
Thread starter
Rocky_imp said:
Not a great picture, but it might help.

dedc0850080477a3f67b3e46c7d6eca6.jpg
Thanks Rocky! From what I can see, it seems the rack would fit onto my custom bracket. Hopefully, I can find it locally in case I'd need to return it. Much appreciated.
 
The angle at the front of the rack might be a bit tight, deltamark?
 
I agree with Cormanus. I'd be a little concerned about clearance at that point.
My rack, which I bought from another forum member and which was sold to me as original Honda, looks a little different than Rocky’s.

ec7f28ec5809a60c264e18ec57f89604.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wait... is there a difference in the racks between the 2013 and 2014 std?
 
Rocky’s is a ‘14 model.
 
Is it the difference in year, or did Canada get the lower seat used in Japan and on the Australian models?
 
Hopefully the following helps:

EmptySea has the Honda Rack for 2013 to 2014 Standards.

Rocky has the 2014 Honda Rack designed for the DLX (It also fits Canadians/Standards but has higher mounting brackets and is angled upwards more at the rear when mounted to a Standard or non-DLX bike)

Rocky has a 2014 Canadian (essentially Standard geometry, but with polished and clear-coated alloy covers and fancy bits) with Standard Height Seat (not low profile Japanese).
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
The angle at the front of the rack might be a bit tight, deltamark?
Yes, I was a bit concerned about that angle, but the bigger issue I discovered is that the bolts securing the custom bracket are much larger than the smaller hex screws used to mount the rear rack. Looks like I'm going to have to figure out how to rig something or go in another direction.:-/
 
Thread starter
I really like the Givi rack and was about to spring for one, but a former forum member here in Canada had a new Honda rack for sale at such a good price that I went for that one instead.
I don't regret buying the Honda rack, but whenever is see the Givi rack I still like it and still think about it.
 
Thread starter
My main reason for wanting a rack is to strap a duffle bag with camping gear to it. I'd position the bag lengthwise, parallel with the seat and rack.

As another option, I wondered if I could skip the rack by adding some semi-soft saddlebags. That way, I might be able to strap a duffle across the width of the seat and saddlebags. Something similar to this (without the second smaller bag).
c9f90adbfad678e075100a0284b94c78.jpg

Has anyone tried that approach?
 
deltamark_imp said:
My main reason for wanting a rack is to strap a duffle bag with camping gear to it. I'd position the bag lengthwise, parallel with the seat and rack.

As another option, I wondered if I could skip the rack by adding some semi-soft saddlebags. That way, I might be able to strap a duffle across the width of the seat and saddlebags. Something similar to this (without the second smaller bag).
c9f90adbfad678e075100a0284b94c78.jpg

Has anyone tried that approach?
That smaller bag looks like it may carry a good sleeping bag.
The bigger one a tent and mat.
Side bags clothing and food.
Now I remember why I don't own camping equipment anymore.
:biker:
 
I toured on at least 2 long trips without the rear rack. I only bought the rack because my friend and forum member Ole was selling his and he gave me a great deal which included him installing it at his house and sending me home with the rack and a back full of morel mushrooms. I never ride with a passenger so strapping my bags across the rear seat worked fine.
 
Thread starter
EmptySea_imp said:
I toured on at least 2 long trips without the rear rack. I only bought the rack because my friend and forum member Ole was selling his and he gave me a great deal which included him installing it at his house and sending me home with the rack and a back full of morel mushrooms. I never ride with a passenger so strapping my bags across the rear seat worked fine.
That certainly does sound like a great deal, especially the morels! I hope to get a chance to take my CB / sidecar combo on a trip to do some morel hunting soon. Probably will try it without the rack.
 
Back
Top