Gut Factory Muffler

mininsx_imp said:
metalmaven_imp said:
I might have to try that! It looks like the tube is cut down on the inside on that last (open) photo. Is it?
I might have to try that! It looks like the tube is cut down on the inside on that last (open) photo. Is it?
Yeah, I cut most of it off using a Dremel. If it's left the original length there's very little room for any "extra" exhaust to get out.
And I'd like to thank "offroadfx4" for hacking off the end of his muffler so I could see exactly what's going on behind that end plate. His photos gave me the nerve to start drilling on mine. :beerchug:
I might have to try that! It looks like the tube is cut down on the inside on that last (open) photo. Is it?
Yeah, I cut most of it off using a Dremel. If it's left the original length there's very little room for any "extra" exhaust to get out.
And I'd like to thank "offroadfx4" for hacking off the end of his muffler so I could see exactly what's going on behind that end plate. His photos gave me the nerve to start drilling on mine. :beerchug:
So, all you did was cut that rectangular hole and then cut the exhaust tip shorter to get that sound?
 
SanPete_imp said:
That camera man needs to improve on his aiming skills.
Hahaha, I was going for the SOUND, not a "picture!" :cool:
(It was terrible, wasn't it?)
dailyrider_imp said:
mininsx_imp said:
metalmaven_imp said:
I might have to try that! It looks like the tube is cut down on the inside on that last (open) photo. Is it?
I might have to try that! It looks like the tube is cut down on the inside on that last (open) photo. Is it?
Yeah, I cut most of it off using a Dremel. If it's left the original length there's very little room for any "extra" exhaust to get out.
And I'd like to thank "offroadfx4" for hacking off the end of his muffler so I could see exactly what's going on behind that end plate. His photos gave me the nerve to start drilling on mine. :beerchug:
I might have to try that! It looks like the tube is cut down on the inside on that last (open) photo. Is it?
Yeah, I cut most of it off using a Dremel. If it's left the original length there's very little room for any "extra" exhaust to get out.
And I'd like to thank "offroadfx4" for hacking off the end of his muffler so I could see exactly what's going on behind that end plate. His photos gave me the nerve to start drilling on mine. :beerchug:
So, all you did was cut that rectangular hole and then cut the exhaust tip shorter to get that sound?
I might have to try that! It looks like the tube is cut down on the inside on that last (open) photo. Is it?
Yeah, I cut most of it off using a Dremel. If it's left the original length there's very little room for any "extra" exhaust to get out.
And I'd like to thank "offroadfx4" for hacking off the end of his muffler so I could see exactly what's going on behind that end plate. His photos gave me the nerve to start drilling on mine. :beerchug:
So, all you did was cut that rectangular hole and then cut the exhaust tip shorter to get that sound?
Yep, that's all I did. That rectangular hole started out as a bunch of holes drilled under the exhaust outlet and that didn't give me the sound I was looking for so I connected the holes and that's what I ended up with.
 
treytexag_imp said:
mininsx_imp said:
WOW - that sounds REAL good. I won't be modding mine, I'm a much more "incognito" rider, but it does sound most excellent IMHO.
WOW - that sounds REAL good. I won't be modding mine, I'm a much more "incognito" rider, but it does sound most excellent IMHO.
Seriously? No offense intended, but compared to a staintune or the factory can it sounds really raw or crude, quite out of character with the CB IMHO.
 
Novice_imp said:
treytexag_imp said:
mininsx_imp said:
WOW - that sounds REAL good. I won't be modding mine, I'm a much more "incognito" rider, but it does sound most excellent IMHO.
WOW - that sounds REAL good. I won't be modding mine, I'm a much more "incognito" rider, but it does sound most excellent IMHO.
Seriously? No offense intended, but compared to a staintune or the factory can it sounds really raw or crude, quite out of character with the CB IMHO.
WOW - that sounds REAL good. I won't be modding mine, I'm a much more "incognito" rider, but it does sound most excellent IMHO.
Seriously? No offense intended, but compared to a staintune or the factory can it sounds really raw or crude, quite out of character with the CB IMHO.
"To each his own." The stock exhaust is too quiet IMO, and this cost nothing except for a little work, whereas the cheapest Arrow slip-on I could find (forget the price of a Staintune) was over $500.00. Besides, if I decide it's too loud I can always cover that hole and it'll be back like it was.
 
You're absolutely right, it's yours and you can do as you see fit. In the spirit of this thread, the stock muffler cost close to $700 and I found a Yoshimura slip on from Revzilla for $323 and they include free shipping. Unless the stock unit could be easily tuned, I don't think I would destroy it. Although the Yosh can doesn't duplicate the look, it would be louder and, to me, it doesn't look too bad. Plus you would still have the factory can to return the bike to stock if needed.
 
Novice_imp said:
treytexag_imp said:
mininsx_imp said:
WOW - that sounds REAL good. I won't be modding mine, I'm a much more "incognito" rider, but it does sound most excellent IMHO.
WOW - that sounds REAL good. I won't be modding mine, I'm a much more "incognito" rider, but it does sound most excellent IMHO.
Seriously? No offense intended, but compared to a staintune or the factory can it sounds really raw or crude, quite out of character with the CB IMHO.
WOW - that sounds REAL good. I won't be modding mine, I'm a much more "incognito" rider, but it does sound most excellent IMHO.
Seriously? No offense intended, but compared to a staintune or the factory can it sounds really raw or crude, quite out of character with the CB IMHO.
Novice - truly. No kidding - thought it sounded really good, considering it did not cost a penny, and of course for someone looking for more "attitude" . . .


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
treytexag_imp said:
Novice_imp said:
treytexag_imp said:
mininsx_imp said:
WOW - that sounds REAL good. I won't be modding mine, I'm a much more "incognito" rider, but it does sound most excellent IMHO.
WOW - that sounds REAL good. I won't be modding mine, I'm a much more "incognito" rider, but it does sound most excellent IMHO.
Seriously? No offense intended, but compared to a staintune or the factory can it sounds really raw or crude, quite out of character with the CB IMHO.
WOW - that sounds REAL good. I won't be modding mine, I'm a much more "incognito" rider, but it does sound most excellent IMHO.
Seriously? No offense intended, but compared to a staintune or the factory can it sounds really raw or crude, quite out of character with the CB IMHO.
Novice - truly. No kidding - thought it sounded really good, considering it did not cost a penny, and of course for someone looking for more "attitude" . . .


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WOW - that sounds REAL good. I won't be modding mine, I'm a much more "incognito" rider, but it does sound most excellent IMHO.
Seriously? No offense intended, but compared to a staintune or the factory can it sounds really raw or crude, quite out of character with the CB IMHO.
Novice - truly. No kidding - thought it sounded really good, considering it did not cost a penny, and of course for someone looking for more "attitude" . . .


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Again, no offense intended. My opinion is just different. If you liked it, your opinion is just as valid as mine.
 
Thread starter
Hopefully, I'll see some staintune and arrow at the rally and we can compare to see if modifying the factory is worth it or not. Should be interesting. I'm approaching it with an open mind.
 
Randy B_imp said:
9c801a017808eb5a5442f695ba942d0d.jpg


d3f09bb4a1e1122e3552650abb2f58e2.jpg
As I pondered this mod, listened to the clip, read comments as to sounding a bit crude, it made me wonder what the sound would be like if the stock pipe, running up to the end cap exit, was NOT cut off short?

Consider that with the pipe cut short, and the hole cut out of the end plate, the two different exhaust paths are doing battle with each other trying to get out the hole in the end cap. The mixed sonic waves bouncing around the various angles inside the cavity between the plate and end cap, may be where some of Japanese tuner car, fart can exhaust, rasp is coming from.

If the standard exhaust path was left intact, all the way out the end cap hole, and the slight amount of bypass exhaust were allowed to exit through the gap around it, I can't help but wonder how it would sound?

So, for the next guy to go down this path, try it and let us know!
 
Thread starter
Except for the looks.............. I'm really pretty happy with the pretty deep sound with the end plate totally removed and the standard exhaust path eliminated.

I also wondered about the physics of that large "megaphone" type shaped factory muffler and how that effected the sound waves.

Is it like the sound of a musical instrument. I'm not a musician or a physicist but it seems the larger the flared end the deeper the sound....from bugle to trombone to tuba...??
 
The idea (for me) was to make it louder and cutting off the exit tube and making it shorter allows for the extra exhaust to go somewhere instead of being trapped by the end cap cover. Since I did this I haven't touched it, the loudness is just where I want it and the best part is it was free! :celebrate:
 
Do you have a video so we can hear it?

gbpack89_imp said:
I followed much the same pattern as most of you. I cut and drilled the muffler until I finally got fed up and fired the bike up with it removed. It sounds great with just the cat. So then I bent up some exhaust pipe, only took two bends, and ceramic coated it.

9b524a23f6e22fbde2965c2000377aa6.jpg


467d4200a9414df14f8d7a1f3f33b894.jpg
 
mininsx_imp said:
The idea (for me) was to make it louder and cutting off the exit tube and making it shorter allows for the extra exhaust to go somewhere instead of being trapped by the end cap cover. Since I did this I haven't touched it, the loudness is just where I want it and the best part is it was free! :celebrate:
How well does your video sample capture the true sound?

I know that microphones, on smartphones, sometimes don't do justice to deep bass tones. I recently did a video of one of my bikes using my phone, and then later my wife's. Both sounded completely different, with only one close to reality, and neither spot on.
 
Kind of like listening to your own voice on a recording... " I don't sound like that, do I" ?
 
DGShannon_imp said:
mininsx_imp said:
The idea (for me) was to make it louder and cutting off the exit tube and making it shorter allows for the extra exhaust to go somewhere instead of being trapped by the end cap cover. Since I did this I haven't touched it, the loudness is just where I want it and the best part is it was free! :celebrate:
How well does your video sample capture the true sound?

I know that microphones, on smartphones, sometimes don't do justice to deep bass tones. I recently did a video of one of my bikes using my phone, and then later my wife's. Both sounded completely different, with only one close to reality, and neither spot on.
How well does your video sample capture the true sound?

I know that microphones, on smartphones, sometimes don't do justice to deep bass tones. I recently did a video of one of my bikes using my phone, and then later my wife's. Both sounded completely different, with only one close to reality, and neither spot on.
I recorded that with a JVC Adixxion "action cam." The mike is tiny and doesn't capture the low tones that are there, and I probably got a little too close to the exhaust. I've thought about mounting it on the back of the bike somewhere and taking a ride to better represent what it sounds like. It's louder than stock, obviously but it's no where near as loud as my Concours 14 with a Two Brothers slip-on.
 
Kung Fu Joe_imp said:
Do you have a video so we can hear it?

gbpack89_imp said:
I followed much the same pattern as most of you. I cut and drilled the muffler until I finally got fed up and fired the bike up with it removed. It sounds great with just the cat. So then I bent up some exhaust pipe, only took two bends, and ceramic coated it.

9b524a23f6e22fbde2965c2000377aa6.jpg


467d4200a9414df14f8d7a1f3f33b894.jpg
I can make one. But ifyyou just unbolt the factory muffler and run it it sounds very similar to that. Only complaint is the decel poping is very noticeable

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top