Honda Chrome Engine Guards now availabe in U.S.

I just took off my Active engine guards:

c4f2bc9133b5f6b68781a3e4b0898e14.jpg


And installed SW Motech engine guards:

b3a879deafdfd38c08b4aa0eb60adb6a.jpg


Thanks Rboe - when I saw the SW Motechs on your bike I didn't hesitate to order a pair. I needed to tone down my bike a bit and they do the trick.

I'll be posting the Active engine guards for sale.
 
If and when I get me a set it will be the black, I like how it looks like it is part of the frame and blends in nicely, the chrome in my opinion takes away from the nice golden color that I have learned to love on my headers (not in the beginning), I kinda do worry about the engine mount part of it, but the other two mounts kind of cancels that out in my mind, if that make sense, I wonder if it would be worth it to somehow modify that part out, such as cut the motor mount off at the bracket and touch up the ends with a sharpie or something...:thumbsup:
 
Headbanger02_imp said:
If and when I get me a set it will be the black, I like how it looks like it is part of the frame and blends in nicely, the chrome in my opinion takes away from the nice golden color that I have learned to love on my headers (not in the beginning), I kinda do worry about the engine mount part of it, but the other two mounts kind of cancels that out in my mind, if that make sense, I wonder if it would be worth it to somehow modify that part out, such as cut the motor mount off at the bracket and touch up the ends with a sharpie or something...:thumbsup:
I would not worry about the one motor mount attachment point. If you had a set of SW Motech crash bars in your hands you would understand why. They are very solid. The forces needed to defeat the crash bars and bend or break the engine mounting point would have to be enormous. The frame itself would be bent and you'd probably be looking at a total loss crash.

Lets hope nobody goes there.

On the other hand, the bars should work great in the event of a tip over or a low side crash.

I am loving mine. I'll post a picture or two later today if I can get out.
 
CB4ME_imp said:
Headbanger02_imp said:
If and when I get me a set it will be the black, I like how it looks like it is part of the frame and blends in nicely, the chrome in my opinion takes away from the nice golden color that I have learned to love on my headers (not in the beginning), I kinda do worry about the engine mount part of it, but the other two mounts kind of cancels that out in my mind, if that make sense, I wonder if it would be worth it to somehow modify that part out, such as cut the motor mount off at the bracket and touch up the ends with a sharpie or something...:thumbsup:
I would not worry about the one motor mount attachment point. If you had a set of SW Motech crash bars in your hands you would understand why. They are very solid. The forces needed to defeat the crash bars and bend or break the engine mounting point would have to be enormous. The frame itself would be bent and you'd probably be looking at a total loss crash.

Lets hope nobody goes there.

On the other hand, the bars should work great in the event of a tip over or a low side crash.

I am loving mine. I'll post a picture or two later today if I can get out.
I would not worry about the one motor mount attachment point. If you had a set of SW Motech crash bars in your hands you would understand why. They are very solid. The forces needed to defeat the crash bars and bend or break the engine mounting point would have to be enormous. The frame itself would be bent and you'd probably be looking at a total loss crash.

Lets hope nobody goes there.

On the other hand, the bars should work great in the event of a tip over or a low side crash.

I am loving mine. I'll post a picture or two later today if I can get out.
I should add that I have the 2013, if I had the 14 with silver engine I would want, probably go with chrome guards....:thumbsup:
 
I took my first road trip with the Over crash bars today. They don't stick out far enough to make a comfortable footrest on the highway. I think I'll have to add some highway pegs.

ff62856dd132834e9991acb5a6f8f8ec.jpg


Any suggestions?
 
Check out the Twisted Trottle website , they have nice highway foot pegs, made in Germany not cheap but you can choose from different style pegs.
 
Do you reckon Honda put those big, empty mounting points (above with the two bolts/holes) on the frame specifically for crash bars? I've always wondered what they had in mind for them. If they were intended for crash bars, why didn't they add the lower mounting point as well?
 
What about having them powder coated?
 
To each their own, but I find on a black motor that already has a few chrome bits, the chrome guards don't look out of place any more than the cam end seals do. Helps balance out all that darkness on the 2014 standard.
 
Thanks for the info on stock engine guards. I just bought a set for my '13 on ebay for 182.99. Any suggestions for highway pegs?
Thanks!
KV



TINK_imp said:
Your local Honda dealer can now order the OEM Chrome Engine Guards, 08P70-MGC-N20, $199.95


I like these over the aftermarket because they do not use the engine case mounting bolt. If you were to have a heavy tip-over with an engine guard mounted to the engine case bolt you could crack the engine case, resulting in BIG $$$$ to fix. Engine guards are there to PROTECT the engine, not INCLUDE the engine in the crash.

TINK
 
Back
Top