Have you replaced your battery?

Just some observations. Our batteries seem on the small side for a 1100cc engine? At least compared to other machines & powersports. In general we ride in warmer weather than say a 4-stroke snowmobile with a battery.

Another generality is that those who use 'tenders' seem to get more life out their batteries? I use a tender on various machines, though periodically. It's not that it hurts to leave them plugged in, I just move mine around fairly often.

My main one is an Optimate 4, others are fine too.
 
Same battery is in my ST1300 and its a beast! I don't think is is too small for our bike.
 
sourdough44_imp said:
Just some observations. Our batteries seem on the small side for a 1100cc engine? At least compared to other machines & powersports. In general we ride in warmer weather than say a 4-stroke snowmobile with a battery.

Another generality is that those who use 'tenders' seem to get more life out their batteries? I use a tender on various machines, though periodically. It's not that it hurts to leave them plugged in, I just move mine around fairly often.

My main one is an Optimate 4, others are fine too.
Maybe. I believe that those, who drive their motorbikes and cars on a regular basis throughout the year, will get the longest life out of their batteries. The bike or car will take the best care of the battery, even better than a tender. Mostly batteries experience a 'sudden' death 'cause of too long stand still periods with or without a tender. I also own an Optimate, but never used it with my bikes. I prefer to use them. The CB's battery lasts 4 years until now and I believe, there are some more years to come. The W's one is 6 years old and still works fine. I drive my bikes, not so often in wintertime, but ride every once in a while, whenever I find some time to do so and the weather is not too bad.

Wisedrum
 
FWIW, this week I ordered a new battery for my K1200RS. Though I kept it on a Battery Tender, I noticed my old battery was beginning to discharge and taking longer to switch to "maintenance" mode on the tender. So, I bought a new one as a preemptive measure. I bought the old battery in June 2008, so it gave about nine years of reliable service. It was just a cheap, no-name, $60 AGM that I found on Amazon. That's what the new one is, too.
 
Mine died on me two days ago at a gas station. :@
It's almost 4 years old so it was time, I guess. I got a Parts Unlimited battery from my Kawasaki dealer for just under a hundred bucks. The new one is supposed to have more CCA than the stock battery. :thumbsup:
 
5x the life? That means it should be good for 15 years? Wow
 
That looks like a pretty good deal on a LiFePo battery, Penguinn. It appears to be a fairly new product, given the lack of reviews. Let us know how it works out.

My $99 MMG lithium battery is about to turn 2 years old, at which point it'll have outlasted the OEM battery.
 
For anyone wondering I picked up the voltmeter mentioned by curlyjoe and a battery tender cable. Tested my battery and I'm at a healthy 12.6V. Nice and easy way to check weekly if you're like me and worry about little things like this.

 
Back
Top