Great Day to Ride? Seat Mods

Whippa_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Today was the 4th time I've emailed Spencer for seat mods at gratedaytoride.com since Dec 16. I called and left a voicemail today also. It appears he's still in business. His site is up, his phone refers to seat mods, but he sure ain't following up with me. Either my emails are going to spam, or just being ignored.

1. Have any of you used him lately?

2. Do you know of another trusted seat fabricator?

3. What's the consensus on the most comfortable aftermarket seat for black 14 standard?

:thanks:
 
My complaints on my 2014 standard (and on my 2013) were the seat was too low, which caused my knees/hips to bend a little more than was comfortable. The front portion of the seat was also too narrow, causing a lack of support (spreading the load).

So, like on my Bonneville, I had my local upholstery shop add about an inch more foam in the rider's area, and to pad the sides to make it just a little wider. I was able to sit on the seat before he put it back together.

I had him remove the original cover and add a bit more material along the front edges so he could have more area to staple. I wanted to use the stock cover to retain the Honda logo. Total cost about $80 as I remember. and it took 2 days.

Noticeably more comfortable, especially in the hips and knee bends.

Also, I would say that if your upholstery guy is so hard to get a hold of, I'd stay clear, because he likely will be harder to get a hold of when he has your seat and your money.
 
I had the same height problem as Pekingduck but I opted for the K&H Hi seat from samurider. Made it much more comfortable with a more classic look but was much more expensive than $80.
 
I've read about issues with communications with Frank on several forums. Last time I contacted him about a year ago, he got right back to me. Haven't tried lately. Either he is busier than a one legged paper hanger or he's losing a love of the work.
 
The seat on my '13 CB is a tad too narrow and too low in the front, but not enough to initiate remedial measures. The seat on the '05 H-D Sportster I had was too thin and narrow, so I had a local auto upholstery guy modify it. Big improvement.
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys. I'm going to have to do something. Sometimes I get numbness/soreness in 20mins. Some times it's a good bit longer. But it happens about every ride.
 
Whippa_imp said:
Thanks guys. I'm going to have to do something. Sometimes I get numbness/soreness in 20mins. Some times it's a good bit longer. But it happens about every ride.
That could be caused by other issues. Do some stretching and flexing before you ride to get the blood moving. After a ride, I use a powerful electric massager to pummel myself where and if it hurt or tingled that day. Yoga will also help keep the NOS body flexible.
 
The corbin seat available for our bike has changed my life. My endurance and riding enjoyment has been restored.

I have no interest in the company, but other than not offering a back rest, this seat has been the answer for me.
 
Whippa you can try a search on this forum and put "corbin" in the search panel.

The consensus is high for good success but it does not suit everyone, quite a few have their seat modified as well including me and i have explained why but afterwards i am very happy with is and have done 10hour days with it with good results as opposed to two hours on the standard seat, there are many seat options available, this is just one of them.
 
in my experience unless you have long arms if you get a Corbin you may also need bar risers as the Corbin sits you back further and tilts your pelvis so that you need to sit more upright.

Corbin users..is this your experience too?
 
Absolutely right Ferret, that is one of the modifications i have done to mine, i did not want to elaborate too much and overwhelm him with info.
But my video lists the problems i personally found and how i changed the seat, in short the seating position with respect to the low standard 2013 seat is higher and further back, fine for riding 100km/h and relieving pressure on your arms but uncomfortable at slow speeds, it also depends on the length of the ride, i have the standard seat on for short rides and like it better for the position and control in town.
 
Thread starter
I have read a good bit on here sbout seats. My plan was to send to Spencer w/a luimoto seat cover and let him do his thing. I just hate to take a chance on a $600 corbin or k&H and it not work for me. Aint like you can sell em. I remember several months ago someone had an all red corbin for sale on here for $200 I think. I might should have gotten it and recovered. I'll chrck w/the 2 upholstery shops I know of around here. Thanks fellas
 
I did order the taller Corbin seat and I did put 2 inch riser on my handle bars. I like sitting in a little more relaxed rearward position so I also installed some raked handlebars. All in all I can sit on the bike much longer. I am 6'2" and do not like hunching over for long rides.

Think I did not pay more than $400 or so for my seat. Very good customer service.
 
Thread starter
geosar_imp said:
I did order the taller Corbin seat and I did put 2 inch riser on my handle bars. I like sitting in a little more relaxed rearward position so I also installed some raked handlebars. All in all I can sit on the bike much longer. I am 6'2" and do not like hunching over for long rides.

Think I did not pay more than $400 or so for my seat. Very good customer service.
What risers did you choose? Thats coming for me, and crashbars w/pegs or frame mounted pegs.

No issue with length of cables?
 
Back
Top