Honda Collection Hall

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
On Saturday, we went to the Honda Collection Hall at their headquarters building in Torrance. I hadn't been there since I last attended a focus group around 11 years ago, looking at prototypes of what would become the current generation of Rebel motorcycles. They started hosting Cars and Coffee events four times a year, and open their Collection Hall museum. Normally the museum is open during business hours on weekdays, so not an easy place to visit.

Mrs. G and I drove in our CRV to show some Honda spirit, and we joined up with one of my fellow Petersen docents and his family. The first things that greeted us were giant Honda inflatables, which I found fun and fascinating. 
We made our way to the indoor Collection Hall to see what was on display before walking the rows of cars and bikes that came for the show, and it was weird to see a row of different generations of Accords lined up in the courtyard outside. I walked past them at first, because when would you stop to look at an Accord. That is until I realized that these were their museum cars, and were in pristine condition. 
[attachment=1627]
[attachment=1628]

The museum was pretty cool, and fulfilled a desire to see it. They have a timeline of Honda's history, with several models of Honda cars and motorcycles. Of course, the key bikes, like the CB750 are there. The MB5 was the cool bike to have when I was in high school, and I mused that the Interceptor was the reason my Enfield is called an "INT650" here in the U.S.

[attachment=1632]
[attachment=1633]
[attachment=1634]
[attachment=1635]
[attachment=1636]
[attachment=1637]
[attachment=1638]

If you're in the area on a weekday and have a chance to check it out, it's worth the trip. For reference if you're visiting, it's about 30-40 minutes from LAX depending on traffic.

[attachment=1639]
[attachment=1640]

As for the show, it was heavily Honda as you can imagine, with every model represented. There was one row of motorcycles and all brands were welcome, but most were Hondas. Two elderly gentlemen brought CBXs, and I was hovering when they mounted them and fired them up to leave. I commented to one of them that his bike looked awesome. He said "The nice one is inside", to which I replied that I thought the nicer ones were those outside, that these two were actually enjoying. 

Amazingy, there were no CB1100s. I will have to bring mine next time, to see if gets much attention. They host four of these cars and coffee events a year, so it won't be a long wait!

[attachment=1641]
[attachment=1642]
[attachment=1643]
[attachment=1644]
 

Attachments

  • O1.webp
    O1.webp
    67.9 KB · Views: 76
  • O2.webp
    O2.webp
    74.3 KB · Views: 76
  • IB1.webp
    IB1.webp
    58.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IB5.webp
    IB5.webp
    50.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IB4.webp
    IB4.webp
    51.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IB6.webp
    IB6.webp
    57.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IB7.webp
    IB7.webp
    55.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IB8.webp
    IB8.webp
    73.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IB9.webp
    IB9.webp
    76.6 KB · Views: 76
  • I1.webp
    I1.webp
    57.4 KB · Views: 76
  • I2.webp
    I2.webp
    53.6 KB · Views: 76
  • O3.webp
    O3.webp
    70.1 KB · Views: 76
  • O4.webp
    O4.webp
    70.7 KB · Views: 76
  • O5.webp
    O5.webp
    97 KB · Views: 76
  • O6.webp
    O6.webp
    97.7 KB · Views: 76
What a delight to wake up to all these beautiful machines!

1. I love your T-shirt; for me it would be "Introverted but willing to discuss South American history"
2. I love the deep gold and black Honda 500 Four--that is my dream color combo.
3. And here I thought my daughter's Element was aging with 137,000 miles on it...1,002,518 is now the goal.
4. The bike with the white banana seat...that might get even my wife to ride with me.

Looks like a fun day!
 
Thread starter
There was an armada of Elements, some with full camping rigs. The bike with the white banana seat is Bosozoku style. I think the world would be a cooler place with more of those riding around.
 
Xpdedse said:
What a delight to wake up to all these beautiful machines!

1. I love your T-shirt; for me it would be "Introverted but willing to discuss South American history"
2. I love the deep gold and black Honda 500 Four--that is my dream color combo.
3. And here I thought my daughter's Element was aging with 137,000 miles on it...1,002,518 is now the goal.
4. The bike with the white banana seat...that might get even my wife to ride with me.

Looks like a fun day!

I drove Honda cars since 1991 in over the road sales. and put over 200,000 miles on 2 different Civics, 2 Accords and one CRV.  When my wife retired in 2017, she gave her 200,000 mile Accord to our granddaughter to drive to college. It now has about 310,000 miles on it and is now taking her back and forth to work.

When I bought my last car, I bought a 24 Camry, because the Civics and Accords now all have CVT transmissions which I didn't want and I had to buy a 24 camry and not a 25 because the 25s are all hybrids with a CVT, neither of which I wanted.
 
I loved the CB500. I really, really wanted one when I was 18, but couldn't afford it.
 
What! No CB77 Superhawks, the Supersport during the early to mid 1960s!  ;)
Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.
 
Back
Top