Helmet lock unusable?

I use the helmet cable that came with my wife's CTX to lock both helmets to my bike (that was she doesn't have to pull her seat off to lock it to her bike). However, it's a little short for both helmets, so I might buy an extension like the ones described or I may just run to the hardware store and buy the shortest bicycle cable they have to run thru both D rings and on to the locking ring--That may be cheaper and just as effective.
 
hey bud I have an RS1 and it works, actually I love it compared to my last bike!

I know some guys will hook on a helmet and leave it on there while they ride (like if they are picking up a passenger) and I could see how that would be a pain.
 
Rolls_imp said:
You are right, Pechorin75, I have had other bikes that have easier access, but I use the CB1100 helmet lock regularly with my Bell RS-1. Great helmet, btw.
Maybe I'm missing something but why not just carry a small length of light chain just big enough to fit in the receiver bolt of the lock and loop that through your D-ring and ends into the fastener? That would afford you as much play as you'd like to design in.
 
Jonnyallover_imp said:
Rolls_imp said:
You are right, Pechorin75, I have had other bikes that have easier access, but I use the CB1100 helmet lock regularly with my Bell RS-1. Great helmet, btw.
Maybe I'm missing something but why not just carry a small length of light chain just big enough to fit in the receiver bolt of the lock and loop that through your D-ring and ends into the fastener? That would afford you as much play as you'd like to design in.
This makes it easier for the helmet to be stolen. As it is there are enough helmets having the chin strap cut, we don't want to make it any easier on the thieves.
 
Thread starter
I eventually found that if I kinda wiggled the helmet around and wedged it into the side of the bike, I could get it to reach...but it's nowhere near as easy as on some other bikes I've ridden. I see others w/ RS-1 helmets said they had no problems...but it's at least possible that having an XXL shell makes things a little tougher.

Anyway, most of the time I just stick my gloves inside the helmet and plunk it down on the right-side mirror. In the places were I usually make short-term stops, nobody seems to mess with unsecured helmets...so it's a risk I'm willing to take in most cases.
 
its truly a shame we even have to worry about someone stealing our stuff. truly sad.
 
The ferret_imp said:
its truly a shame we even have to worry about someone stealing our stuff. truly sad.
This is one of the main reasons that I HAVE to get out of here.
 
Leaving a helmet in the mirror is not too much of a problem where I live. Wouldn't do it in the city.
 
I lock mine in the top case. I just don't trust people out here very much as I see and hear of WAY too much bad stuff happening all over the area way too often.
 
yeah, the helmet lock is not in the optimal position, but it's far better than most other OEM systems I've seen out there. My wife's CTX has an under seat lock that's a complete pain in the butt. Fortunately, her system includes a short length of cable with a loop at each end which we use to tether both helmets to my lock. It's a little tight, but it works for us.

I have no difficulty whatsoever using the CB's lock for just my helmet, but I'd suggest getting a short cable like the one Honda supplies for its under seat locks to buy yourself a little more room.
 
I had three "men" 22 years ago try and steel my BMW in a small town in rural Nevada where I lived 3 blocks from my house. One was riding two were pushing, yea a 575 lb motorcycle! When confronted they dropped the bike and ran. The dropping scratched the paint on my fairing and broke a lower mounting tab on the right lower. Still have bike, but I take more care where I park and if not in sight a lock


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
The NC750 the dealer has lent me a couple of times while the CB1100 is being serviced has an appalling undersea helmet lock that you have to use the supplied wire strap with. Even then it's a PIA to get the helmet on it. The CB1100's is much better—and the second, underseat one is OK too.
 
Back
Top