Herky - Jerky Throttle Response

Thread starter
Sheesh!! :rolleyes:

herky–jerky /ˈhɚkiˈʤɚki/  adjective
Learner's definition of HERKY–JERKY

: not smooth or graceful
:marked by sudden movements or changes

:D:D
 
I own a 2009 ST1300 that suffered from severe jerky throttle fuel cut syndrome. No Power Commander available, so I went with a G2 Throttle Tamer Motorcycle Throttles & Handguards | G2 Ergonomics
The Throttle Tamer cured 90% of the issue with the ST1300, and it's only $80. Ya,ya, I did the throttle cable adjust and even synced the throttle bodies first, but no improvement. Some ST1300 owners say they can learn to manage the ST1300 throttle, but I'm just too ham-fisted I guess. While they don't specifically list the CB1100 on there web site, I would imagine any Honda Throttle Tamer would fit the CB1100 as Honda tends to have one design for something as generic as a throttle tube.

TINK
 
wayne van horn_imp said:
I think it came from watching a dance where the person was acting like a turkey. they called it the herky jerky turkey dance.

You know the rules around here, post videos or it didn't happen! :D
 
Tortuga_imp said:
lackskill_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
lackskill_imp said:
Mine was due to chain slack being almost double spec on delivery... Once I adjusted it properly, it's as smooth as any modern injected bike I've been on.
Where does Herky-jerky come from?
Where does Herky-jerky come from?
chain slap. The slack in the chain will literally transition from top to bottom or vice versa depending on which throttle transition.

Think of it like pulling on a rope. If the rope has slack in it, you'll experience very little resistance followed by a sudden jerk. If the rope has no slack the resistance is linear and immediate.

The acceleration jerk is the transmission drive gear pulling on the chain and taking up the slack. The deceleration jerk is because of the final drive gear pulling on the chain and taking up the slack.
Where does Herky-jerky come from?
chain slap. The slack in the chain will literally transition from top to bottom or vice versa depending on which throttle transition.

Think of it like pulling on a rope. If the rope has slack in it, you'll experience very little resistance followed by a sudden jerk. If the rope has no slack the resistance is linear and immediate.

The acceleration jerk is the transmission drive gear pulling on the chain and taking up the slack. The deceleration jerk is because of the final drive gear pulling on the chain and taking up the slack.

Ok, thanks I feel bad now, I wasted your time explaining the symptoms to me.

What I was asking is where the EXPRESSION 'Herky jerky' came from.
Where does Herky-jerky come from?
chain slap. The slack in the chain will literally transition from top to bottom or vice versa depending on which throttle transition.

Think of it like pulling on a rope. If the rope has slack in it, you'll experience very little resistance followed by a sudden jerk. If the rope has no slack the resistance is linear and immediate.

The acceleration jerk is the transmission drive gear pulling on the chain and taking up the slack. The deceleration jerk is because of the final drive gear pulling on the chain and taking up the slack.

Ok, thanks I feel bad now, I wasted your time explaining the symptoms to me.

What I was asking is where the EXPRESSION 'Herky jerky' came from.
lol, no worries. I feel like a dummy for explaining it.
HikerToo_imp said:
You can tell the difference between drive train play, and RPM drops and surges...you can't fix what the PCV does by tightening a chain or throttle play, its different.
I haven't felt any throttle surge on this bike. Chain slap, yes. Twitchy tip-in, a little. Otherwise it's been very smooth for me.

I'm guessing there are at least 3 different types of throttle inconsistency symptom being discussed in here, maybe I misinterpreted the original question.
 
Update:

I'm going to try a G2 Street Tamer on my CB1100. I contacted G2 to ask which one to by for my CB1100, here's what they said:

From: Gary J Gibbs <gary@g2ergo.com>
To: "'Brian \"TINK\" Tinkler'" <tinkler@xxxxxx.com>
Subject: RE: Honda 2014 CB1100 G2 Street Tamer?
Date: Oct 13, 2014 7:16 AM

Yes, it just isn't listed. Sorry about that!
Here is the link and model to order (same as ST1300):
G2 Street Tamer Throttle Tube for Aprilia

Thanks!!
Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian TINK Tinkler [mailto:tinkler@xxxxxxx.com]
Sent: Saturday, October 11, 2014 7:58 PM
To: street.tech@g2ergo.com
Subject: Honda 2014 CB1100 G2 Street Tamer?

Can you tell me if there is G2 Street Tamer for the 2014 Honda CB1100. please, thanks.

Brian "TINK" Tinkler

TINK_imp said:
I own a 2009 ST1300 that suffered from severe jerky throttle fuel cut syndrome. No Power Commander available, so I went with a G2 Throttle Tamer Motorcycle Throttles & Handguards | G2 Ergonomics
The Throttle Tamer cured 90% of the issue with the ST1300, and it's only $80. Ya,ya, I did the throttle cable adjust and even synced the throttle bodies first, but no improvement. Some ST1300 owners say they can learn to manage the ST1300 throttle, but I'm just too ham-fisted I guess. While they don't specifically list the CB1100 on there web site, I would imagine any Honda Throttle Tamer would fit the CB1100 as Honda tends to have one design for something as generic as a throttle tube.

TINK
 
So, you inspired me with the Tamer. I purchased it yesterday and now I´m waiting for it to arrive. I gues that the bike will be even more sweeter than it is now! Like a candy :-)
 
I put heated grips on this summer and, because of the grips actually being a bit different size, the throttle was fairly tight. It made a HUGE difference in the driveability. Keeping the chain on the tighter side also helps. I really don't understand why so many jump to a programmer before fixing the mechanical issues first.
 
Dakota_imp said:
I put heated grips on this summer and, because of the grips actually being a bit different size, the throttle was fairly tight. It made a HUGE difference in the driveability. Keeping the chain on the tighter side also helps. I really don't understand why so many jump to a programmer before fixing the mechanical issues first.
Because of the internet's corporate personality. Last motorcycle forum I was on everyone yanked the cats, baffles, etc.. to make the bikes "breathe better" and get "better" performance which meant that programmers had to be installed to change the fuel ratio. Everyone imagines that they themselves are smarter than the engineers who designed the bikes.

I'm not a person who jacks up his 4x4, make modifications to motorcycles, or much of anything to things I buy. Don't have the money to spend and since I research my purchases I buy what I need. I don't buy a Honda Ruckus to make into a cruiser. All that said, I understand that I'm a boring guy and that the new world wasn't discovered by my kind of guys. So to each their own.:hello:
 
gossman_imp said:
Dakota_imp said:
I put heated grips on this summer and, because of the grips actually being a bit different size, the throttle was fairly tight. It made a HUGE difference in the driveability. Keeping the chain on the tighter side also helps. I really don't understand why so many jump to a programmer before fixing the mechanical issues first.
Because of the internet's corporate personality. Last motorcycle forum I was on everyone yanked the cats, baffles, etc.. to make the bikes "breathe better" and get "better" performance which meant that programmers had to be installed to change the fuel ratio. Everyone imagines that they themselves are smarter than the engineers who designed the bikes.

I'm not a person who jacks up his 4x4, make modifications to motorcycles, or much of anything to things I buy. Don't have the money to spend and since I research my purchases I buy what I need. I don't buy a Honda Ruckus to make into a cruiser. All that said, I understand that I'm a boring guy and that the new world wasn't discovered by my kind of guys. So to each their own.:hello:

:rofl: right there with ya brother!
 
TINK_imp said:
I own a 2009 ST1300 that suffered from severe jerky throttle fuel cut syndrome. No Power Commander available, so I went with a G2 Throttle Tamer Motorcycle Throttles & Handguards | G2 Ergonomics
The Throttle Tamer cured 90% of the issue with the ST1300, and it's only $80. Ya,ya, I did the throttle cable adjust and even synced the throttle bodies first, but no improvement. Some ST1300 owners say they can learn to manage the ST1300 throttle, but I'm just too ham-fisted I guess. While they don't specifically list the CB1100 on there web site, I would imagine any Honda Throttle Tamer would fit the CB1100 as Honda tends to have one design for something as generic as a throttle tube.

TINK
Tink,

Ivans of Rockland County makes a fuel cut eliminator, Its more of a electronic device than the throttle tamer. Here is the link in case your interested. The item is made to work with a stock bike.

Ivan's Performance Products
 
gossman_imp said:
Dakota_imp said:
I put heated grips on this summer and, because of the grips actually being a bit different size, the throttle was fairly tight. It made a HUGE difference in the driveability. Keeping the chain on the tighter side also helps. I really don't understand why so many jump to a programmer before fixing the mechanical issues first.
Because of the internet's corporate personality. Last motorcycle forum I was on everyone yanked the cats, baffles, etc.. to make the bikes "breathe better" and get "better" performance which meant that programmers had to be installed to change the fuel ratio. Everyone imagines that they themselves are smarter than the engineers who designed the bikes.

I'm not a person who jacks up his 4x4, make modifications to motorcycles, or much of anything to things I buy. Don't have the money to spend and since I research my purchases I buy what I need. I don't buy a Honda Ruckus to make into a cruiser. All that said, I understand that I'm a boring guy and that the new world wasn't discovered by my kind of guys. So to each their own.:hello:
Because of the internet's corporate personality. Last motorcycle forum I was on everyone yanked the cats, baffles, etc.. to make the bikes "breathe better" and get "better" performance which meant that programmers had to be installed to change the fuel ratio. Everyone imagines that they themselves are smarter than the engineers who designed the bikes.

I'm not a person who jacks up his 4x4, make modifications to motorcycles, or much of anything to things I buy. Don't have the money to spend and since I research my purchases I buy what I need. I don't buy a Honda Ruckus to make into a cruiser. All that said, I understand that I'm a boring guy and that the new world wasn't discovered by my kind of guys. So to each their own.:hello:
It is all about putting some intelligence into picking one's battles instead of blindly forging ahead with reckless and ignorant disregard..
 
I have to agree about not really modifying my bikes. I do not know how to create an engine or build a bike, and I know for sure that the guys at Honda (or any other bike manufacturer) know a heck of a lot more about it than I do.

Also, I always think that if I was ever offered a fully stock CB750 K1 or another heavily modified one for the same price, I know which one I would pick without the slightest hesitation...
 
My chain is tight, as is my throttle free play. I have a PCV tuned by a professional. I think that the tamer can further improve the smooth feel of my bike, so why not? I spent last 18 years wrenching on aircooled volkswagens, designing and making 'out of box' stuff. I'm happy I can take advantage of someone elses work and ideas now.
 
Installed a G2 Throttle Tamer > Throttle Tamer install

Took a short test ride... it definitely improves low speed low rpm maneuvering. Bike control at parking lot speeds is improved.

Going for a 100+ mile ride up to Santa Monica in the morning for breakfast with friends, will file a full report after that.

TINK

PS
My CB also has the Power Commander V installed.
 
Mine seems just as smooth as can be. I just dont have any gripes with it. AT about 4K I have just a little touch of buzz through the grips but its not a big deal. The fueling though seems to be spot on.
 
OldF7Guy_imp said:
Mine seems just as smooth as can be. I just dont have any gripes with it. AT about 4K I have just a little touch of buzz through the grips but its not a big deal. The fueling though seems to be spot on.
Same here. I read this thread the other day and decided to really pay attention while commuting to work which includes a good mix of highway and stop and go city traffic. It's pretty darn smooth. That makes me think it's not really a character trait of the bike but something that can be remedied with the right adjustments.
 
OldF7Guy_imp said:
Mine seems just as smooth as can be. I just dont have any gripes with it. AT about 4K I have just a little touch of buzz through the grips but its not a big deal. The fueling though seems to be spot on.
metallyguitarded_imp said:
OldF7Guy_imp said:
Mine seems just as smooth as can be. I just dont have any gripes with it. AT about 4K I have just a little touch of buzz through the grips but its not a big deal. The fueling though seems to be spot on.
Same here. I read this thread the other day and decided to really pay attention while commuting to work which includes a good mix of highway and stop and go city traffic. It's pretty darn smooth. That makes me think it's not really a character trait of the bike but something that can be remedied with the right adjustments.
There is nothing about my bike that I can even remotely associate with the term "herky - jerky". When I first read this thread, I thought "seriously?" The "right adjustments" suggestion has merit in that any of these bikes experiencing "herky - jerky" throttle may have an issue better addressed through a fix, rather than a band-aid.
 
keeping the rev's higher rather than riding with low revs will minimize the problem.

Also becoming more adept at clutchless shifting also will minimize the problem.

That said, I think i'm interested in the power commander or one of
the other changes to get rid of that dip in the low rpm power.

mike
 
Back
Top