Good guys ride CB1100

Zip code is about 17 miles off, best it can do is show that I'm in Phoenix. Hardly an address.
 
The type of plug-in I've been looking for would work locally within the forum software interface and would be of the interactive type. It would allow members (those who wish to do so anyway) to plot their location on a global map. No location information would be automatically posted in such a situation. Sadly, it might be a while before I find such a solution.

In the meantime, I suppose we can all focus on less risky endeavors — like riding motorcycles?
 
Thread starter
Rboe. I have not seen a single cb1100 on the road in Mississippi at all. When I stop to get gas, banks etc everyone looks at my bike. Some has said you did a great job restoring that that old Honda :)
 
Red Mist_imp said:
Ridem32_imp said:
Well I don't have Facebook. And don't plan on getting it. My wife. & kids have it lol. But I live just like I did in the 70, s I don't care if people know where I live what difference does it make ?? Even with out space age computers if I wanted to find someone I would find them. Simple as that. I don't live in fear of the internet of people knowing where I live. :) heck come on by for a visit :) I had rather keep on living as I do with a handshake and a mans word is better than gold! That's just me. I really don't think no crazy person will come to get me just because they know where I live due to being on a forum. As Paul Harvey would say
GOOD DAY ! :)
Michael
That's romantic and a great point of view, but as a guy who starting developing web content nearly 20 years ago, I have a different perspective.

Yep, back in our day, people had their addresses in the phone book. However, the phone book was not available to 1 billion people. Those not in your immediate community did not know of you and had no reason to look you up.

The world has changed and we have to change with it or be exposed to a lot more risk. That's the reality. And I am not talking about TV, since I stopped watching it about 15 years ago. Just look up "Heartbleed" or "Target breach" for starters.

These days, in the age of the WWW/Internet, not only can we look up things all over the world, we can connect with millions of people in the click of a mouse. And those millions of people can connect with us.

Not all of those millions are going to abide by a handshake and a square deal, nor will they embrace the four freedoms. In the 70's, 60's, 50's, and so on, our individual world comprised just ourselves, our families, and at most a few dozen folks who knew us well. Take our neighbors and coworkers and add them up, we don't have a large number. Maybe, for someone very popular, we might regularly come into personal contact with a few dozen people. Of those few dozen, no one can tell me that every single one is going to be trustworthy. Every person has a coyote or two in their back yard, and usually a family member or two with whom they don't see eye to eye (otherwise why do we hear so much of Thanksgiving rancor?). School and work rivalries, workplace intrigues, the list goes on and on.

Now multiply those odds across the web. Every time we post something, there will always be someone that disagrees, somewhere. Flame wars have erupted across the "Interwebs" over the most trivial sorts of things. If we take the exponential nature of the web, we've taken those few dozen folks that used to make up our personal community, and turned them into tens of thousands. The odds of one or more of those having less than noble intentions increases.

Any number of garage break-ins and thefts of personal items, particularly bicycles, for example, have been traced to the use of online social networking sites. Members posted GPS tracks of rides they had taken, which included their start/end point. Often that was their home address! Yes, they did it without thinking, and a rash of thefts resulted.

The world doesn't operate on a handshake any longer, it operates on "Privacy Policies" of several thousand words, crafted by litigators who have their client's interests in mind, not ours.
I suppose with the wrath and venom I've attracted for sharing my unpopular (with a minority) point of view, I can expect a horde of vengeful assailants turning up at my gaff anytime soon! See illustration below (pinched from World War Z)

429dafabc78465ca62dee3d9bbc41269.gif

Red Mist_imp said:
Ridem32_imp said:
Yea red mist I do know what your saying but to me we still human! My son is way high in the computer world working at the Mississippi Supreme Court on computers etc. As far me I still live the same. Me. & wife live alone with lots of land ! We don't even own a house key! I will by no means change my way of life due to computer age. I do like eBay and my bike forums but as far as everyday life I'm still me. My son my daughter and all their friends get a kick out of me. Most saying dang you got it made and live life so simple while everyone else is all caught up in the new age. It's all good I do like my new age 2014 CB1100 red deluxe :) But I will still trade a chicken, or goat etc for whatever lol. Life's as good as you make it :). I'm like you as far as bikes. & not watching TV. When wife not home I never turn TV on. To many remotes lol. To be honest nothing good to watch. Again I say great great forum! :)
Michael
From my point of view, therein lies the problem. We're all human. We're only human. Not necessarily humane.

Trust but verify.
From my point of view, therein lies the problem. We're all human. We're only human. Not necessarily humane.

Trust but verify.

I am with Red Mist on this issue of PerSec. Keep the information you leak to a minimum. Ferret knows my first name, and I.P. as will Guth have access to that.

I don't think either of these are a threat to me.

However, I would not take a picture of my bike outside my house for example and post it, nor as one guy did show his commute to work including addresses, for which Red Mist intervened and pointed out the implications.

I am VERY security conscious, partly because of my job all those years ago and partly because I've seen the world change and people have less regard for others privacy or property.

When I was in Italy this week, my bike was locked with several high security bike locks, in an alarmed garage, in a house with enormous security locks on all doors, and CCTV recording day and night (with infra red).

O.k I'm probably a little paranoid, but I like it that way.

I also have breakdown cover for that very occasion, and wouldn't offer a bed to some dude I'd met on a forum if he was passing through. Just the way I am I guess.

And if you couldn't already tell, I don't want to be on the map either.
 
For some of us raised in little rural Mayberry's in the US, all this security stuff is just hard to fathom. I understand completely where Ridem is coming from. I just started locking my doors and stuff a couple years ago at the urging of my brother who is a security nut. He can't believe I don't want to carry a gun everywhere I go.

Maybe if I lived in an urban environment, downtown Cinti for example I would have a different attitude. Out where I live it just doesn't seem so necessary. I would hate living in fear all the time.
 
The ferret_imp said:
For some of us raised in little rural Mayberry's in the US, all this security stuff is just hard to fathom. I understand completely where Ridem is coming from. I just started locking my doors and stuff a couple years ago at the urging of my brother who is a security nut. He can't believe I don't want to carry a gun everywhere I go.

Maybe if I lived in an urban environment, downtown Cinti for example I would have a different attitude. Out where I live it just doesn't seem so necessary. I would hate living in fear all the time.
Maybe I'm too much like your brother Ferret, but I'd say if I didn't have all the security measures then I would be living in fear. I guess it's horses for courses.
 
I understand where you are coming from as well Tortuga
 
Tortuga_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
For some of us raised in little rural Mayberry's in the US, all this security stuff is just hard to fathom. I understand completely where Ridem is coming from. I just started locking my doors and stuff a couple years ago at the urging of my brother who is a security nut. He can't believe I don't want to carry a gun everywhere I go.

Maybe if I lived in an urban environment, downtown Cinti for example I would have a different attitude. Out where I live it just doesn't seem so necessary. I would hate living in fear all the time.
Maybe I'm too much like your brother Ferret, but I'd say if I didn't have all the security measures then I would be living in fear. I guess it's horses for courses.
Do you carry a gun everywhere you go? Such a thing would be unthinkable for most people in Australia.

Go Ferret!
 
You all are overthinking this. All you need is a rough idea of a person's location, voluntarily submitted, along with some means of contacting that person (which is already available here through the messaging feature). If this info was plotted on a clickable map by state, province, or other larger geographic region, that would be convenient, but a thread broken down by country, then region (state, etc.) with the user's name would provide all the info we are requesting without disclosing anyone's exact location.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
For some of us raised in little rural Mayberry's in the US, all this security stuff is just hard to fathom. I understand completely where Ridem is coming from. I just started locking my doors and stuff a couple years ago at the urging of my brother who is a security nut. He can't believe I don't want to carry a gun everywhere I go.

Maybe if I lived in an urban environment, downtown Cinti for example I would have a different attitude. Out where I live it just doesn't seem so necessary. I would hate living in fear all the time.
Maybe I'm too much like your brother Ferret, but I'd say if I didn't have all the security measures then I would be living in fear. I guess it's horses for courses.
Do you carry a gun everywhere you go? Such a thing would be unthinkable for most people in Australia.

Go Ferret!
Do you carry a gun everywhere you go? Such a thing would be unthinkable for most people in Australia.

Go Ferret!
Where I live, despite the low crime rate, most everyone carries including me. My wife used her carry pistol to kill a rabid dog that attacked her while taking her morning walk years ago. I can easily understand those that would find this situation strange or even frightening but it is a deeply embedded part of the culture here and looked upon as quite normal. Despite so many walking about armed or maybe because, violent crime is a rarity.
 
Ridem32_imp said:
Would just like to say I joined this forum about a week before I got my new. & my first CB1100 I got the deluxe model. I have meet a lot of nice guys on here! :) to be honest I love to ride, I have rode bikes over 40 years! To me forums are to help each other out, tell each other what we do to our bikes, what we add to them, where we find our parts and such at the best deals and tell each other about our mods :) I get on this forum everyday to enjoy , learn and to help others out! I think we all have fun on here I know I do! Most of us are over age. 50 some younger some in their 20,s so let's all get alone with each other and have fun and keep this forum the best forum of all times! We can cut up, crack jokes and all help each other out! I'm not picking out anyone at all we are all equal and we all grown men with the best bike in the world CB1100 :) I get home from a ride I get on here to check and see what all went on for the day. At our age we have rode many many miles! So let's keep this forum going for as many miles as we have all rode combined! That would be a lot of miles from all of us ole geezers lol. I hope every single member keeps on posting and most of all if someone needs help let's all pitch in! We all to old to fuss and throw fits! :) let's set a new record in the weeks to come for the most online at one time! I shake hands with each and every single member on here :) I hope each and everyone feels the same way !
Signed: short bus rider, slew footed
Michael :)
Michael, thanks for the intro! You found me on my eBay listing and although I've not gotten any takers, I'm considering just storing it for the future. I'm very excited about the post-break in period as I'm taking it easy at below 3000 RPMs and below 75MPH. I short shift often to stop, and it's still a lot of fun but I can't wait to really ride her naturally. You're absolutely right, the CB1100 is definitely a "gentleman's" bike. I got the Standard only because I couldn't get on a red bike. I hate red. But I would gladly have paid the DELUXE price for the dual exhaust, larger gas tank, and deluxe seat. <Sigh>

Anyway, just a bit about myself: I'm 33, a native NewYorker, live and work in Manhattan, and this is my second bike. My first is a 1978 CB750K, all black. It's being stored at a friend's garage right now, and she's still a solid bike but once I laid my eyes on the CB1100, I just could not walk away without getting her.

Safe riding man, and maybe one day I'll see you on the road. To everyone else, have a safe ride as well and have fun!
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Tortuga_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
For some of us raised in little rural Mayberry's in the US, all this security stuff is just hard to fathom. I understand completely where Ridem is coming from. I just started locking my doors and stuff a couple years ago at the urging of my brother who is a security nut. He can't believe I don't want to carry a gun everywhere I go.

Maybe if I lived in an urban environment, downtown Cinti for example I would have a different attitude. Out where I live it just doesn't seem so necessary. I would hate living in fear all the time.
Maybe I'm too much like your brother Ferret, but I'd say if I didn't have all the security measures then I would be living in fear. I guess it's horses for courses.
Do you carry a gun everywhere you go? Such a thing would be unthinkable for most people in Australia.

Go Ferret!
Do you carry a gun everywhere you go? Such a thing would be unthinkable for most people in Australia.

Go Ferret!
No, where did I mention guns? :huh:
Riverhustler_imp said:
Ridem32_imp said:
Would just like to say I joined this forum about a week before I got my new. & my first CB1100 I got the deluxe model. I have meet a lot of nice guys on here! :) to be honest I love to ride, I have rode bikes over 40 years! To me forums are to help each other out, tell each other what we do to our bikes, what we add to them, where we find our parts and such at the best deals and tell each other about our mods :) I get on this forum everyday to enjoy , learn and to help others out! I think we all have fun on here I know I do! Most of us are over age. 50 some younger some in their 20,s so let's all get alone with each other and have fun and keep this forum the best forum of all times! We can cut up, crack jokes and all help each other out! I'm not picking out anyone at all we are all equal and we all grown men with the best bike in the world CB1100 :) I get home from a ride I get on here to check and see what all went on for the day. At our age we have rode many many miles! So let's keep this forum going for as many miles as we have all rode combined! That would be a lot of miles from all of us ole geezers lol. I hope every single member keeps on posting and most of all if someone needs help let's all pitch in! We all to old to fuss and throw fits! :) let's set a new record in the weeks to come for the most online at one time! I shake hands with each and every single member on here :) I hope each and everyone feels the same way !
Signed: short bus rider, slew footed
Michael :)
Michael, thanks for the intro! You found me on my eBay listing and although I've not gotten any takers, I'm considering just storing it for the future. I'm very excited about the post-break in period as I'm taking it easy at below 3000 RPMs and below 75MPH. I short shift often to stop, and it's still a lot of fun but I can't wait to really ride her naturally. You're absolutely right, the CB1100 is definitely a "gentleman's" bike. I got the Standard only because I couldn't get on a red bike. I hate red. But I would gladly have paid the DELUXE price for the dual exhaust, larger gas tank, and deluxe seat. <Sigh>

Anyway, just a bit about myself: I'm 33, a native NewYorker, live and work in Manhattan, and this is my second bike. My first is a 1978 CB750K, all black. It's being stored at a friend's garage right now, and she's still a solid bike but once I laid my eyes on the CB1100, I just could not walk away without getting her.

Safe riding man, and maybe one day I'll see you on the road. To everyone else, have a safe ride as well and have fun!
Oh the irony, in light of how this thread changed... :)
 
Thread starter
Riverhustler. Good to hear from you. I was on ebay last nite saw a cb1100 seat for sale sent the ebayer a email and told him to join cb1100 forum. Ands it's riverhuslter :). I never meet a stranger. My point exactly :). Let's ride!!!
Michael
 
Ridem32_imp said:
Riverhustler. Good to hear from you. I was on ebay last nite saw a cb1100 seat for sale sent the ebayer a email and told him to join cb1100 forum. Ands it's riverhuslter :). I never meet a stranger. My point exactly :). Let's ride!!!
Michael

Your free rubber lever muffs are on their way.
 
Talk about a thread that's done a complete 180.

I can understand how some might feel a bit paranoid in today's world. I do find it rather ironic that those same personalities could then proceed to hop on a motorcycle and subject themselves to far more danger than anything else being discussed in this thread.

Not that this will put anyone's mind at ease, but I can tell you that I have no real intent to learn anything more about any of you other than what you care to share here. While I do pay attention to the amount of traffic this site receives, I don't pay attention to IP addresses, with the exception of spam. As an individual, I do like to know (in general terms) where people live for the sake of the discussion, but I'm not forcing anyone to share even that much. Others on the internet obviously might have different intentions than me. I'd rather just talk about random stuff like the CB1100 and motorcycling in general.
 
Thread starter
Good point red mist. But all the pics I share on here are from my smart phone so anyone can find me :) I myself don't live in fear that someone knows where I live. If someone by chance wants to find you to cause you harm trust me anyone can be found without the internet! But again I'm just a ole southern boy who don't give a flip or a rip if people know where I live! I love to meet people from all over! I have sold many bikes, boats , cars etc on eBay etc and have met a lot of nice people. That's what's wrong with this world now people not trusting each other and so on! Like I said before I still live by a handshake and a mans word! That's how it should be and that's how I live my life. Pretty sad when kids can't pray in school like we all did! But as far me. I'm still the same ole guy from Mississippi ! To me it's not foolish for people to know where I live. What's foolish is someone coming to MY HOUSE AND TRYING TO CAUSE HARM but what you said is all true my son knows all about what you just said he is the top IT guy at the Mississippi Supreme Court. Mississippi has the right to carry guns in the open! You can walk around with a pistol and hoister just like in the ole days. But the real kicker is all states have the open gun law! It's called the rights to bare arms! That trumps all laws! Here in the USA we need to get back to the basic life of love and trust. :) I have only been on this forum a couple of months and I have met lots of good guys on here. Talked to a few on the phone and plan on meeting lots for riding buddy's :) live life. Not fear.
 
Back
Top