If Au is not prone to oxidation, I have a conundrum that you chemistry experts may be able to explain. My wife has been visiting her Mom for days at a time due to her slowly declining condition, and loads up her car on each return trip to slowly work down the mass of stuff that will eventually have to be dealt with. We sort, and either donate or recycle what she brings home.
Last night, poking through a box of small objects, we came across a gold-ish ring. It had sharp edges, too sharp I thought to be a piece of jewelry. I figured maybe it was a plumbing compression ring. It was oxidized, and my wife asked if I could shine it up. I hit it with a bit of Blue Magic that I use on my CB's header pipes. It shined up a bit, and I gave it back to her. My poor eyes could see a small inscription inside the ring, and she read "14K".
Would 14K gold oxidize?