Hesitation? Not running smoothly?

Mine has had the stumble/surge for a while, PCV and ECU helped but did not fix 100%, I would like to try this...but would be funny if it reset my ECU to stock default again :-)
 
It doesn't reset the ECU, but calibrated the TPS. Basically it's telling the ECU what the full open and full closed values are so it can meter the fuel properly. It doesn't change the fuel map or spark curve, just tell it when to start and stop and the gradation in between.
 
After further review of our wiring schematic, we have a non contact sensor or Hall or inductive. The TPS talks directly to the ECU there is no manual adjustment on the throttle bodies. My GSXR 750 had a manual TPS which could be adjusted. I'm not sure how or if this gets reset but it would make perfect sense that full throttle on and off could synchronize the setup.
 
I tried this last night even though my bike ran smoothly, and I didnt notice any difference yesterday but today its so much more responsive. In my opinion all our bikes could benefit from doing this.
 
This also calibrates the hand position sensor(brain). I can't even turn the grip to full throttle with my normal grip. I have to grip at zero throttle with my wrist curved and hand more over the top so that I can go from z to 100% with my hand/wrist turn. I do this a bunch of times then go for a ride. The bike is now a rocket. What happened? My grip at zero has changed so that what seems like my usual hand inputs result in more actual throttle .
 
Deanohh_imp said:
This also calibrates the hand position sensor(brain). I can't even turn the grip to full throttle with my normal grip. I have to grip at zero throttle with my wrist curved and hand more over the top so that I can go from z to 100% with my hand/wrist turn. I do this a bunch of times then go for a ride. The bike is now a rocket. What happened? My grip at zero has changed so that what seems like my usual hand inputs result in more actual throttle .
:huh:
 
Deanohh_imp said:
This also calibrates the hand position sensor(brain). I can't even turn the grip to full throttle with my normal grip. I have to grip at zero throttle with my wrist curved and hand more over the top so that I can go from z to 100% with my hand/wrist turn. I do this a bunch of times then go for a ride. The bike is now a rocket. What happened? My grip at zero has changed so that what seems like my usual hand inputs result in more actual throttle .
I'm not sure I understand what you are doing either. Are you saying that you have trained the TPS to think that partial throttle is now full throttle? If so, could you go through the exact process once more?...

I'm not sure how it would know where your hand is, only what constitutes fully open or fully closed throttle.

Thanks,
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
Deanohh_imp said:
This also calibrates the hand position sensor(brain). I can't even turn the grip to full throttle with my normal grip. I have to grip at zero throttle with my wrist curved and hand more over the top so that I can go from z to 100% with my hand/wrist turn. I do this a bunch of times then go for a ride. The bike is now a rocket. What happened? My grip at zero has changed so that what seems like my usual hand inputs result in more actual throttle .
I'm not sure I understand what you are doing either. Are you saying that you have trained the TPS to think that partial throttle is now full throttle? If so, could you go through the exact process once more?...

I'm not sure how it would know where your hand is, only what constitutes fully open or fully closed throttle.

Thanks,
I'm not sure I understand what you are doing either. Are you saying that you have trained the TPS to think that partial throttle is now full throttle? If so, could you go through the exact process once more?...

I'm not sure how it would know where your hand is, only what constitutes fully open or fully closed throttle.

Thanks, My brain (or yours), not the bikes brain.
 
Deanohh_imp said:
Gumby 1100_imp said:
Deanohh_imp said:
This also calibrates the hand position sensor(brain). I can't even turn the grip to full throttle with my normal grip. I have to grip at zero throttle with my wrist curved and hand more over the top so that I can go from z to 100% with my hand/wrist turn. I do this a bunch of times then go for a ride. The bike is now a rocket. What happened? My grip at zero has changed so that what seems like my usual hand inputs result in more actual throttle .
I'm not sure I understand what you are doing either. Are you saying that you have trained the TPS to think that partial throttle is now full throttle? If so, could you go through the exact process once more?...

I'm not sure how it would know where your hand is, only what constitutes fully open or fully closed throttle.

Thanks,
I'm not sure I understand what you are doing either. Are you saying that you have trained the TPS to think that partial throttle is now full throttle? If so, could you go through the exact process once more?...

I'm not sure how it would know where your hand is, only what constitutes fully open or fully closed throttle.

Thanks, My brain (or yours), not the bikes brain.
Now I get it...muscle memory, like "Wax on, wax off", or, in this case, "Throttle on, throttle off" ;)
 
Deanohh_imp said:
Gumby 1100_imp said:
Deanohh_imp said:
This also calibrates the hand position sensor(brain). I can't even turn the grip to full throttle with my normal grip. I have to grip at zero throttle with my wrist curved and hand more over the top so that I can go from z to 100% with my hand/wrist turn. I do this a bunch of times then go for a ride. The bike is now a rocket. What happened? My grip at zero has changed so that what seems like my usual hand inputs result in more actual throttle .
I'm not sure I understand what you are doing either. Are you saying that you have trained the TPS to think that partial throttle is now full throttle? If so, could you go through the exact process once more?...

I'm not sure how it would know where your hand is, only what constitutes fully open or fully closed throttle.

Thanks,
I'm not sure I understand what you are doing either. Are you saying that you have trained the TPS to think that partial throttle is now full throttle? If so, could you go through the exact process once more?...

I'm not sure how it would know where your hand is, only what constitutes fully open or fully closed throttle.

Thanks, My brain (or yours), not the bikes brain.
I'm not sure I understand what you are doing either. Are you saying that you have trained the TPS to think that partial throttle is now full throttle? If so, could you go through the exact process once more?...

I'm not sure how it would know where your hand is, only what constitutes fully open or fully closed throttle.

Thanks,

My brain (or yours), not the bikes brain.
Its a method Deanohh uses, he's been around for a while:rofl:
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
Don't forget, his state legalized marijuana....just sayin'....
Hey! Other people spend a lot of $$ on drugs just so they can get to where I already am all the time. Age has its advantages.
 
Given what Randy B says here:
Randy B_imp said:
It doesn't reset the ECU, but calibrated the TPS. Basically it's telling the ECU what the full open and full closed values are so it can meter the fuel properly. It doesn't change the fuel map or spark curve, just tell it when to start and stop and the gradation in between.
Deanohh's observation here makes some kind of sense to me.

Deanohh_imp said:
This also calibrates the hand position sensor(brain). I can't even turn the grip to full throttle with my normal grip. I have to grip at zero throttle with my wrist curved and hand more over the top so that I can go from z to 100% with my hand/wrist turn. I do this a bunch of times then go for a ride. The bike is now a rocket. What happened? My grip at zero has changed so that what seems like my usual hand inputs result in more actual throttle .
And, just to throw in my $0.02 worth, I tried this (it couldn't hurt could it?) and I think I noticed two things when I went for a decent ride yesterday.

First, the bike seems smoother at low revs. So, riding through a 60 km speed limit at 2000 rpm, the bike felt better than I think it has in the past.

Secondly, as I left the town I overtook a truck and I was sure the bike accelerated a whole lot more quickly than it has for a while.

These, of course, are entirely subjective views, but it seemed to me to make a difference.
 
I'm just waiting for someone to find absolute, factual, truth that this has no effect on our bikes. Then won't we all feel like a bunch of doofus?
 
DGShannon_imp said:
I'm just waiting for someone to find absolute, factual, truth that this has no effect on our bikes. Then won't we all feel like a bunch of doofus?
Isn't the plural of "Dufus" really "Dufi"? ;)
If I am one I want to be grammatically correct.
 
DGShannon_imp said:
I'm just waiting for someone to find absolute, factual, truth that this has no effect on our bikes. Then won't we all feel like a bunch of doofus?
All you will do is add a shot of fuel to the chamber. We use to pump the gas twice on older cars in the winter to set the choke, no damage was ever done ( maybe flooding once in a while:)) in fact it was required.

I personally use the method D mentioned set your wrist a 2 o'clock and grab a hand full of throttle and go through the gears once in a while than you don't have to worry about doing this at all, this bike loves to be red lined often. If you tend to ride staying at 1/2 throttle under 7000 rpm's all the time by all means this could help.
 
Gumby 1100_imp said:
DGShannon_imp said:
I'm just waiting for someone to find absolute, factual, truth that this has no effect on our bikes. Then won't we all feel like a bunch of doofus?
Isn't the plural of "Dufus" really "Dufi"? ;)
If I am one I want to be grammatically correct.
Isn't the plural of "Dufus" really "Dufi"? ;)
If I am one I want to be grammatically correct.
I'd have thought it was "doofuses".
 
Thanks for the tip - this worked wonders. Like a totally different bike. Was beginning to wonder what I had fudged up.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Gumby 1100_imp said:
DGShannon_imp said:
I'm just waiting for someone to find absolute, factual, truth that this has no effect on our bikes. Then won't we all feel like a bunch of doofus?
Isn't the plural of "Dufus" really "Dufi"? ;)
If I am one I want to be grammatically correct.
Isn't the plural of "Dufus" really "Dufi"? ;)
If I am one I want to be grammatically correct.
I'd have thought it was "doofuses".
Isn't the plural of "Dufus" really "Dufi"? ;)
If I am one I want to be grammatically correct.
I'd have thought it was "doofuses". Apparently, y'all have more experience with this word than I do... :P
 
Back
Top