Got my shoelace caught on the feeler peg

buckwheat_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Here is a 1st for me: I got my left shoelace loop caught under the foot peg on the feeler peg when taking off from a stop at a red light. Luckily I was taking it easy with both acceleration and bringing my foot up. I gassed it hard in 1st gear to keep up with traffic and gently let my foot down and it came off. Accident avoided. Anyone else have this happen to them? I'm still keeping them on; I like the idea of a warning before the foot peg hits the pavement.
 
Wow... I try to only ride with my Alpinestar boots.. no laces .. but it has been a concern when I have my work boots on. I will be taking My feelers off they scrape... glad you escaped the road gremlins...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
I know that several of us have had this happen. It has sparked more than one debate about whether laced boots are appropriate motorcycling wear. I would say this...I have caught my laces on the peg once and just yesterday I actually managed to snag the top of my zip up half-boot on the peg feeler. My conclusion: you can catch almost any part of your gear on almost any part of your bike so do what you can to mitigate that and just be prepared if something happens.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
I know that several of us have had this happen. It has sparked more than one debate about whether laced boots are appropriate motorcycling wear. I would say this...I have caught my laces on the peg once and just yesterday I actually managed to snag the top of my zip up half-boot on the peg feeler. My conclusion: you can catch almost any part of your gear on almost any part of your bike so do what you can to mitigate that and just be prepared if something happens.
Years ago I got my shoelace caught on a narrow chain link fence gate while leaving work late at night....my RD 400 pinned me for a half hour before a coworker lifted it off of me.....that was 1984 and I've NEVER rode with laces again....
 
Yep...that can happen. If it happens to me, I'll probably stop wearing laced boots from then on, too. Until then, not too worried about it.
 
When I was a kid, I had a shoelace wrap itself around the shaft of a bicycle pedal between the pedal and the crank as I rode. Didn't work out so well for me as I went to stop but my foot was now firmly secured to the bike. Down I went.
 
try not to ride with laces, but it happens. haven't gotten them caught on the feeler pegs yet, but have caught them on both gear shift lever and rear brake lever.
 
Surprised that no one has mentioned that to minimize the shoelaces getting caught is to simply tuck the loops down inside the boot alongside the tongue of boot... rarely, the loop might creep back out when(if) laces are not tied tight enough... so... after riding for some time... at rest/break...simply do a quick-check to see if lace-loops are still tucked securely alongside boot's tongue... works for me...
 
i have done this many times and that is why i wear flip flops now :thumbsup:
seriously i never wear boots and double tie the loops in my tennis shoes to make them so short it never happens anymore.
 
Saturday 17th of June 17

I apply a drop of Dactyl Inc superior hubris grade lubricant to my four aglets on the winter solstice, just before 2:30 pm on Wednesday.

Regards and enjoy your Summer.
 
Jeez guys, it's common sense to not wear shoelaces on a machine with moving parts. Only wear boots that have just Velcro straps or Velcro straps that then go over any laces.

I learned respect for engines and machinery way back in my pre-teens when a business acquaintance of my father (my father ran an automotive machine shop) called someone else over for a second opinion on a noise a car engine was making. The guy was wearing a tie and when he leaned over the open engine compartment, a belt or the fan grabbed it and strangled him to death.
 
Wearing shoes with laces can definitely be a hazard. If nothing else, in most cases, shoes with laces won't keep your feet dry when riding in wet conditions.

A bigger head-scratcher for me, however, are the "get back whips" that are becoming common on cruisers (mostly on Harleys). Their intended function evades me and they look like an accident begging to happen. Not sure I'd ever want a 4' length of braided leather dangling off MY throttle!
 
On my Street Triple I stood up to stretch my legs and when sitting back down, the high top sneaker type Alpinestars boots I was wearing slipped under the foot guards just above the pegs between my ankle and the shoes. Didn't notice it until I ALMOST fell over at a stoplight but managed to get the right foot dislodged in a panic. It was close.
I wear shoes with laces still but carefully wrap them around the Velcro strap to keep them tucked away to avoid that.
 
That's funny LongRanger, most of the ones I see are on the left side(clutch) and the almost touch the ground.
Side note, I use to live In Zebulon, NC. I move about 2 years ago.
 
LongRanger_imp said:
Wearing shoes with laces can definitely be a hazard. If nothing else, in most cases, shoes with laces won't keep your feet dry when riding in wet conditions.

A bigger head-scratcher for me, however, are the "get back whips" that are becoming common on cruisers (mostly on Harleys). Their intended function evades me and they look like an accident begging to happen. Not sure I'd ever want a 4' length of braided leather dangling off MY throttle!
I had to google this as I had never heard of or seen this before. Weird. Apparently they are mostly decoration, a way to display club affiliation, but are considered deadly weapons in a couple of states and can get you arrested.
 
Correction: They're attached to the brake lever, not the throttle. Shows how much I know. Still, get that thing caught under your floorboard in a tight lean and it'll yank your handlebars so fast you won't know what hit you (besides the pavement). Whatever.
 
The ferret_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
Wearing shoes with laces can definitely be a hazard. If nothing else, in most cases, shoes with laces won't keep your feet dry when riding in wet conditions.

A bigger head-scratcher for me, however, are the "get back whips" that are becoming common on cruisers (mostly on Harleys). Their intended function evades me and they look like an accident begging to happen. Not sure I'd ever want a 4' length of braided leather dangling off MY throttle!
I had to google this as I had never heard of or seen this before. Weird. Apparently they are mostly decoration, a way to display club affiliation, but are considered deadly weapons in a couple of states and can get you arrested.
I had to google this as I had never heard of or seen this before. Weird. Apparently they are mostly decoration, a way to display club affiliation, but are considered deadly weapons in a couple of states and can get you arrested.
Hey...saw one of these on today's ride, only it was hanging on the riders clutch lever. I come up to a 4 way stop. Directly across from me is a dude and chick on a Harley. He's bald, black leather vest, goatee (not stereotypical at all lol) and hanging from his clutch lever is this long braided line almost all the way to the ground. Had my camera around my neck too but didn't think about a pic until he was past me. Thought about turning around and running him down for one, but not sure how he would take that. If he has one, he's probably not too friendly :huh: . Funny how we were just talking about these, this morning and BAM..there one is.
 
Back
Top