Helmet

White Dog_imp

Been there
Thread starter
Say, does a new, shinny black Shoei Qwest FF helmet qualify as an accessory? It sure is quiet, compared to my old Shoei Piro FF helmet. BTW, it was made in Japan, not China.
 
I have a Qwest FF too. Mine is silver and I love the thing. However, I don't know if its quiet. No helmet seems quiet to me so I wear ear plugs on the road.
 
I love my Qwest, too. I got the plain-vanilla-bright-as-sunshine-solid-white version with a dark screen to match my black and white jackets. Being a sportbike guy, I've always had the RF series (and only Shoei for over 30 years), so this was my first "upright position" helmet. I'm really impressed. The fit and noise level is much like my RFs, but the venting works better in the UJM/naked sitting position of the CB1100.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
I have a Qwest FF too. Mine is silver and I love the thing. However, I don't know if its quiet. No helmet seems quiet to me so I wear ear plugs on the road.
Hey Popgun, have you ever tried ear bud speakers? If so, how did you get them to stay in place when putting on the helmet? I have a new pair I'll try tomorrow to see if that helps me. They are more contoured than the old pair so they may work. I want to be able to listen to my Ipod. Remember those things?

I experimented with headphone speakers tonight but the cord was too short. I wasted a perfectly good set of headphones as they stuck out too far against my ears.
 
Have you tried in-ear style headphones? They come with different sized rubber tips. They do a great job of blocking outside noise so you don't have to crank up the volume to crazy levels. Even when you're not listening to music, they act like earplugs to keep the noise level down. Best of all, they don't stick out like traditional earbuds, so there's no problem putting on your helmet while wearing them.

I use these cheapies from Phillips and they sound surprisingly good,
9a2478aabecd7c01e83cd2a9a1b8eb63.jpg


Amazon.com
 
White Dog, if you seriously want to listen to music, do yourself a favour and get some Bose QC20 noise canceling in-ear headphones. Not only can you hear the music without jarring your brain, the are incredibly effective in keeping out high levels of road and wind noise.

I don not work for or have shares in Bose. I've just used this product and think it's brilliant.
 
Thread starter
Flynrider_imp said:
Have you tried in-ear style headphones? They come with different sized rubber tips. They do a great job of blocking outside noise so you don't have to crank up the volume to crazy levels. Even when you're not listening to music, they act like earplugs to keep the noise level down. Best of all, they don't stick out like traditional earbuds, so there's no problem putting on your helmet while wearing them.

I use these cheapies from Phillips and they sound surprisingly good,
9a2478aabecd7c01e83cd2a9a1b8eb63.jpg


Amazon.com
No, I've only tried the original Ipod ear buds but I believe they are too large for my ears. I'll test the ones which came with my Iphone tomorrow before buying more. Thanks for the amazon link.
 
I went to Bluetooth speakers in the helmet and love them.

All Products
 
I've never tried any ear buds for music. Just foamy ear plugs to block wind noise.
 
Thread starter
White Dog_imp said:
Flynrider_imp said:
Have you tried in-ear style headphones? They come with different sized rubber tips. They do a great job of blocking outside noise so you don't have to crank up the volume to crazy levels. Even when you're not listening to music, they act like earplugs to keep the noise level down. Best of all, they don't stick out like traditional earbuds, so there's no problem putting on your helmet while wearing them.

I use these cheapies from Phillips and they sound surprisingly good,
9a2478aabecd7c01e83cd2a9a1b8eb63.jpg


Amazon.com
No, I've only tried the original Ipod ear buds but I believe they are too large for my ears. I'll test the ones which came with my Iphone tomorrow before buying more. Thanks for the amazon link.
No, I've only tried the original Ipod ear buds but I believe they are too large for my ears. I'll test the ones which came with my Iphone tomorrow before buying more. Thanks for the amazon link. Target had these for $9.99 so I grabbed a pair. Have to be real careful sliding on my full face helmet to get these puppies to stay in position but once there, they sound great. I'd rather have "regulation-size" speakers but so far, I haven't been able to find any which are thin enough to fit in the Shoei helmet I have without hurting my ears. Maxell advertises super thin speakers but I've not found any locally yet.
 
Glad to hear they worked for you. I wear these under my helmet and under my headset in the airplane. Both noisy environments. They're so cheap that you won't feel so bad if you lose/break 'em.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
White Dog, if you seriously want to listen to music, do yourself a favour and get some Bose QC20 noise canceling in-ear headphones. Not only can you hear the music without jarring your brain, the are incredibly effective in keeping out high levels of road and wind noise.

I don not work for or have shares in Bose. I've just used this product and think it's brilliant.
Amen. I've been using Bose products for close to 20 years now, and their sound quality is just astounding.
 
Thread starter
The problem I have experienced is my helmet cushion fits snugly and anything like earphones and even ear buds get pulled from my ears. I have to carefully wiggle my helmet while holding the earphone/bud in place with one finger, then do the other side the same way. I may have found a solution by cutting off the band holding the earphones and mounting them inside the helmet. Now, to figure out how to get my head into the helmet without bending my ears double, cause that sure hurts!]

BTW, the cheek pads are supposedly replaceable so thinner ones might be a solution.
 
Ya getting the helmet on and off is why I went with these. They tuck in the ear nicely and allow for easy helmet on/off. Could not figure out how to reduce size of image....

 
Back
Top