Have you replaced your battery?

dave

Road warrior
Thread starter
Just replaced the battery in my 2014 Dlx today. I'm a little disappointed that it only lasted about 2 1/2 years, but I was really surprised when my dealer quoted me $179.99 for a replacement Yuasa battery! I ended up buying a replacement battery made by "Power Source" (it's probably manufactured in China, but my dealer didn't know), for less than 1/2 the price (actually $69.99 after my discount). Yes, I looked on the internet (after my purchase) for battery prices and they can be had cheaper, but I wanted my battery today. So my questions are these: Have you replaced your battery, and if you have, how long did the original last? Also, if you replaced your battery did you go with an exact YUASA replacement, or some other after-market brand? Does anybody have any experience with the "Power Source" brand of battery? Thank you.
 
I just replaced mine. The battery, like yours was about 2 1/2 years old. I bought it at 'Battery, Bulbs, and More'. I paid about $110.00 for it. I've never really had success with any battery going much past 3 years in any car, boat, or bike that I've owned, so I wasn't surprised with this replacement. I'm told the heat down here is the problem. I bought one from them for my KLR last year and it's fine. We'll see...
 
I replaced the stock battery in my '13 exactly two years from the day I bought it. I wasn't thrilled with that, but realistically, 2.5 to 3 years is about as long as batteries last in our desert heat.

I replaced it with an MMG Lithium battery from Amazon at $99. Lithium chemistry isn't affected as much by heat, so I'm cautiously optimistic about this one. It's also about 6 lbs. lighter than a conventional battery. So far, so good after over 1.5 years.
 
Mild temps here and pretty regular riding year round... maybe I'll get 4-5 years after all. My original equipment car battery lasted 11 years. Anyway, good to have options.
 
Bought this bike in April 2014 still on original battery. Will be 3 years in 4 months.

My first ST battery lasted 5 years, replaced with another OEM Yuasa. That lasted 5 years, replaced with another OEM Yuasa.

caveat: My bikes don't sit long and are on a tender jr whenever I am not riding them 24/7/365 and I don't live where it gets extremely cold or hot
 
I've only used Yuasa batteries for the past 25 years and have had excellent life from all of them.
My 2006 Bonneville, for example, still has the original battery, but next spring I'm going to fit another Yuasa as I'm probably pushing my luck. Better safe than sorry.
I easily get 7-8 years from the Yuasa batteries in my other bikes.
These batteries are pricey, but considering the service I am getting from them I think they're worth the cost.
YMMV.
 
I replaced mine this Summer with an OEM Yuasa from the dealer. I bought the bike in March or April of 2013.
 
The OE battery on my 2013 is still going strong at 3 years and 1 month, 12k miles. I keep it on a Battery Tender.
 
My DLX still has the original battery. It's always connected to a battery tender jr. when not being ridden. I've had good success with cheap no-name batteries for my BMW's (see amazon.com) and will go that route again when the CB battery needs to be replaced.
 
My bike (2011 model) first rolled out of the showroom in May 2013. I replaced the battery in September 2016 with a Dynavolt which cost me less than AU$100.
 
I'm at 3 years with original battery and like others have shared, I too connect the battery to my Optimate 5 charger after EVERY ride. My last 3 motorcycles have all had Yuasa batteries, all connected to my chargers indefinitely when not in use, and have all lasted a minimum of 4 years. I inevitably replace them proactively at that point as I've never had one die on me. The bike is also kept in a garage year round. I'll probably stick with the current battery all 2017 as long as it remains healthy and consider pro-actively replacing in 2018/2019.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top