Handle Bar Clamp adds character to bike

17-CB-002

Been there
Thread starter
Since I am having my PMS (Post Motorcycle Syndrome) here in Canada, I had to do something to my bike.
I installed a old handle bar clamp from a 90's Nighthawk on my bike.
It just makes it looks better.
Originally, it was painted black, however, I spent a few hours on the buffer wheel and finally it has a satin finish.:)

I also added a thermometer in between the 2 gauges.
 
That looks pretty darn cool!
 
Congratulations, Alain. Nice job.

Thought I'd post the picture for you.

 
Can you describe how you mounted the thermometer in a little more detail? I love the look. I currently have one very similar, but it mounts to the handlebar, between the clamps. I'd have to move it if I wanted to copy your bar clamp cover. Great mods that you did!
 
peterbaron_imp said:
That CBX on the right is tempting too, can we have a full pic of it???
:)
He has 2 ya know. Check out his sig line.
 
KiowaEagle_imp said:
I like the thermometer idea and the way you have it mounted.

But I have to ask....What's with the color coding on the instruments?
I am wondering this too. Perhaps a reflection?
 
apex1_imp said:
KiowaEagle_imp said:
I like the thermometer idea and the way you have it mounted.

But I have to ask....What's with the color coding on the instruments?
I am wondering this too. Perhaps a reflection?
I am wondering this too. Perhaps a reflection?
They look like stickers to mark some sort of riding speed reference.

Example: Efficient vs. less efficient?
 
Thread starter
Apologies Gents,
Was out of town for a few days.
To answer some of your inquiries:
The thermometer is from "MARLIN's Clocks" USA.
https://www.marlinsclocks.com
The thermometer is glued with double sided tape right on top of the HONDA badge.

The speedometer marking is for quick glance while riding so that I do not overspeed in specific area's. This help me confirm my road speed instantly.
I do not have to search for the numerical speed markings on the speedometer.. especially when riding above 140 KPH.

The tach marking is where the engine produces the most "torque", so I always keep the RPM within the torque range. note, I keep switching between both the CBX and the CB1100, I keep forgetting the torque zone of each bike.
From my understanding of the engine design, I marked the engine torque range on the tach.

See attached a picture of the CBX.

Sorry the file is too big - Can someone assist me in reducing it.
Thanks
 
Wow, I love the look! I was a bit confused though, as I and several of my friends own '91-'03 Nighthawks and I've never seen a handlebar clamp like that.

A bit of 'net sleuthing leads me to believe your clamp came from an '82-'86 Nighthawk 450SC. It seems to be the only model I could find with that cool clamp.

1de45ef22f96227a1ded1bdab93d8263.jpg
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Wow, I love the look! I was a bit confused though, as I and several of my friends own '91-'03 Nighthawks and I've never seen a handlebar clamp like that.

A bit of 'net sleuthing leads me to believe your clamp came from an '82-'86 Nighthawk 450SC. It seems to be the only model I could find with that cool clamp.

1de45ef22f96227a1ded1bdab93d8263.jpg
Re-using antique bits adds a little bit of extra soul.
 
Thread starter
Here's more info on the Merlins Thermometer

Below link should take you directly to the proper thermometer site.
Note: The thermometer snug fit onto a base with a flat bottom.
Using a double sided tape on top of the HONDA emblem will do the trick.
Multi-Purpose-Tape-Screw-On-with-Traditional-Black-Thermometer--Fits-Road-King-Tank-and-Flat-Panel-More_p_68.html

My local repair workshop must have given me the wrong production year - so sorry for misleading you. Mine looked just like your picture when I got it. After an hour or so on the buffer wheel and a retouch with a black paint - it came out exactly like brush finish.

The allen screw torque is 17 ft/lb
To avoid scratching the chrome caps, use an exact blade to remove the caps.
Good luck.

Let's see some pictures after completion :shy:
 
Back
Top