Handlebar end weights

lash_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Tonight I replaced my handgrips with larger diameter ones. Screwed the end weights back on but they don't seem to tighten up like I think they should. Screw just seems to keep on turning. The service manual says I should be putting in a new screw. Why is this?
 
Lash,

In the general information section of the manual where the torque specs are, it say this is an ALOC screw. That means it comes new with thread locker. The joke meaning of ALOC is Add Locker Or Crash. Actually, it may mean anerobic locking compound.

So, just add some Loctite or your favorite locker. You don't want the screw falling out on the road. I've done it on my CB and ST. No problems with the screw coming out.
Forgot to add: You have to hold the bar end while you tighten the screw. The bar end will will not get TIGHT. It will move and you can easily turn it with your hand.
 
Don't use the red. Use the blue, or medium strength. With red you might not get it out again without problems.
 
If the bar weights don't have the notched ends the internal nut can keep on spinning. Locktite should work to keep it in and will probably be your best option with those weights, but if the nut is in fact spinning getting it out later may be a bit of a pain once the locktite sets. I ended up ditching the cool looking bar weights and went back to stock weight (available in either black or chrome) with new screws and clips inside the bar and things tightened back up nicely for me.
 
This is what my company uses for internal tube nuts. They lock in place and don't move.

McMaster-Carr
 
Back
Top