Hi all, decisions, decisions, apples and oranges

The ferret_imp said:
Silverbub, just out of curiosity are you the silverbub on the ST forum?
Yep...mr ferret... you sleuthed me...:hello:...
the_undecider_imp said:
silverbub_imp said:
You might want to read the comments on the FJ09 in the Motorcyclist magazine... they are doing a long term evaluation (a year or so) on it... initial review they reported the suspension was quite weak apparently to a $price point while they generally praised the motor... their subsequent "required" upgrade of front/back suspension really puts the cost of "making the FJ09 'right'" gets somewhat close to the FJR pricing...a "rocking-horse"/pogo suspension on a new bike would be a deal breaker for me... but the $ are in YOUR wallet!... I have not seen much complaint here about the CB1100 suspension...
Sounds like the comments on the FZ, not the FJ. FJ seems to have addressed those weaknesses.
Sounds like the comments on the FZ, not the FJ. FJ seems to have addressed those weaknesses. Perhaps so... not having the mag at my immediate disposal... but their online article indeed states the FJ is an improvement over FZ suspension, as you indicated,... however, here is a quote from that online article: "The shock and fork springs are still quite soft so there’s still a lot of suspension movement, but overall that movement is far more controlled than the FZ-09’s. "...& I seem to recall their ongoing updates on the long term review of the FJ has them upgrading the FJ09 suspension with rather significant $, which, again, as they mention places the bike upgrades fairly close to the FJR1300 MSRP...however, at this point,... the OP seems to have decided on the fine, choice 2014 CB1100 DLX...so, further FJ, FZ 09's distinctions is "past-tense" to the OP's discussions... and if I were him...I would also get his CB1100 DLX ready for this spring 2015's gathering of the CB11 owners Rally!
 
The '13 model? Now you're talking: It's lighter, better looking, and cheaper to boot — you can't go wrong. :biker:

In all seriousness, when it comes to the CB1100 you really can't go wrong with any model. Since you seem to be wavering on this, I'd encourage you to take your time deciding on what your next purchase will be and get what you want. Did you end up getting the Triumph?
 
canyonwlf7_imp said:
I couldn't do it, pull the trigger on the 14 deluxe, going tomorrow to look at a new 13 that is 3k less!
Wise decision, I think. Didn't want to blow a hole in you bubble earlier, but now that you have arrived at the same conclusion, it is tough to justify that much more money for the 14 model. Yes, there are some changes from the 13, but just not enough to make me part with that much extra cash. When I went to buy mine, both the 13 & 14 were available on the dealer floor. Compared them side by side, and even if they were the same price, I would have gone with the 13. I just prefer it's look. Slightly leaner, sportier, etc. This forum has opened my mind to "other" tastes for this bike. For the guys that are into a lot of highway time, windshields, hand guards, saddle bags, top boxes, etc. I can see the attraction of the Deluxe. For me, from the time Japan displayed the first show version, with it's sporty, somewhat cafe, look and that red and silver paint, I fell in love. It was that one, or not at all, for me!
 
DG,

I feel the same way. Bought my '13 10 minutes after looking at it in the metal.

And then it sat at the dealer for a couple weeks. Unlike Guth and a few others, I waited for it to quit raining before I rode it home. Sorry Guth, it never stops raining out there, right?
 
DGShannon_imp said:
canyonwlf7_imp said:
I couldn't do it, pull the trigger on the 14 deluxe, going tomorrow to look at a new 13 that is 3k less!
Wise decision, I think. Didn't want to blow a hole in you bubble earlier, but now that you have arrived at the same conclusion, it is tough to justify that much more money for the 14 model. Yes, there are some changes from the 13, but just not enough to make me part with that much extra cash. When I went to buy mine, both the 13 & 14 were available on the dealer floor. Compared them side by side, and even if they were the same price, I would have gone with the 13. I just prefer it's look. Slightly leaner, sportier, etc. This forum has opened my mind to "other" tastes for this bike. For the guys that are into a lot of highway time, windshields, hand guards, saddle bags, top boxes, etc. I can see the attraction of the Deluxe. For me, from the time Japan displayed the first show version, with it's sporty, somewhat cafe, look and that red and silver paint, I fell in love. It was that one, or not at all, for me!
If I were to head out today to buy a CB1100, I'd still choose the original model in red w/black engine and wheels. It appeals to me the most. But if that option was no longer available, I'd still choose one of the newer CB1100 options over anything else out there.

Lord Popgun_imp said:
DG,

I feel the same way. Bought my '13 10 minutes after looking at it in the metal.

And then it sat at the dealer for a couple weeks. Unlike Guth and a few others, I waited for it to quit raining before I rode it home. Sorry Guth, it never stops raining out there, right?
I keep waiting for someone to come out with a big umbrella designed to mount to the bike. :cool: The CB and I definitely got soaked that day I picked it up. That was a bummer since I had never bought a brand new bike before. But leaving it behind at that point to wait for a nicer day probably would have been even worse. Especially in my case knowing that the CB was going to face plenty of wet days ahead.
 
Thread starter
Very Happy, Bought it without riding it, Its 28 degrees here, and I am sure I will dig it.
Pic of Triumph with the Arrow exhaust installed ;)
 
:beerchug:

Lumpy twin and an inline four, not unlike my stable. Go ride the Triumph and then when you hop on the CB, it'll feel like a rocket.

Congrats!
 
You can't be that, a scrambler, a roadster and a cruiser. Well played.
 
canyonwlf7_imp said:
Thanks guys, great Forum, I'm excited, is the first thing to do a Staintune slip-on?
Might I suggest a set or Rubber Lever End Thingies or "RLET"

Rubber Lever End Thingies

Honda part #: 95010-16001, qty 1 per package.

While I highly recommend the Staintune, RLETs cost literally 1% what a Staintune does and they are the basis all sorts of crazy, unfounded claims (increased power, fuel economy, handling, crash protection, tiger repellant, and opposite sex attractant ).

Oh, and while your wallet is opened up, may as well head over to Samurider.com | Worldwide Shipping Japanese Motorcycle Parts and check out all the stuff they sell for the CB. The owner Takashi, aka Mr. T, is a super cool dude and very responsive. How it works is you find what you want, request a quote through the website, and he will reply with a total cost with shipping. Then, you reply to confirm and he'll send you a paypal invoice. Once everything ships, you can expect delivery in 4-5 days.
 
RLET's were on both of my CB 1100's before I ever brought them home from the dealer. Didn't want the public seeing my bike's totally naked. :blush:
 
Guth_imp said:
That is a fine looking pair of new bikes. Congratulations!
+1

And +1 on the RLETs.
 
need to inject some sanity on the RLETs. I find the one thing they do exceptionally well is grab my clothes while I'm navigating the garage. It annoyed me at first, but now I realize it's just the bike telling me to take a ride..
 
Back
Top