Good guys ride CB1100

There's been discussion of a members' map I'm the past and I know Guth has investigated it. Can't be that simple or I'm sure we'd have on by now.
 
Hey Guys,

I've been looking into map options for some time now. So far, no luck in finding something interactive that works with the forum software I'm using. I haven't given up, just no luck so far (there were some options in the past, but they no longer work and are without support).

At any rate, a lot of good sentiments on this thread. Until I can get some kind of map up an running, maybe for those who wish to make themselves available to other members who might be passing through their part of the world, we could create a new user title designating them as such. Others could then reach out to them via PM if they wanted to make contact?
 
Thread starter
Guth are you a computer guy? I'm not but my son is! He might can help you with the member map thingie. Should be away that when you click on a members name to check out there profile and if the member allows his location you could click on a icon dropping a pin to his area! I don't know nuttin about software but I know it can be done. But like you said your system might not be set up to do as such but it might could be added. Just a thought. If a member don't want no one to know where they live they can leave that part of their profile blank
Michael
 
Ridem32_imp said:
Guth are you a computer guy? I'm not but my son is! He might can help you with the member map thingie. Should be away that when you click on a members name to check out there profile and if the member allows his location you could click on a icon dropping a pin to his area! I don't know nuttin about software but I know it can be done. But like you said your system might not be set up to do as such but it might could be added. Just a thought. If a member don't want no one to know where they live they can leave that part of their profile blank
Michael
Yes and no. While my day job is web-related, I'm not a web developer. Much of what I'm involved with in keeping this place up and running is new to me. There are web developers out there that contribute their efforts in support of the forum software I'm using, but any and all efforts in support of a member map as you're thinking of have seemingly come to a halt. This probably wouldn't be a problem with other forum software options out there, but I'm not looking to change out the forum software anytime soon.
 
When I discussed this with my computer programmer son recently, he told me there would be a plugin to the BB software that would do this and then immediately found it. I mentioned it to Guth who told me it no longer works and is not supported, so it's no use to us.

I'm catching up with him again over the weekend and will ask him just how hard it might be to develop something.

It's important to remember that Guth has a day job and this is very much a labour (labor) of love so we can't impose too much on his kindness.

Cheers
 
Google Maps has interactive tools now that can help with this; probably the cleanest and easiest of the solutions out there. I use it in a similar way to map out employee coverage areas to see who will be treating new (homebound) patients.
 
Ridem32_imp said:
Guth are you a computer guy? I'm not but my son is! He might can help you with the member map thingie. Should be away that when you click on a members name to check out there profile and if the member allows his location you could click on a icon dropping a pin to his area! I don't know nuttin about software but I know it can be done. But like you said your system might not be set up to do as such but it might could be added. Just a thought. If a member don't want no one to know where they live they can leave that part of their profile blank
Michael
Forums start making your location public? Anyone really know how that works? You don't have to provide that information, it comes with your IP address when you log in, and can be drilled down right to your living room by further getting your modem's MAC address. Your site administrator has access to your IP address and already knows what city you live in.

If I need roadside assistance, I will call AAA. We have Facebook for everything else.
 
I have yet to see where geographical information has been associated with MAC addresses and IP addresses are typically no better than regional (in my early days with COX my location was tagged as Atlanta because that is where the COX office was that leased that block of IP addresses so you can see there can be problems there too). I'm afraid TV is a bit ahead of reality in this case.
 
Rboe_imp said:
I have yet to see where geographical information has been associated with MAC addresses and IP addresses are typically no better than regional (in my early days with COX my location was tagged as Atlanta because that is where the COX office was that leased that block of IP addresses so you can see there can be problems there too). I'm afraid TV is a bit ahead of reality in this case.
OK. Put the following into the address bar:

IP2Location

Your IP address will be displayed along with geographical and other data. Anyone can do this. See how close it is to your actual location.

Your MAC address, since no one has explained it yet, is the identifying number on your cable modem. It is unique, like a fingerprint. If your modem is located in your home (which is usually the case), that MAC number is going to provide that information. You cannot get the MAC number or other specific information without a warrant, but the IP address is available to the administrator of any website you visit.

Your computer connects to your Internet provide through a server, and that server provides the IP address to any other server or host that requests or provides content.

With an IP address, a username, and a hacker (or warrant) one can identify the exact computer logged into the system and its exact location.

These marketing tools being discussed already exist and to a very high level of intrusion into personal privacy.

I have yet to see anyone create a website who fails to use every marketing tool available at some point.
 
Thread starter
Well I don't have Facebook. And don't plan on getting it. My wife. & kids have it lol. But I live just like I did in the 70, s I don't care if people know where I live what difference does it make ?? Even with out space age computers if I wanted to find someone I would find them. Simple as that. I don't live in fear of the internet of people knowing where I live. :) heck come on by for a visit :) I had rather keep on living as I do with a handshake and a mans word is better than gold! That's just me. I really don't think no crazy person will come to get me just because they know where I live due to being on a forum. As Paul Harvey would say
GOOD DAY ! :)
Michael
 
Ridem32_imp said:
Well I don't have Facebook. And don't plan on getting it. My wife. & kids have it lol. But I live just like I did in the 70, s I don't care if people know where I live what difference does it make ?? Even with out space age computers if I wanted to find someone I would find them. Simple as that. I don't live in fear of the internet of people knowing where I live. :) heck come on by for a visit :) I had rather keep on living as I do with a handshake and a mans word is better than gold! That's just me. I really don't think no crazy person will come to get me just because they know where I live due to being on a forum. As Paul Harvey would say
GOOD DAY ! :)
Michael
That's romantic and a great point of view, but as a guy who starting developing web content nearly 20 years ago, I have a different perspective.

Yep, back in our day, people had their addresses in the phone book. However, the phone book was not available to 1 billion people. Those not in your immediate community did not know of you and had no reason to look you up.

The world has changed and we have to change with it or be exposed to a lot more risk. That's the reality. And I am not talking about TV, since I stopped watching it about 15 years ago. Just look up "Heartbleed" or "Target breach" for starters.

These days, in the age of the WWW/Internet, not only can we look up things all over the world, we can connect with millions of people in the click of a mouse. And those millions of people can connect with us.

Not all of those millions are going to abide by a handshake and a square deal, nor will they embrace the four freedoms. In the 70's, 60's, 50's, and so on, our individual world comprised just ourselves, our families, and at most a few dozen folks who knew us well. Take our neighbors and coworkers and add them up, we don't have a large number. Maybe, for someone very popular, we might regularly come into personal contact with a few dozen people. Of those few dozen, no one can tell me that every single one is going to be trustworthy. Every person has a coyote or two in their back yard, and usually a family member or two with whom they don't see eye to eye (otherwise why do we hear so much of Thanksgiving rancor?). School and work rivalries, workplace intrigues, the list goes on and on.

Now multiply those odds across the web. Every time we post something, there will always be someone that disagrees, somewhere. Flame wars have erupted across the "Interwebs" over the most trivial sorts of things. If we take the exponential nature of the web, we've taken those few dozen folks that used to make up our personal community, and turned them into tens of thousands. The odds of one or more of those having less than noble intentions increases.

Any number of garage break-ins and thefts of personal items, particularly bicycles, for example, have been traced to the use of online social networking sites. Members posted GPS tracks of rides they had taken, which included their start/end point. Often that was their home address! Yes, they did it without thinking, and a rash of thefts resulted.

The world doesn't operate on a handshake any longer, it operates on "Privacy Policies" of several thousand words, crafted by litigators who have their client's interests in mind, not ours.
 
Thread starter
Yea red mist I do know what your saying but to me we still human! My son is way high in the computer world working at the Mississippi Supreme Court on computers etc. As far me I still live the same. Me. & wife live alone with lots of land ! We don't even own a house key! I will by no means change my way of life due to computer age. I do like eBay and my bike forums but as far as everyday life I'm still me. My son my daughter and all their friends get a kick out of me. Most saying dang you got it made and live life so simple while everyone else is all caught up in the new age. It's all good I do like my new age 2014 CB1100 red deluxe :) But I will still trade a chicken, or goat etc for whatever lol. Life's as good as you make it :). I'm like you as far as bikes. & not watching TV. When wife not home I never turn TV on. To many remotes lol. To be honest nothing good to watch. Again I say great great forum! :)
Michael
 
Ridem32_imp said:
Yea red mist I do know what your saying but to me we still human! My son is way high in the computer world working at the Mississippi Supreme Court on computers etc. As far me I still live the same. Me. & wife live alone with lots of land ! We don't even own a house key! I will by no means change my way of life due to computer age. I do like eBay and my bike forums but as far as everyday life I'm still me. My son my daughter and all their friends get a kick out of me. Most saying dang you got it made and live life so simple while everyone else is all caught up in the new age. It's all good I do like my new age 2014 CB1100 red deluxe :) But I will still trade a chicken, or goat etc for whatever lol. Life's as good as you make it :). I'm like you as far as bikes. & not watching TV. When wife not home I never turn TV on. To many remotes lol. To be honest nothing good to watch. Again I say great great forum! :)
Michael
From my point of view, therein lies the problem. We're all human. We're only human. Not necessarily humane.

Trust but verify.
 
Thread starter
It's just my nature to trust people ! So far in life I have been successful and met a lot of good people in my life :) now back to the good ole honda cb1100. I need more farkles lol
 
All I'm trying to do is say I'm not for any kind of program or option to show location. In point of fact if such a thing does show up on this or any other forum of which I am a contributor, I'll ask to have my account deleted and certainly cease contributions.

If I wanted to share personal information I'd do it via Facebook, Twitter, a personal website, or some other such method. As I don't have any social networking accounts, none, zero, zip, nada, clearly I have no interest in sharing other than what I choose to post anonymously in a forum.
 
Red Mist_imp said:
All I'm trying to do is say I'm not for any kind of program or option to show location. In point of fact if such a thing does show up on this or any other forum of which I am a contributor, I'll ask to have my account deleted and certainly cease contributions.

If I wanted to share personal information I'd do it via Facebook, Twitter, a personal website, or some other such method. As I don't have any social networking accounts, none, zero, zip, nada, clearly I have no interest in sharing other than what I choose to post anonymously in a forum.
This is a perfectly reasonable proposition. Disclosure of personal information ought to be a matter of choice for forum members. For example, a number of the people who have provided their VIN for the registry have also disclosed their names. They are not included in the published registry, although anyone curious enough could track back through the posts and find them.

The UK CB1100 forum has a members map, but displaying your location on it is entirely optional. Were such a feature to be offered here, it should be on the same terms so that people like Red Mist can elect not to participate. Nor should people be able to figure it from his user information so he can continue to enjoy the tranquility of Bear Creek.
 
Red Mist_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
I have yet to see where geographical information has been associated with MAC addresses and IP addresses are typically no better than regional (in my early days with COX my location was tagged as Atlanta because that is where the COX office was that leased that block of IP addresses so you can see there can be problems there too). I'm afraid TV is a bit ahead of reality in this case.
OK. Put the following into the address bar:

IP2Location

Your IP address will be displayed along with geographical and other data. Anyone can do this. See how close it is to your actual location.

Your MAC address, since no one has explained it yet, is the identifying number on your cable modem. It is unique, like a fingerprint. If your modem is located in your home (which is usually the case), that MAC number is going to provide that information. You cannot get the MAC number or other specific information without a warrant, but the IP address is available to the administrator of any website you visit.

Your computer connects to your Internet provide through a server, and that server provides the IP address to any other server or host that requests or provides content.

With an IP address, a username, and a hacker (or warrant) one can identify the exact computer logged into the system and its exact location.

These marketing tools being discussed already exist and to a very high level of intrusion into personal privacy.

I have yet to see anyone create a website who fails to use every marketing tool available at some point.
It depends on the network you're using. Right now, when I'm at work, my IP shows up as being from San Francisco (which is where my company is headquartered). When I'm at home, Cox assigns IP addresses that resolve to the correct general region, but vary as to the town/city. I rarely get a Phoenix IP address (where I actually live), but often get IP addresses that are listed as small towns 20 or 30 miles away.

I can always tell when websites are using the info for marketing when I get ads that tell me about things in these small nearby towns. Apparently, there are lots of single women in Goodyear, AZ who want to meet me :D
 
Thread starter
Lol flynrider
My IP jumps from country to country hmmm it can be fooled. But I don't know how but my son does lol. Just ask me for my home adress if you want to stop by for a motorcycle ride I will give it to ya. Let's ride these cb1100,s :)
 
Back
Top