Good Memories

Guth_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
I was placing the registration tag on the plate of my CB1100 today and looking over the dates on the registration paperwork I was reminded that I've now owned my CB for eight years. That's right, eight years ago today I picked it up from the dealership and headed off for home in rush hour traffic, in the middle of a downpour. I was drenched when I stopped back in at my workplace before I could continue on home, but I didn't really notice. My buddy Tommy, the security guard at the time at my workplace was the first person I knew to lay eyes on the bike (other than my wife, who drove me out to the dealership to pick up the bike — it was nice outside when we first arrived at the dealer). I got it all cleaned up as soon as I got it home and decided that despite the weather, it was still a great day. I have never been so excited by a purchase before or since — I almost got sick sitting in the office at the dealership filling out the paperwork.

Back when these bikes were new here in the States, people especially liked to compare notes about what kind of price they got. I paid $9,999 out the door and personally, I was just fine with paying MSRP because I imagined that I'd be hanging on to the bike for a long time. Thee would be no motorcycle merry-go-round for me. Continuing to divide the initial cost by each subsequent year that I've owned the bike, the price paid is looking better and better all the time. Honda (or any other manufacturer for that matter) has yet to manufacture a motorcycle that I'd personally rather have than this one. I have a hard time imagining that ever changing.

Here's my CB, as it appeared after I got it home and cleaned it up, parked in my garage for the very first time...

d3b5d762cff467df16de9c638e79c607.jpg
 
Good memories indeed, and on the 13th of this month, 8 days after picking up your CB, you started this fine forum.
 
A wonderful family you started Guth. We are grateful. I am grateful.

On the topic of CB1100 good memories, here be my maiden voyage right after New Year's Day 2015 at the dealership. Not the damp rain you put up with, but a steady wind and air temperature of -10C (14F) ...

 
I can agree. The CB1100's a keeper. It does just about anything you need it to do. Even dirt and trail if you slap on the knobbies. It can also go pretty darn fast with just a retune. Touring? Bags and a windshield. Boom. Quintessential UJM. Nothing perfect but it'll do it all.
 
Thanks Guth!

My 2014 CB and all the wonderful help from this forum helped me revive my love of riding motorcycles!

This forum, with a shout out to ferret, helped me go places and do things (like overnight road trips on a motorcycle) that I never dreamed of doing 7 years ago.
 
The day I brought it home

6551e9bdba8c1f1dc79d1399b20d2443.jpg


How it looks today

905be545e9f9d780ce9fd511ca764dce.jpg
 
I don't have any shots of the day I picked up my CB, but it's identical to the pic that Goldoxide posted.
It wasn't raining, but the streets were wet from a shower and I took the long way home grinning all the way.
That was seven years ago come this Friday and I'm still grinning :D
I became a forum member right away and have enjoyed, appreciated and learned a lot the past seven years from a great group of CB owners.
 
Well done, Guth. You've not only bought a motorcycle you love, you've created a global community. Not a bad achievement.
 
I lost all the pictures of my 13 CB 1100 for the most part (lost 25 years of pics in a hard drive crash) but here's one of me bringing home my 14 dlx. No rain lol

9d091077ec4e42af6b48cedb4f8cf3c2.jpg


I do have this Dragon photo from a trip down there in May 2013

24511b80fa3cb1da93620ffd99c4a018.jpg


and a similar Dragon photo of my 14

d97fb9a441cf3c12d19fc49f37c74bbd.jpg
 
Guth, my first ride mirrors yours. Picked it up in the rain an hour and a half away, rode home in a steady downpour, but stopped in at work to show it to a few people before finishing the ride home.

Of all the pics in this thread, this is my favorite...

9737793e345b4daffd4adc8a46a1f9af.jpg


Look how happy mickey is there.
 
Thread starter
I'm not sure that I've seen a photo of Mickey involved with motorcycles where he didn't look happy, lol.

Mickey, I'm sorry to learn about. your hard drive crash. That stinks.
 
VLJ_imp said:
Guth, my first ride mirrors yours. Picked it up in the rain an hour and a half away, rode home in a steady downpour, but stopped in at work to show it to a few people before finishing the ride home.

Of all the pics in this thread, this is my favorite...

9737793e345b4daffd4adc8a46a1f9af.jpg


Look how happy mickey is there.
Mickey: You look like you "have to go". :)
 
43bc229a3f58a6c24a0a2f0f7adc6299.jpg


You can even see the RLET!

Well picked, VLJ.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
VLJ_imp said:
Guth, my first ride mirrors yours. Picked it up in the rain an hour and a half away, rode home in a steady downpour, but stopped in at work to show it to a few people before finishing the ride home.

Of all the pics in this thread, this is my favorite...

9737793e345b4daffd4adc8a46a1f9af.jpg


Look how happy mickey is there.
Mickey: You look like you "have to go". :)
Mickey: You look like you "have to go". :)
Well yea, have to go for a ride! ;)

Last time the bike was that clean. :rofl:
 
Like Guth I took delivery about this time of month in ‘13. I had put a deposit down in March on a cold rainy Friday, but let it sit at the dealer until the weather cleared up as we were having bad weather at the time.

I too paid list price minus the $200 Honda incentive and was happy to do so. Finally a motorcycle that looked like a motorcycle! When I walked in the salesman took me right over to it and said here is your bike! 10 minutes later it was my bike.

They only had one (and only ever sold 2) and I MAY have bought the first one in the area. Can’t be sure as I didn’t go around and survey the other dealers :)

AND to make it better, was one of the first 3 or 5 members to join here! Plus I have the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring!! Awarded by Guth! And just to make that better, PB wants it bad :D
 
Thread starter
I don't have any photos of me riding the bike that day. But when I went to pick it up, my sales guy convinced me to let him take a photograph of me and the CB before I rode away. Looking things over, I'm thinking that maybe I'll get around to changing my avatar one of these days, lol.

ce46c56d0138b657a05f1ac2b6d3de3b.jpg
 
Guth, did they show you how to open the seat? My salesman couldn’t figure it out and had to get a mechanic to show us. Ahh, good times.
 
b17d4f335cd93d3a1dd5c6576a4fb5ce.jpg


I can't seem to get the imgur embed link to work any more....anyone see what wrong with the above code?

I posted the link, but can't get the picture embedded....don't want to upload files and burden Guth's server.

Btw....the picture is me on the Dragon in 2014...before the header turned colors.

Notice me, no real boots, no MC pants, no MC jacket, no Gloves....what a newbie I was lol
 
Back
Top