Helmet lock unusable?

pechorin75_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
So am I missing something, or is it unusually difficult to use the helmet lock on this bike? I have a Bell RS-1 (which doesn't have an abnormally short chin strap, so far as I can tell), and I can't get the D-ring anywhere near the lock. The helmet shell hits the bike, and that's all the further she goes. Haven't tried another helmet yet, but I don't see any way the Bell is gonna hook up.

Anybody else have this experience? Is there some "secret" I'm missing?
 
It took me a couple minutes of fiddling to get my Shoei Neotec attached, but I eventually got it. FWIW, I haven't used it since. I just carry it with me.

Eventually I'm going to get a top box that I can stick my and my wife's helmets in.
 
I use the helmet lock all the time with my Shoei RF-1100. It's a little tight, but not awful. There's basically 2 way you can go about it, you can have the left side of the helmet facing up, or the right side. On my Shoei, the D rings on the left side, I usually attach the helmet with the left side facing up towards the seat.
 
I bought a helmet guardian which goes across the back lic plate bracket

 
I can hook my Shoei Qwest and Multi-tec's with no problem, but I have noticed that it can be a little tight. I found that swapping the hand holding the d-rings helped a surprising amount.
 
I had the same hard time getting hooked on to the stock helmet lock.

Ferret, do you have a vendor or source for that helmet guardian? Is it the single or dual?

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
kevbroce_imp said:
I use the helmet lock all the time with my Shoei RF-1100. It's a little tight, but not awful. There's basically 2 way you can go about it, you can have the left side of the helmet facing up, or the right side. On my Shoei, the D rings on the left side, I usually attach the helmet with the left side facing up towards the seat.
I have the same experience with my RF-1100. It's a stretch to get it to connect, and then awkward to operate the key. Geometry on my old Shadow's helmet latch worked much better (and was spring-operated; didn't need the key to close).

Maybe running the strap as if I was wearing it at the time would be easier to get it on the hook. Wouldn't help prevent theft, but more secure than resting it on the mirror.
 
No problem with Shark, AGV or Davida. Sometimes if doing by feel, instead of having a look, I get unlucky and try and put the D-ring over the lock mechanism instead of the hook. After fumbling, and muttering various incantations for a short while I have look and get it right. Sometimes I also fit a helmet bag cord as well as the D-ring over the hook. No great problem, but you are right, Pechorin75, in that I have had other bikes that have easier access.

Cheers.
 
You are right, Pechorin75, I have had other bikes that have easier access, but I use the CB1100 helmet lock regularly with my Bell RS-1. Great helmet, btw.
 
I posted about having trouble using the helmet lock last year. My modular has to have the chin section raised to be able to get it on the lock. With time it has become a bit easier, but it's still somewhat awkward.

One tip about the helmet lock : Don't leave the key in the lock. The length of the key and the position of the lock are such that you'll bend or break the key off with your leg if you try to put the bike up on the center stand. I'm not the only one who has managed to do this :@
 
shdwghst457_imp said:
kevbroce_imp said:
I use the helmet lock all the time with my Shoei RF-1100. It's a little tight, but not awful. There's basically 2 way you can go about it, you can have the left side of the helmet facing up, or the right side. On my Shoei, the D rings on the left side, I usually attach the helmet with the left side facing up towards the seat.
I have the same experience with my RF-1100. It's a stretch to get it to connect, and then awkward to operate the key. Geometry on my old Shadow's helmet latch worked much better (and was spring-operated; didn't need the key to close).

Maybe running the strap as if I was wearing it at the time would be easier to get it on the hook. Wouldn't help prevent theft, but more secure than resting it on the mirror.
Yeah, anyone looking at a helmet attached to a bike there would assume its securely locked in place. Might be easy to just strap it in place like you're saying.
 
It's not the easiest lock, but I can make it work by twisting the helmet around as I put it on.

Don't forget there is another hook under the seat that can be used to lock a helmet to the bike.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
I posted about having trouble using the helmet lock last year. My modular has to have the chin section raised to be able to get it on the lock. With time it has become a bit easier, but it's still somewhat awkward.

One tip about the helmet lock : Don't leave the key in the lock. The length of the key and the position of the lock are such that you'll bend or break the key off with your leg if you try to put the bike up on the center stand. I'm not the only one who has managed to do this :@
Flynrider - very true. I have bent my key in exactly that manner. I should have added that to my "how to install OEM rack" post. A whack with a ball peen hammer fixed it but I can see worse outcomes.

Cheers.
 
Thread starter
Huh...I didn't know such a thing as a helmet lock extension even existed. Might have to look into that, or the license plate setup Ferret has. Although it sounds like I need to give the RS-1 another shot....at least one person reports getting his attached. Thanks for the advice, guys!
 
I have one of these with the cable. It's really handy, particularly for locking my jacket to the bike for short periods. It's too hot here most of the time to wear it except on the bike.

http://www.helmetlok.com
 
I flipped the shield open, put my hand in there and the D ring was easy peasy to put on the hook. :thumbsup:

Not sure if that will you folks but it's worth a try.
 
Back
Top