Good Times Demo Tour (Plano, Texas)

I like those Demo Tours. They are perfect for trying out interesting and fascinating newer models. This way, in previous years, I have sampled several Hondas, Kawas, KTMs and Yamahas. Best part is always the ride home, on one of my own trusty steeds, realising that I like it best, despite (or because of) their age and lack of gadgets. I think it has only been once (after riding the Yamaha Niken of all bikes!) that I thought: "Wow...I want to own one of these...". Maybe, one day.

All these demo tours were cancelled in my area this year due to Covid. Perhaps next year better luck.
 
You say you're not buying now, but then again you haven't ridden it yet lol
 
Thread starter
Nice weather and pretty well organized. Had trouble getting the breathalyzer to read for me, but I guess that's just my Irish DNA putting up a resistance. :sleepy:

6b137f210bdd16de40ef88c07ef8ade1.jpg


First demo: W800. Of course coming off the CB1100 I hit the 7000 rpm rev limiter. :D So light! And felt squishy.

38849031dd90e3f45d0109186fe96507.jpg


My next demo in a couple of hours will be the 900RS ... which I lusted after while shopping for a motorcycle in 2018, but a used CB was half the price ... with cheaper insurance and cheaper gas grade.

ab6eed4f88fe39ce45b1344125787c2d.jpg


So far my only incident was curbing the rim on my Camry in the small parking lot.

3b3b65d87082fde415a3ae4a80753ad4.jpg


It's kind of like riding in a funeral parade (oh, I hope NOT! :s), with a "cop" in front and in the rear.

54b65585098784db778b4f3940e01af8.jpg

Oh, and they also started dealing in Vespas (another memory). No demo rides though.

84049f5b8a703de03080930e10b9fb57.jpg


edbacade1c6bcdd9c866bbd750414ee0.jpg
 
That Z900RS sure looks very pretty. Curious to know what you think of it after your test-ride. Like you the Z900RS was on my list when I started shopping for a new bike last year and like you I ended up with the CB1100 (and never regretted it).
 
They made you blow on a breathalyzer? That's wild. Is it because you are in Texas?
 
Thread starter
bioman_imp said:
That Z900RS sure looks very pretty. Curious to know what you think of it after your test-ride. Like you the Z900RS was on my list when I started shopping for a new bike last year and like you I ended up with the CB1100 (and never regretted it).
So how does that pirate joke go? "Bring me my brown pants!" :s

5eaaa6678f30694dc713e72185c6bbdb.jpg


The Z900RS is that pretty, sweet girl in the white-and-pink sundress with ribbons and teddy bears that you always wanted to go out with ... then she finally says YES ... you pick her up at her parent's house, meet her nice mom and dad from a '50s TV sitcom ... walk her to your car, open the door for her ... and by the time you've walked to the other side and sat down in the driver's seat, she's already chopped up two lines on your dashboard and has the rolled-up dollar bill up her nose ...

I've read reviews about the snappy throttle ... yeah, it looks retro but a high-performance 900cc highly strung engine. I was moving the throttle in tiny millimeters and being extra careful applying it around corners.

What I liked about the CB was that it was that sweet pretty girl below 5000 rpm, just gentle as a kitten. If you get the urge to party, just rev it past that and watch the world gray out. :D

But being a tall bloke, the 900RS does fit me better. Which is why I bought the Samurider tall seat for my CB ... really helped a lot. Also the 900RS is lighter and easier to muscle around in a parking lot with the engine off without tipping past the point of no return.

So, did my two demo rides ... got my free cans of Monster ... and went home and did a bicycle ride. Back to my cage ... :P

Oh, and ALL the motorcycle "clubs" showed up ...

07faf119329eb6c436ecf5df1687eb8d.jpg

The ferret_imp said:
They made you blow on a breathalyzer? That's wild. Is it because you are in Texas?
Maybe because they're used to dealing with Japanese salarymen in their home country? :beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug::beerchug:

Also, see photo just above ...
 
zbillster_imp said:
Nice weather and pretty well organized. Had trouble getting the breathalyzer to read for me, but I guess that's just my Irish DNA putting up a resistance. :sleepy:

6b137f210bdd16de40ef88c07ef8ade1.jpg


First demo: W800. Of course coming off the CB1100 I hit the 7000 rpm rev limiter. :D So light! And felt squishy.

38849031dd90e3f45d0109186fe96507.jpg


My next demo in a couple of hours will be the 900RS ... which I lusted after while shopping for a motorcycle in 2018, but a used CB was half the price ... with cheaper insurance and cheaper gas grade.

ab6eed4f88fe39ce45b1344125787c2d.jpg


So far my only incident was curbing the rim on my Camry in the small parking lot.

3b3b65d87082fde415a3ae4a80753ad4.jpg


It's kind of like riding in a funeral parade (oh, I hope NOT! :s), with a "cop" in front and in the rear.

54b65585098784db778b4f3940e01af8.jpg

Oh, and they also started dealing in Vespas (another memory). No demo rides though.

84049f5b8a703de03080930e10b9fb57.jpg


edbacade1c6bcdd9c866bbd750414ee0.jpg
:rofl:

The W800 looks nice.
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
zbillster_imp said:
Nice weather and pretty well organized. Had trouble getting the breathalyzer to read for me, but I guess that's just my Irish DNA putting up a resistance. :sleepy:

6b137f210bdd16de40ef88c07ef8ade1.jpg


First demo: W800. Of course coming off the CB1100 I hit the 7000 rpm rev limiter. :D So light! And felt squishy.

38849031dd90e3f45d0109186fe96507.jpg


My next demo in a couple of hours will be the 900RS ... which I lusted after while shopping for a motorcycle in 2018, but a used CB was half the price ... with cheaper insurance and cheaper gas grade.

ab6eed4f88fe39ce45b1344125787c2d.jpg


So far my only incident was curbing the rim on my Camry in the small parking lot.

3b3b65d87082fde415a3ae4a80753ad4.jpg


It's kind of like riding in a funeral parade (oh, I hope NOT! :s), with a "cop" in front and in the rear.

54b65585098784db778b4f3940e01af8.jpg

Oh, and they also started dealing in Vespas (another memory). No demo rides though.

84049f5b8a703de03080930e10b9fb57.jpg


edbacade1c6bcdd9c866bbd750414ee0.jpg
:rofl:

The W800 looks nice.
:rofl:

The W800 looks nice.
I remember wanting one of these back in the early 2000s but they were R-A-R-E in the USA, and fetched a premium used. The graphics on the tank are cheesy up close.

My favorite motorcycle commentator, Marlon, did a hilarious video overview. Check out his other videos as well.


 
zbillster_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
zbillster_imp said:
Nice weather and pretty well organized. Had trouble getting the breathalyzer to read for me, but I guess that's just my Irish DNA putting up a resistance. :sleepy:

6b137f210bdd16de40ef88c07ef8ade1.jpg


First demo: W800. Of course coming off the CB1100 I hit the 7000 rpm rev limiter. :D So light! And felt squishy.

38849031dd90e3f45d0109186fe96507.jpg


My next demo in a couple of hours will be the 900RS ... which I lusted after while shopping for a motorcycle in 2018, but a used CB was half the price ... with cheaper insurance and cheaper gas grade.

ab6eed4f88fe39ce45b1344125787c2d.jpg


So far my only incident was curbing the rim on my Camry in the small parking lot.

3b3b65d87082fde415a3ae4a80753ad4.jpg


It's kind of like riding in a funeral parade (oh, I hope NOT! :s), with a "cop" in front and in the rear.

54b65585098784db778b4f3940e01af8.jpg

Oh, and they also started dealing in Vespas (another memory). No demo rides though.

84049f5b8a703de03080930e10b9fb57.jpg


edbacade1c6bcdd9c866bbd750414ee0.jpg
:rofl:

The W800 looks nice.
:rofl:

The W800 looks nice.
I remember wanting one of these back in the early 2000s but they were R-A-R-E in the USA, and fetched a premium used. The graphics on the tank are cheesy up close.

My favorite motorcycle commentator, Marlon, did a hilarious video overview. Check out his other videos as well.


That was hilarious. Thanks Bill.
 
That was one of the funniest and best reviews I have seen in a long time! :)


(and the W800's air filter replacement system is a 100 times easier than our CB1100's horrible surgical procedure! Wow.)
 
bioman_imp said:
That was one of the funniest and best reviews I have seen in a long time! :)


(and the W800's air filter replacement system is a 100 times easier than our CB1100's horrible surgical procedure! Wow.)
(+1)

You have no idea. :dodgy: Try replacing air filters (x2) on the Africa Twin.

To add insult, they are very expensive.

So maybe the W800 is 1000 times easier than the Honda CRF1x00.
 
There was really a Royal Enfield Hand Grenade? Who in the world thought that was a good name for a motorcycle? Lll
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
bioman_imp said:
That was one of the funniest and best reviews I have seen in a long time! :)


(and the W800's air filter replacement system is a 100 times easier than our CB1100's horrible surgical procedure! Wow.)
(+1)

You have no idea. :dodgy: Try replacing air filters (x2) on the Africa Twin.

To add insult, they are very expensive.

So maybe the W800 is 1000 times easier than the Honda CRF1x00.
Be sure and watch his Peak Hipster video series where he works on a W650. Funny stuff ... along with more technical tidbits.


 
zbillster_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
bioman_imp said:
That was one of the funniest and best reviews I have seen in a long time! :)


(and the W800's air filter replacement system is a 100 times easier than our CB1100's horrible surgical procedure! Wow.)
(+1)

You have no idea. :dodgy: Try replacing air filters (x2) on the Africa Twin.

To add insult, they are very expensive.

So maybe the W800 is 1000 times easier than the Honda CRF1x00.
Be sure and watch his Peak Hipster video series where he works on a W650. Funny stuff ... along with more technical tidbits.


Be sure and watch his Peak Hipster video series where he works on a W650. Funny stuff ... along with more technical tidbits.



Heh, heh, ... can't wait to view this.
 
Thread starter
Alain Lee_imp said:
zbillster_imp said:
Well ... I've still got some riding gear gathering dust in the closet ... always wanted to demo a Z900RS.

Please please PLEASE let there be NO postal carriers along my route. :angel:

And, NO, I'm not buying ... just a little taste ...

It's going to be 74F (24C) and sunny. :thumbsup:

Kawasaki Good Times Demo Tour Plano Texas

Hey Zb, just being curious, How far (in miles) are you away from the new Toyota Head Office in Plano?

12 miles via the tollway. They're near Nebraska Furniture Mart. :rolleyes: I was contacted a while back about doing some freelance work for them but schedules didn't jive. Have a friend that works there.
 
Back
Top