Help!!

kencal001_imp

New to the forum
Thread starter
Hey guys, i have a 2013 cb1100 with a littler over 10,000 miles. Bike has been riding flawlessly up until yesterday. I was riding fine for a few hours up until I was at a stop light and all of the sudden as I was trying to accelerate out of 1st gear my bike stalled. I thought i was acting like a noob not able to accelerate out of 1st gear, but I had to rev much more than usual in order to for the bike not to stall out. Also the exhaust sounded much different like a loss of power. Tank is full of premium gas, can't seem to figure out what the issue is. Still having the same symptoms when I returned home. When trying to accelerate out of 1st gear I have to give A LOT of throttle. CAN YOU GUYS HELP OUT PLEASE! TIA!!!
 
KenCal, start with the simple things first.
Find the rubber hoses that connect the pistons with the air box and make sure all the screws on the clamps are tight. Make sure all your spark plug wires are snug.
Does the bike start okay, but then the idle drops to 500 or so and then stall when you attempt to roll out? If so, find the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) on the left side of the engine ( near your left leg as you sit on it) and carefully disconnect it. This will put the bike in the "Limp Home" mode.
If it runs fine after you do that, you have the unstable idle problem, which I cured by replacing my ECU. Good luck.
 
i shared the page to you yesterday on fb welcome to the forum
i kinda feel it maybe a bad fuel pump by the symptoms a guess not knowing the codes
 
Thread starter
1973cb750_imp said:
i shared the page to you yesterday on fb welcome to the forum
i kinda feel it maybe a bad fuel pump by the symptoms a guess not knowing the codes
thank you! still trying to figure this out
Nachodaddy_imp said:
KenCal, start with the simple things first.
Find the rubber hoses that connect the pistons with the air box and make sure all the screws on the clamps are tight. Make sure all your spark plug wires are snug.
Does the bike start okay, but then the idle drops to 500 or so and then stall when you attempt to roll out? If so, find the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) on the left side of the engine ( near your left leg as you sit on it) and carefully disconnect it. This will put the bike in the "Limp Home" mode.
If it runs fine after you do that, you have the unstable idle problem, which I cured by replacing my ECU. Good luck.
tried this, symptoms still the same, no change at all
 
kencal001_imp said:
1973cb750_imp said:
i shared the page to you yesterday on fb welcome to the forum
i kinda feel it maybe a bad fuel pump by the symptoms a guess not knowing the codes
thank you! still trying to figure this out
Nachodaddy_imp said:
KenCal, start with the simple things first.
Find the rubber hoses that connect the pistons with the air box and make sure all the screws on the clamps are tight. Make sure all your spark plug wires are snug.
Does the bike start okay, but then the idle drops to 500 or so and then stall when you attempt to roll out? If so, find the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) on the left side of the engine ( near your left leg as you sit on it) and carefully disconnect it. This will put the bike in the "Limp Home" mode.
If it runs fine after you do that, you have the unstable idle problem, which I cured by replacing my ECU. Good luck.
tried this, symptoms still the same, no change at all
thank you! still trying to figure this out
Nachodaddy_imp said:
KenCal, start with the simple things first.
Find the rubber hoses that connect the pistons with the air box and make sure all the screws on the clamps are tight. Make sure all your spark plug wires are snug.
Does the bike start okay, but then the idle drops to 500 or so and then stall when you attempt to roll out? If so, find the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) on the left side of the engine ( near your left leg as you sit on it) and carefully disconnect it. This will put the bike in the "Limp Home" mode.
If it runs fine after you do that, you have the unstable idle problem, which I cured by replacing my ECU. Good luck.
tried this, symptoms still the same, no change at all That might actually be good news, since it is likely NOT the problem with the ECU which causes the unstable idle problem. The bad news is that it will take some dedicated trouble-shooting to find what it is.
I am hoping that it won't be long before some of the more experienced and knowledgeable members chime in with suggestions about how to look for codes or what other things you might do to pin down the cause of the problems you are having.
 
kencal001_imp said:
Hey guys, i have a 2013 cb1100 with a littler over 10,000 miles. Bike has been riding flawlessly up until yesterday. I was riding fine for a few hours up until I was at a stop light and all of the sudden as I was trying to accelerate out of 1st gear my bike stalled. I thought i was acting like a noob not able to accelerate out of 1st gear, but I had to rev much more than usual in order to for the bike not to stall out. Also the exhaust sounded much different like a loss of power. Tank is full of premium gas, can't seem to figure out what the issue is. Still having the same symptoms when I returned home. When trying to accelerate out of 1st gear I have to give A LOT of throttle. CAN YOU GUYS HELP OUT PLEASE! TIA!!!
Kencal, I am amazed that only a couple of us have tried to help. Usually with a question like this, you get lots of people arguing about the best approach to solving the problem.
I guess the next thing I'd try is to drain and replace the fuel and see if that helps.
Good luck. I have to apologize for the Forum not responding better to your post. I can't figure out why so few people seem interested in helping. Sorry.
 
I was hoping Powerdubs or M in SC would chime in.

Assuming you haven’t made any mods,
Is the FI light on (check engine light)? If so we need to read the code first and find out what fault is being sensed.

But, I would change the fuel. Also check what Nacho said. Check that there is spark on all 4 cylinders. If the tank has been off or lifted maybe the vent line is pinched. It has happened and caused problems similar to this. You could check this by running the bike with he fuel cap not closed. If all is good then you have a venting problem

pull the plugs and see how they look.

I doubt it is the fuel pump but anything is possible. That would be for after the other checks.
 
Thanks, Lord Popgun, the idea about the fuel cap is the kind of thing I'd never think of. I hoped you'd join in and I was also looking for PowerDubs and MinSC to help. I was hoping a few others, like Max, might have some ideas, as well.
kencal001, if and when you get it fixed, let us know what it was.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I was hoping Powerdubs or M in SC would chime in.

Assuming you haven’t made any mods,
Is the FI light on (check engine light)? If so we need to read the code first and find out what fault is being sensed.

But, I would change the fuel. Also check what Nacho said. Check that there is spark on all 4 cylinders. If the tank has been off or lifted maybe the vent line is pinched. It has happened and caused problems similar to this. You could check this by running the bike with he fuel cap not closed. If all is good then you have a venting problem

pull the plugs and see how they look.

I doubt it is the fuel pump but anything is possible. That would be for after the other checks.
seen three cases of bad pumps on facebook already this year low fuel pressure will make a efi system not want to rev
 
Good to know 1973. I guess maybe they are getting old enough to start failing?
 
kencal001_imp said:
Hey guys, i have a 2013 cb1100 with a littler over 10,000 miles. Bike has been riding flawlessly up until yesterday. I was riding fine for a few hours up until I was at a stop light and all of the sudden as I was trying to accelerate out of 1st gear my bike stalled. I thought i was acting like a noob not able to accelerate out of 1st gear, but I had to rev much more than usual in order to for the bike not to stall out. Also the exhaust sounded much different like a loss of power. Tank is full of premium gas, can't seem to figure out what the issue is. Still having the same symptoms when I returned home. When trying to accelerate out of 1st gear I have to give A LOT of throttle. CAN YOU GUYS HELP OUT PLEASE! TIA!!!
kencal, how is it going? Have you made any progress with solving your problem? I keep hoping a few more of the Forum members will see your question and help out, but it looks like everyone is busy doing other stuff. Keep us informed of your progress.
 
Can you please add some more information to help us help you? What does the engine sound like? Is it misfiring, or backfiring? How does the engine respond when you blip the throttle in neutral - does it rev like it normally does? Is the power loss only in first gear? How does the engine run at various RPMs, throttle settings, different gears, and throttle settings? Does it idle normally? Does it seem to be running hotter than normal? Have you checked your oil level? Are the brakes binding (roll the bile in neutral and see if it rolls normally).
 
More precisely;

1; Does the bike start normally and what is the initial idle speed?

2; are all four exhaust pipes warming up?

3; does it sound like some cylinders are missing and if so how many and which ones?

The bike has two ignition coils, one for cyl 2 and 3 and one for cyl 1 and 4,
One cylinder out is a faulty spark plug, a pair of cylinders out is loss of a coil system.
And a healthy spark is 21mm long with the engine running, i measured it.

4; does the fuel pump sound different ( higher pitch ) than normal?

5; it's 7 days later, is the bike back to normal?
 
max_imp said:
More precisely;

1; Does the bike start normally and what is the initial idle speed?

2; are all four exhaust pipes warming up?

3; does it sound like some cylinders are missing and if so how many and which ones?

The bike has two ignition coils, one for cyl 2 and 3 and one for cyl 1 and 4,
One cylinder out is a faulty spark plug, a pair of cylinders out is loss of a coil system.
And a healthy spark is 21mm long with the engine running, i measured it.

4; does the fuel pump sound different ( higher pitch ) than normal?

5; it's 7 days later, is the bike back to normal?
The logic behind these sentences is simple enough, ... once you understand it, and you are able to apply it. So let me rewrite it a little - not so much for kencal who may have given up - but for any initial trouble shooting, while out on the road:

With engine running rough, not starting well, etc. ... and related problems:
- measure the headers temperature (with your hands if cold enough)
- all 4 coming up and all the same: good
- one remains cold or cooler: check spark plug, and if you can the sparks produced
- two remaining cold or cooler: check coils (if you can), and wiring
- all 4 cyl.: listen to the fuel pump

One could easily turn these ideas and many similar ones into a very useful flow chart, which I still have to see here on the board or in the manual. I am sure the Honda dealers have it.

Anyway I will make sure to remember Max' words !!!
 
m in sc_imp said:
my opinion: what's the last thing you did? fill the tank with fuel.

start there. I bet the fuel bad of there's water in it.

Not going to lie: 20 years ago at a BP i accidentally put about a gallon of diesel in my 68 CB450. wasn't paying attention and grabbed the wrong nozzle. Yup. 1 and only time i ever did that. It wasnt empty so i made it home but holy cow it ran like crap and was smoking like i blew a ring (and i had just rebuilt the motor a few weeks earlier). didn't catch it till i took a fuel bowl off 'why is the fuel so yellow? ooohh.... "
Holy cow, M, you did really do this ...
(I can't catch myself LOL)
 
My brother did that once on his Triumph Bonnie a few years ago (got confused about the color of hand pumps at a BP station)
 
Back
Top