Hi all, decisions, decisions, apples and oranges

canyonwlf7_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Tomorrow I am buying a Triumph Scrambler and possibly 1 other bike!
I know they are apples and oranges but it's between the CB and the Yamaha FJ-09.
I already own a 2014 Harley Low Rider, so I have the cruiser bike handled,
The Scrambler is Retro in looks and in reality so is the Harley, so I guess I'm old school, I'm 54
so I prefer bikes that look like bikes, that being said the new Yamaha triple makes 107 hp at the rear wheel and only weighs 462. Anyway I love the ergo's of both, up right and comfortable, my only other desire is a good handler, do yall think the handling of the CB is very good? I'm sure the FJ-09 is stellar, but quite honestly prefer the looks of the CB, believe it or not the dyna and the Scrambler handle very well, and I am doing some performance upgrades to get about 75 rwhp out of the Triumph and after I change exhaust will weigh about 485. That's enough power for me, I think the CB will be even more powerful so I'm not concerned about that, I know I'm all over the place and am lucky to be getting 2 new bikes to add to the stable, and I need to go with the heart on decisions like this, but would appreciate feedback, also some might choose the CB and the Yamaha over the Scrambler!
 
Most of us old school guys have issues getting past the transformer look of the FJ, even if the specs suggest it is an excellent bike..low in weight, high in horsepower and a lot of electronic gizmos. I did go up and test sit one the other day and you didn't say how tall you are but it's a tall drink of water. I couldn't ride it as is even if it ticked all my boxes. The FJ was close, but by the time you get the luggage for it you are getting close to FJR pricing.

Someday, I'm going to have to replace my ST 1300 and I'd prefer a lighter weight sport tourer about 100 hp shaft drive. The FJ would have been close. I just have to be patient.
 
I have two Bonnie's and a CB...don't ask....and a Tiger 800. The Tiger may be transformer- esque, but it is easily the most versatile and all- around usable bike in my stable. It enables me to enjoy the retro/ standards for what they are best at. iMHO the Scrambler/ CB combo would not be as versatile as the Scrambler/ FJ pairing, especially in that you have a Harley. The CB is, indeed, a beautiful and delightful bike. But the FJ will provide a better alternative.
 
Capo said what I would have said. The Bonnie and the CB are too similar.

In the end, you should get what "moves you" not what we say you should get.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
Capo said what I would have said. The Bonnie and the CB are too similar.

In the end, you should get what "moves you" not what we say you should get.
Yes, they are similar, but still very different.
That's why I have both.
 
I love Bonnies, I've had three including a T100 but I must say that the CB is in a different league. This bike is a keeper but there again I have said this before.
For practicality and fun I think the FJ will be a winner and I may yet end up with one after a demo ride.
 
Very difficult to say the Bonnie and CB are too similar. One is a twin, the other an inline four. Apples and oranges.

When I picked up the CB I thought the Griso (v twin) was too close to the CB and would be surplus; not even close. The Bonnie, the CB and the Guzzi have different personalities.

But they are all very good bikes so close your eyes and pick one. After living with them for a bit you may find that one or two just don't fit your personality or riding style, which is fine as there are lot of good bikes out there; just go for it. I'd even have you test ride a Griso (make it long one, they are sneaky that way, typically slow to warm up to you but once you click they are in your blood).

I'm not a fan of Yamaha's and especially the Transformer look favored by many bike stylists so I have my bias's; but it's your money and your garage. :D
 
The FJ and CB are COMPLETELY different machines. The FJ has the more modern electronics with different riding modes. It has longer travel suspension and a wind screen, which a touring guru said is a must for anything but perfect weather on trips. Having ridden the Scrambler and the CB, they were a lot alike. Basic standard machines. Comfortable. Laid back. Classic. The FJ is more modern and less laid back. That triple screams. If I owed a Harley Low Rider, I would get the FJ and the CB and not the Scrambler. The Harley, Honda and Triumph are too much alike when compared to the FJ. I have many riding friends who have owned every kind of bike and now ride Adventure style bikes and they ride the wheels off them. - Honda CBs in general have always worked for me because I like the standard riding position and the four motor which is a better motor than the Triumph twin to me.
 
Thread starter
I'm leaning towards the CB over the Scrambler, With the Harley and the CB I will have the best of both worlds, the FJ is just for the Hooligan inside me, might not need it at all................
 
Why buy two bikes on the same day? What's the rush? I wouldn't buy two bikes on the same day. I would concentrate on one, on what I felt I needed now, and wait to see what I felt I needed after a couple thousand more miles on the Harley, and a couple thousand miles on whatever new bike you buy today.
I am completely satisfied with my CB, so much so I'm considering selling my other Honda, but maybe I haven't drank as much of the CB Kool Aid as some of you have. I previously owned a modern Triumph Scambler and I just don't see enough of a difference between it and the CB. Yes, you can "get on it " a little better with the CB, but for me, they're still too similar, they do the same job. Maybe if I could have a half dozen bikes I'd own both of them.
 
I agree that the Scrambler is too similar to the CB. I'd go with the Scram and FJ.

Because I already have the CB, I found a V-strom to be my best choice as a compliment to the CB. For what it lacks in excitement, it's dirt road going ability and touring capacity makes up for the CB'S lack thereof. Also, I feel pretty hooligany on the CB with my louder exhaust and lower handlebars. I believe I can represent the perfect combination of motorcycles mathematically. X represents the ideal motorcycle mix:

x = ( retro × hooligan) + ( touring × dirt )

Stephen Hawking ain't got nothing on me!
 
Canyon,

The Triumph Speed Triple started the "looks like it's already been crashed" styling trend and it's caught on. I can't seem to warm up to it. A bike has to light my jets while I'm walking up to it. If it doesn't work for my eyes, it won't work period. The CB1100 is as classically muscular as a a 1965 GTO. I enjoy looking at it every morning even when I'm leaving the garage in a car. That's my take on it.

Chip
 
You might want to read the comments on the FJ09 in the Motorcyclist magazine... they are doing a long term evaluation (a year or so) on it... initial review they reported the suspension was quite weak apparently to a $price point while they generally praised the motor... their subsequent "required" upgrade of front/back suspension really puts the cost of "making the FJ09 'right'" gets somewhat close to the FJR pricing...a "rocking-horse"/pogo suspension on a new bike would be a deal breaker for me... but the $ are in YOUR wallet!... I have not seen much complaint here about the CB1100 suspension...
 
silverbub_imp said:
You might want to read the comments on the FJ09 in the Motorcyclist magazine... they are doing a long term evaluation (a year or so) on it... initial review they reported the suspension was quite weak apparently to a $price point while they generally praised the motor... their subsequent "required" upgrade of front/back suspension really puts the cost of "making the FJ09 'right'" gets somewhat close to the FJR pricing...a "rocking-horse"/pogo suspension on a new bike would be a deal breaker for me... but the $ are in YOUR wallet!... I have not seen much complaint here about the CB1100 suspension...
Sounds like the comments on the FZ, not the FJ. FJ seems to have addressed those weaknesses.
 
Silverbub, just out of curiosity are you the silverbub on the ST forum?
 
Thread starter
I have decided to get a CB 1100 and the Scrambler, now here are my choices's
2013 in red for 9800 with all tax's and fees included or 2014 deluxe in red for 1900 more,
I'm leaning towards the 2014
 
canyonwlf7_imp said:
I have decided to get a CB 1100 and the Scrambler, now here are my choices's
2013 in red for 9800 with all tax's and fees included or 2014 deluxe in red for 1900 more,
I'm leaning towards the 2014
I love the 6 speed....and so will you!
 
6 speed made almost no difference to me in my test ride. Nice that it's there, but I wouldn't pay $1900 for it. Unless the 2014 is ABS, I'd get the 2013 and use the savings for accessories or to pay for a nice motorcycle vacation.

OR...get the one that is more appealing to your eye.
 
Back
Top