highest miles on a bike

OldF7Guy_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Question for you old men. I know a lot of you have had a zillion bikes over the decades. But which ones had the highest mileage when you got rid of them? Tell us about them.
 
My CB 550 had around 35k on it when I used it for a down payment on a place to live. Rattling cam chain but still a good bike. I can't think of a motorcycle lasting more than 2 or 3 years in my possession, just always wanted to ride a different one. So little years left and so many more bikes I haven't ridden. My favorites were in no certain order Honda C110, GT 550, CB 360T, CB 650, CB 550, and now this CB1100. Had a dozen plus others besides so no high mileage stuff. My neighbor's GS1100g has well over 100k.
 
I bought my '61 Bonnie from a museum in Ulverston, Cumbria, UK in 1993. It had over a hundred thousand miles on the clock and I don't know if that was the first time round. Since then I have put a measly 5000 or so on it. But I divert from your question. I haven't got rid of it. Yet. Maybe when I kick the bucket I'll be buried with it, or leave it to charity. My kids aren't interested in bikes so they won't be needing it.

Cheers
 
My first brand new bike was an '80 KZ750 twin that I bought in '81. For several years it was my only form of transportation (until I added other bikes to the stable). It had 76K miles on it 10 years later when I donated it to a friend as a father/son project bike.

I put a lot more miles on a lot of different bikes, but the old twin piled up the most miles individually.

If I live long enough, my CB750 might top that.
 
My first new bike was an 1989 Honda NT650 Hawk. It was a leftover and I bought it new in 1992. It, and several others, didn't sell and Honda was clearing them at a discount price.
It was a wonderful bike and I rode it all over eastern Canada and eastern USA. It had just over 80,000 km's on it when I sold it to a friend and bought the CB900F in 2003 - also as a leftover.
I have too many bikes now and none of them will see high mileage.
 
Rocky_imp said:
My first new bike was an 1989 Honda NT650 Hawk. It was a leftover and I bought it new in 1992. It, and several others, didn't sell and Honda was clearing them at a discount price.
It was a wonderful bike and I rode it all over eastern Canada and eastern USA. It had just over 80,000 km's on it when I sold it to a friend and bought the CB900F in 2003 - also as a leftover.
I have too many bikes now and none of them will see high mileage.
Good onya Rocky. Love ya!

Cheers
 
My '07 DL1000 had just under 70k miles (113k kilometers) when I sold it. The buyer said he was taking it to Alaska. It turned up for sale on the local BMW dealer website about 6 month later. Don't know if it ever made it to Alaska.

Most of the miles were commuting to work, but it also did two Iron Butt rides and a trip to NC. The only mechanical issues it had aside from normal maintenance was replacing both TPS sensors.
 
Thats one heck of a frame on that NT650. Did it really require something like that or what was the deal?
 
I think that Hawk's frame put some people off.
Funny thing, I saw one yesterday in gray when I went on my ride to upstate NY. I can't recall seeing one on the road ever.
 
BMW R/75 was bought new in 1973. My sole form of transportation for a while I put 67,000 miles on that bike with the only failure being a front brake light switch that was replaced under warranty. Sold it in 1978 so I could get a Bailey wet suit and other dive equipment. Selling this bike was one of my greatest regrets. Only my CB1100 has given me as much delight.
 
Not yet an old guy, but I'm averaging 500mi/week on the CB1100, so I'm certain I will pound out serious mileage on this one. I had my TW200 for a year and did 1500 miles. Had my KLX250S for 4 months and did almost 2000 miles. I hate cars :P

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Thats one heck of a frame on that NT650. Did it really require something like that or what was the deal?
I think it was mainly a styling thing as the power and weight of the bike didn't require such a large frame.
The bike only lasted four years and didn't quite make it in the US/Canada market - although there were quite a few of them around.
After it was gone it had almost a cult following for many years.
It still lived on in Europe and is the Deauville (spelling?) with shaft drive. It was a favourite in London among dispatch riders.
It was brought to the US a couple of years ago, but I don't think it was too successful once again.
I loved the bike and should have kept it. It was my first bike in 34 years when I came back to motorcycles when I retired. Lots of fond memories thanks to that bike.
 
1986 - 900 Ninja, 1st engine had 65K miles on it with 1000's of redline shifts, before I started to hear a knocking....
2nd engine in same bike has less than 5K miles on it, my brother now has that bike.
 
Never had a bike long enough to pile up a lot on any one. But the most was 38,000 on a Road King. Great bike. Liked it - a lot. :)

And, ironically, I suppose, the least number I ever put on a bike was also a Harley. A Switchback. 2000 miles. Disliked it - a lot. :@
 
Back
Top