Good deal on a CB

EGAlvarez_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
It's bad timing for me so I will pass the find to you all. There is a mint condition CB1100 with 3,000 miles on it for sale at Speeds Cycle in Elkridge, MD for $6599.
 
EGAlvarez_imp said:
It's bad timing for me so I will pass the find to you all. There is a mint condition CB1100 with 3,000 miles on it for sale at Speeds Cycle in Elkridge, MD for $6599.
Jeez, that's cheap. I really don't understand how these bikes have dropped in value so much. Not that I'm selling, but you can't get more bike for the money than that.
 
Capo_imp said:
EGAlvarez_imp said:
It's bad timing for me so I will pass the find to you all. There is a mint condition CB1100 with 3,000 miles on it for sale at Speeds Cycle in Elkridge, MD for $6599.
Jeez, that's cheap. I really don't understand how these bikes have dropped in value so much. Not that I'm selling, but you can't get more bike for the money than that.
Part of it could be attributed to the release of the 2014 Deluxe. People want the latest & greatest and that means last years model doesn't sell so well anymore.
 
I got more than that for mine trading it in.
 
The ferret_imp said:
I got more than that for mine trading it in.
Ferret
You were very lucky with that trade. You did it just in time.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The ferret_imp said:
I got more than that for mine trading it in.
I don't think its as much a deal as just fair market. I paid 7k for mine a month ago with 140miles on odo and I think I got an ok deal. Good for me and seller but not GREAT. Just a fair price.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
There are a number of dealers that have the original 3 in the crate that they ordered at the beginning of 2013. A friend of mine was offered a brand new 13 for $9500 OTD without even asking or haggling in the Chicagoland area.
 
Lackskill
That is the reality. Buyers pride is over rated. I think some owners take it personally. We bought a depreciating RARE NOT MAINSTREAM bike.
Already started off with a lack of customer base. So our risk is even higher. Is what it is. Ive never had an ego about this kind of stuff.
It's funny and reminds me of my Gun Enthusiast friends. Mysteriously they all sell their gins and don't lose a dime.... Also mysteriously they never sell to a friend and always have no back up of this info.
Guys just hate feeling like Mayberry one got over on them even a little.
We guys really protect our pride/ego.
Real men don't give a hooooot


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Romo1969_imp said:
Lackskill
That is the reality. Buyers pride is over rated. I think some owners take it personally. We bought a depreciating RARE NOT MAINSTREAM bike.
Already started off with a lack of customer base. So our risk is even higher. Is what it is. Ive never had an ego about this kind of stuff.
It's funny and reminds me of my Gun Enthusiast friends. Mysteriously they all sell their gins and don't lose a dime.... Also mysteriously they never sell to a friend and always have no back up of this info.
Guys just hate feeling like Mayberry one got over on them even a little.
We guys really protect our pride/ego.
Real men don't give a hooooot


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've been a part of enough firearm transactions to know that you certainly can buy and sell regularly and almost never lose money. Guns don't depreciate like most other consumer goods.
 
Romo1969_imp said:
Lackskill
That is the reality. Buyers pride is over rated. I think some owners take it personally. We bought a depreciating RARE NOT MAINSTREAM bike.
Already started off with a lack of customer base. So our risk is even higher. Is what it is. Ive never had an ego about this kind of stuff.
It's funny and reminds me of my Gun Enthusiast friends. Mysteriously they all sell their gins and don't lose a dime.... Also mysteriously they never sell to a friend and always have no back up of this info.
Guys just hate feeling like Mayberry one got over on them even a little.
We guys really protect our pride/ego.
Real men don't give a hooooot


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I absolutely agree. This bike is not even "rare". It's very easily replaceable. I bought it 'cause I felt it would be right for my purposes. For the first few months I wasn't too sure if I'd even keep it, but now, it's really grown on me. However, it seems it has not "grown" on a lot of guys who bought one, given the low resale and plethora of used low-mile bikes available. I don't care, as I'm hanging on to mine and plan on riding the snot out of it.

You mentioned guns, guitars are the same way. Fender, Gibson, etc. issue these "Custom Shop" guitars for outrageous prices and people snap them up on credit and think they have something special that will appreciate in value. Not even. First off, "Custom Shop" guitars are almost always junk and don't play nearly as well as an off-the-rack axe for a third the price. Even with expert setup the CS stuff is just for show, it doesn't play well. Second, the thing is worth half what you paid as soon as you take it home.

One thing about the CB1100, it is a truly GOOD motorcycle anyway you slice the styling. That's where the value is.

Me, I won't put a red cent into any modifications beyond perhaps a pair of shocks and a seat. I've already lost enough $$$!
 
lackskill_imp said:
Romo1969_imp said:
Lackskill
That is the reality. Buyers pride is over rated. I think some owners take it personally. We bought a depreciating RARE NOT MAINSTREAM bike.
Already started off with a lack of customer base. So our risk is even higher. Is what it is. Ive never had an ego about this kind of stuff.
It's funny and reminds me of my Gun Enthusiast friends. Mysteriously they all sell their gins and don't lose a dime.... Also mysteriously they never sell to a friend and always have no back up of this info.
Guys just hate feeling like Mayberry one got over on them even a little.
We guys really protect our pride/ego.
Real men don't give a hooooot


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've been a part of enough firearm transactions to know that you certainly can buy and sell regularly and almost never lose money. Guns don't depreciate like most other consumer goods.
I've been a part of enough firearm transactions to know that you certainly can buy and sell regularly and almost never lose money. Guns don't depreciate like most other consumer goods.
Key word. Almost.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
lackskill_imp said:
Romo1969_imp said:
Lackskill
That is the reality. Buyers pride is over rated. I think some owners take it personally. We bought a depreciating RARE NOT MAINSTREAM bike.
Already started off with a lack of customer base. So our risk is even higher. Is what it is. Ive never had an ego about this kind of stuff.
It's funny and reminds me of my Gun Enthusiast friends. Mysteriously they all sell their gins and don't lose a dime.... Also mysteriously they never sell to a friend and always have no back up of this info.
Guys just hate feeling like Mayberry one got over on them even a little.
We guys really protect our pride/ego.
Real men don't give a hooooot


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've been a part of enough firearm transactions to know that you certainly can buy and sell regularly and almost never lose money. Guns don't depreciate like most other consumer goods.
I've been a part of enough firearm transactions to know that you certainly can buy and sell regularly and almost never lose money. Guns don't depreciate like most other consumer goods.
Key word almost.
I also have "almost never lost "too much" money'
But you get my general drift.
Buy right. Sell right.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
You guys "sell" used guns?:huh:
I still own the Ruger .22 semi I bought from the Sears & Roebuck Christmas catalog in 1967.
The mailman delivered it.:cool:
 
Don't fool yourself, I very seriously doubt that there are more than a handful, if that many, of bikes, cars, etc., that were not worth less used than new. As soon as you drive away on your shiny new bike or in a new car, you lose a ton of money. Why was the CB1100 supposed to be different? I have several friends that bought Harleys because of the resale value, the Rushmores were released, and their hogs lost about 25% of their value overnight. I'm going to ride my cb1100, smiling, until one of us wears out.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
 
davidsargee_imp said:
Don't fool yourself, I very seriously doubt that there are more than a handful, if that many, of bikes, cars, etc., that were not worth less used than new. As soon as you drive away on your shiny new bike or in a new car, you lose a ton of money. Why was the CB1100 supposed to be different? I have several friends that bought Harleys because of the resale value, the Rushmores were released, and their hogs lost about 25% of their value overnight. I'm going to ride my cb1100, smiling, until one of us wears out.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
Exactly on all accounts.
The Harley myth of value lives on. If I buy a comparable bike like a thunderbird as example. If you buy a harley and pay a 20-25% more. Then we both sell. You get 20% more than I do after a few years.
Do the math. You likely paid more per year to own that hd than I did owning something more unique.
Add expensive harley accessories and now I really financially kicked your tail.
It's a myth not supported by actual math data.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Identifying something new a 'collectable' almost guarantees it won't be. Most bikes now considered 'collectible' we're regular production machines, often rode hard and never thought of as something to save. Thus they are scarce. Alternately, many failures in the market, discounted and discontinued (Honda GB500, Ducati Sport Classics) become collectables as they are also scarce, and reconsidered later as classics. The CB11 may become collectable, but only of Honda pulls the plug on it and doesn't follow it up, IMHO. And not likely to increase in value for a decade or two. Conversely, it's a lot of bike at current second hand prices and likely to retain decent value .
 
Capo_imp said:
Identifying something new a 'collectable' almost guarantees it won't be. Most bikes now considered 'collectible' we're regular production machines, often rode hard and never thought of as something to save. Thus they are scarce. Alternately, many failures in the market, discounted and discontinued (Honda GB500, Ducati Sport Classics) become collectables as they are also scarce, and reconsidered later as classics. The CB11 may become collectable, but only of Honda pulls the plug on it and doesn't follow it up, IMHO. And not likely to increase in value for a decade or two. Conversely, it's a lot of bike at current second hand prices and likely to retain decent value .
Agree. So must do as I did. Buy a used cb and ride the heck out of it. I got mine for 7k w 150 miles on it. At this investment I feel my money is protected and safe. At least for a while.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Im not saying ALL CB 1100s will be viewed as collectibles, I'm saying of the new variations of CB 1100s the US version of the 2013 will be the most collectible because it will be the ONLY one with the 5 speed trans, that shade of candy red paint, and those instruments. The market was not flooded with them, it was in reality a pretty small seller for Honda, so it will have some rarity attached to it. Of the ones sold, some will be left stock, some will be modified into cafe racers or whatever, some will die lonely deaths sitting outside and rusting away and some will undoubtedly be crashed. In 25 years a bone stock, low mileage, good condition 2013 red non abs CB 1100 will indeed be quite a find...and hence collectible...and overseas the first year edition 2010s will be collectible, as they were first year editions.
 
I agree with you Ferret, no guarantees of course, but the U.S. version non-ABS ' 13 Standard will be different from all of the others. Maybe someday, we'll see. In the meantime, I intend to take advantage of the legendary Honda reliability by attempting to ride the wheels off of mine.
 
Back
Top