Gut Factory Muffler

Gbpack,

You might want to check this out for the popping on decal: PAIR Valve Mod
 
Glad I could help! I guess you figured out I meant decel, not decal. Probably a thread for those somewhere though :)
 

I cut the inside snoot flush, drilled 3, 1 inch holes in the backing plate, than I cut the inside out of the end cap. It sounds good with a nice rumble thru excelleration. I had also bought a almost new factory slip on for $150 shipped, from someone on the forum.just in case I screwed it up. So far I am very happy with the sound. I tried to make a sound clip with my IPad but it won't let me post it.
 
Carguy1959_imp said:
I cut the inside snoot flush, drilled 3, 1 inch holes in the backing plate, than I cut the inside out of the end cap. It sounds good with a nice rumble thru excelleration. I had also bought a almost new factory slip on for $150 shipped, from someone on the forum.just in case I screwed it up. So far I am very happy with the sound. I tried to make a sound clip with my IPad but it won't let me post it.
I'd love to hear what this sounds like! Can you email me the clip? I can post it to YouTube and share it here if you want.
 
Carguy, maybe it's because I'm in the southern hemisphere, but it looks like you've managed to get your bike on the ceiling.
 
All his pics are like that. I wonder if the audio clip is backwards :P
 
˙sı ʎןqɐqoɹd ʇı ʞuıɥʇ ı ˙sǝʎ
 
Я не понимаю, русской либо.
 
Thread starter
Finally after 2 years I have completely removed all I plan to remove from my factory muffler. (new hip slowed me down last year ;-)

I do have my original safely stored away if I ever want to go back, but I love the sound (including the back-firing) and the large megaphone factory look.

I only know enough about harmonics and sound waves to know that I know very little on the physics of the subject, but I think the megaphone shape does increase or amplify the volume to near what I was looking for..... that old uncapped Kerker header I remember on a Kawasaki Z1 900 I once rode.

Amazingly I think I can tell a slight increase in sound after cutting that pipe off.

The modification is not visible unless someone is up close and looking directly up my tail pipe and if they are shame on them ;-)



[url=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/offroadfx4/media/CB1100/CB1100%20Exhaust%20Tools%203_zpsrj1sdjlu.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/offroadfx4/media/CB1100/CB1100%20Exhaust%20Tools%201_zpsbtgiq3eh.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/offroadfx4/media/CB1100/CB1100%20Exhaust%20Center%20Pipe%20Before%201_zpsdrrhrquw.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/offroadfx4/media/CB1100/CB1100%20Exhaust%20Center%20Pipe%20Before%202_zps8rlxbyd7.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/offroadfx4/media/CB1100/CB1100%20Exhaust%20Center%20Pipe%20Before%203_zpsopfdo22y.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/offroadfx4/media/CB1100/CB1100%20Exhaust%20Final%202_zpskpsrydfk.jpg.html]

[url=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/offroadfx4/media/CB1100/CB1100%20Exhaust%20Final%201_zpsvkhwca5j.jpg.html]
 
offroadfx4,

Just curious...did you try opening up the center hole in the end cap (like Carguy1959 did) before you cut off the 3 mounting tabs? The end cap would have hid much of the evidence that you had modified the muffler, but then it may not have allowed the full "megaphonic" sound you were after.

Did you paint the inside flat black?...it is hard to tell from your last photo.
 
Thread starter
I did try replacing the cap after gutting, but it muffled the sound too much....after running with the cap off for over a year I decided to cut the tabs off. Having my original in storage made me more bold.

Didn't paint the inside....Just naturally becomes 'sooted' up from the exhaust.
 
I notice this thread has over 19,000 views. Seems weird to me, since Honda only sold about 43 of these bikes... :s
 
Back
Top