Heads up on 2014 Sprocket Cover

CB4ME_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
The aluminum sprocket cover from 2014 CB fits the 2013. However the bottom mounting hole does not line up.

7a0967139679885a94f8732a2812fa0a.jpg


This may be a show stopper for some of you thinking about swapping out their plastic covers.

I’m going to use some blue Loctite on the top 2 mounting bolts and get a nut and lock washer to secure the bottom bolt to the cover. I’m confident the cover will stay in place. It looks light years better than the plastic cover, especially the black cover that comes on US 2013s.
 
wow I can't believe Honda made so many changes in the 2014 model

Thanks for the heads up ..may save some members some grief
 
The ferret_imp said:
wow I can't believe Honda made so many changes in the 2014 model

Thanks for the heads up ..may save some members some grief
Really......:s this is crazy.....good thing there's a good aftermarket for the 13, long wait for the 14.....
 
That sucks, I was hoping it would fit. Just because they added that stupid 6th gear no doubt.

Please continue to post details on your findings, CB4me.
 
Depends on the risers opinion I suppose. I personally find 6th gear not necessary but if someone was wanting to do some more touring or significant highway driving I would imagine it would be helpful. People will use this bike for a wide range of riding but I'd think there would be better choices for touring or highway driving.
My cb is really an around towner and short day ride duty. For other rides I'd pick one of its stable mates. I suppose with a 6th gear one could really make it a one bike does all. Sort of. Depending how comfy the cb would be on long rides.
My wife and I did a fairly intense ride for just a few hours and she remarked our other bike (sport tour) being much more comfortable for her on a ride like that.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Thread starter
INTP_imp said:
How much is that aluminum cover?

Do you want to sell that silver plastic one?
The aluminum cover is 21500 yen, or about $210 US. In contrast, I paid $150 including shipping for the silver plastic covers.

While the bottom mounting hole on the aluminum cover doesn't line up, otherwise it fits perfectly. It is very solidly mounted with just the top two mounting bolts. The shifter rod is perfectly centered in the cover's hole.

The rounded shape of the aluminum cover really looks fantastic and it is already one of my favorite accessories. Shame on Honda for not making it standard in 2013.

I have but no longer need those silver plastic covers as well as a set of IKON shocks, CB500F mirrors, Buell footpegs, Puig Plus windscreen and a few other aftermarket parts, plus a ton of original parts.

I 'll probably set up a PayPal sellers account and offer them for 50% to 70% below retail.
 
Its great that the new cover fits! Because its truly just a cover and not bearing any load, the missing third bolt shouldn't be an issue aside from appearance. Perhaps a plug of some sort to fill the hole?

And ditto on the photo of it installed, love to see it.
 
Thread starter
Will do. I just installed the cover, a pair of Ohlins, and MotoGear Ti cat free headers. I've been unable to ride for 3 months due to snow and a muddy driveway. Tires were nearly 20 lbs low from sitting! Heading out for my first Spring ride!
 
Wow your bike just keeps getting better and better. :thumbsup:

So are you going with concrete or blacktop on the driveway?
 
Thread starter
Here's a crappy picture I just took of the 2014 aluminum sprocket cover. Takashi supplied 3 free silver bolts .

I secured the bottom bolt with a stainless nut and lock washer on the back side of the cover to fill the mounting hole. The 2 top bolts required a couple of washers on the front side. Without them the bolts stopped just short of full contact with the cover.

ada4592b15bd3db4b75b84406009edaf.jpg


The cover looks a lot better in person. Nice rounded edges - this is the cover all CB1100s deserve.
 
Thanks for the info and the pic, CB4ME. Your bike looks great! :thumbsup:

I'm gonna have to think about it, I'm a little nervous about that missing bolt. Let us know how it's working out.

Thanks again
 
Thread starter
Houtman_imp said:
On your picture I see adjustable foot pegs,are they the Moriwaki and do you like them? Thanks.
Footpegs are made by SP TAKEGAWA. You can view them on Webike but I got mine at Samurider. 9500 yen

http://japan.webike.net/products/21152360.html

These pegs are designed to provide about 1/2” of forward, rearward or upward adjustment. Anything downward requires cutting off or filing a tiny hardened rolled pin from each peg and filing a notch in the pegs to accommodate the main bolt. Doing so will allow full 360 degree movement.

The retracted side stand hits the left peg when they are in the full down position. I adjusted mine as shown, about 0.4” down and 0.4” forward. The side stand loop barely touches the peg, but the peg covers the side stand. Instead, I push against the tip of the side stand to lower it. This is very easy and natural to do.

57f295e51e6d9195ca3a8c2d2b9ea2f9.jpg


I absolutely love these pegs. They are precision made, look great, are comfortable and provide superior grip. It may not look like it, but they provide a noticeable improvement in ride comfort. I consider these pegs well worth the price and the small amount of modification needed to fit in a lower position. If you just want to raise your pegs or move them forward or rearward, they are good to go right out of the box.
 
Back
Top