Herky - Jerky Throttle Response

Damfino_imp

Been there
Thread starter
I know I saw this covered in another thread somewhere here on the forum, but I can't find it. I'm getting a very serious jerk when throttling up or down in lower gears. So much so that it started to wear on my arms the other day while out for a ride in stop and go traffic. I've tried easing on & off the throttle but to no avail. It's like, BAM! power on, BAM! power off. I remember some of the suggestions being throttle adjustment or chain adjustment, just wondering if any of those solved the issue with whoever was having it. Also, how many other members are having it? My throttle adjustment seems fine, I have yet to check my chain. The problem is super annoying in stop and go traffic, but other than that the bike is a dream!
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys. Cormanus, that wasn't the thread I read, (I found that one after starting this thread.) but it was describing the same problem I'm talking about. Interesting..., I guess I'll keep trying to improve my technique and checking my specs and see if I can't make it work better or just get used to it.
 
I've noticed it too, I think it's just the character of the bike....

I've owned 6 bikes and ridden dozens, this bike is by far the worst as far as that goes. it's throttle ON or throttle OFF.
drives me nuts!
 
12cb96vfr_imp said:
I've noticed it too, I think it's just the character of the bike....

I've owned 6 bikes and ridden dozens, this bike is by far the worst as far as that goes. it's throttle ON or throttle OFF.
drives me nuts!
Ha, ride an ST 1300 sometime. Took me a good half year to be smooth with the throttle and I still mess up every once in awhile. Really have to smoothly rooll on and off the throttle. Chopping the throttle will not make you or the bike happy.
 
I find this bike to be smooth on-off throttle, i know all about herky-Jerky my Suzuki GSX 750 L2 was horrible.
 
CB is nothing like my Bonneville at slow speeds/low rpm. So bad, wife would complain. Tiny throttle movement resulted in big forward or rearward jerking motion. By contrast, CB is very well behaved.
 
Strange, throttle response on mine is very linear, way better than the two fuel injected Triumphs I had and better than my wife's V-strom.

Could chain or throttle cable slack be a factor?
 
Here's my reply from the older thread:

I've found that the throttle free play on almost all modern bikes is set very loose from the factory, so I tighten it up to almost, but not quite, zero play, so that as soon as the throttle is turned it meets resistance. If that play isn't reduced you have this 'dead zone' of turning the throttle very easily, and then sudden resistance that is hard to guage exactly where it begins. By tightening the play, you are much more in control of throttle engagement. It makes being smoother much easier IMO. Within a few miles you will be used to the earlier throttle engagement. This completely eliminated any jerkiness in my CB1100, and has worked great on my other bikes also. I believe it was Greg who mentioned in the other thread that a loose throttle won't cause this on a FI bike and that may be so, but I still think a tighter throttle is just easier to modulate and control than a loose one.

I should mention that the above is in combination with having your chain slack set within factory spec, with the caveat that the CB11 seems to be less jerky when set toward the tighter side of the factory spec.
 
Mine was due to chain slack being almost double spec on delivery... Once I adjusted it properly, it's as smooth as any modern injected bike I've been on.
 
lackskill_imp said:
Mine was due to chain slack being almost double spec on delivery... Once I adjusted it properly, it's as smooth as any modern injected bike I've been on.
Where does Herky-jerky come from?
 
Tortuga_imp said:
lackskill_imp said:
Mine was due to chain slack being almost double spec on delivery... Once I adjusted it properly, it's as smooth as any modern injected bike I've been on.
Where does Herky-jerky come from?
Websters says the word is a reduplication of "Jerky", first used in 1957 (to describe......?????)
 
Tortuga_imp said:
lackskill_imp said:
Mine was due to chain slack being almost double spec on delivery... Once I adjusted it properly, it's as smooth as any modern injected bike I've been on.
Where does Herky-jerky come from?
Where does Herky-jerky come from?
chain slap. The slack in the chain will literally transition from top to bottom or vice versa depending on which throttle transition.

Think of it like pulling on a rope. If the rope has slack in it, you'll experience very little resistance followed by a sudden jerk. If the rope has no slack the resistance is linear and immediate.

The acceleration jerk is the transmission drive gear pulling on the chain and taking up the slack. The deceleration jerk is because of the final drive gear pulling on the chain and taking up the slack.
 
You can tell the difference between drive train play, and RPM drops and surges...you can't fix what the PCV does by tightening a chain or throttle play, its different.
 
lackskill_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
lackskill_imp said:
Mine was due to chain slack being almost double spec on delivery... Once I adjusted it properly, it's as smooth as any modern injected bike I've been on.
Where does Herky-jerky come from?
Where does Herky-jerky come from?
chain slap. The slack in the chain will literally transition from top to bottom or vice versa depending on which throttle transition.

Think of it like pulling on a rope. If the rope has slack in it, you'll experience very little resistance followed by a sudden jerk. If the rope has no slack the resistance is linear and immediate.

The acceleration jerk is the transmission drive gear pulling on the chain and taking up the slack. The deceleration jerk is because of the final drive gear pulling on the chain and taking up the slack.
Where does Herky-jerky come from?
chain slap. The slack in the chain will literally transition from top to bottom or vice versa depending on which throttle transition.

Think of it like pulling on a rope. If the rope has slack in it, you'll experience very little resistance followed by a sudden jerk. If the rope has no slack the resistance is linear and immediate.

The acceleration jerk is the transmission drive gear pulling on the chain and taking up the slack. The deceleration jerk is because of the final drive gear pulling on the chain and taking up the slack.

Ok, thanks I feel bad now, I wasted your time explaining the symptoms to me.

What I was asking is where the EXPRESSION 'Herky jerky' came from.
 
Back
Top