Gone.? RLETs are suspects.

GoldOxide_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
It is with deep regret that my CB1100 is gone.  It managed to leave the coral along with the NC750X.  I don't blame them.  The winter season can be harsh to bear without the convenience of electricity, heat and running water.

- - -

The reality is I couldn't store three animals safely without proper shelter.  Also, the CB was no longer enough and this was realized after some learnings from the respected CB1100 Forum that the NC750X was a decent commuter.  It didn't take long to determine that I could ride the NC all day.

So what happened?

To start, the CB1100 is a glorious bike.  Everything known has been said multiple times from multiple sources in the Forum, including myself.  They are obvious and I won't rehash them.  However for me, comfort was limited as I needed room to stretch out.  I realized contrast immediately with the NC as it is a longer, higher ride, and more upright and compatible for my body frame.  To be clear:  I can ride a sport bike for maybe 20 minutes max.  And sadly, I have also come to realize that the Monkey and I will likely never partner.

I was fine using the CB for short hour-at-a-time runs, but for me as a long distance daily commuter, the NC excelled.  The CB was more agile, but needed practically daily refueling.  I am going to miss everything about the CB.  I paid for long journeys on the CB and especially when they terminated in regional Toronto traffic congestion; my body just did not like it.  This is not really about the CB, but me and street standards in general.  I have the same or worse issues with other similar bikes.  The Triumph T100/120 are examples.  The Kawasaki Z900S is higher, but a bit more scrunched like a sport bike and that does not help.  However, the Versys 650 fits me well, but the engine needs wringing where as the CB1100 did not.

Secondary benefits of the NC was I could ride it in any weather condition sans snow/ice and not worry about chrome and general corrosion.  It played the beater role very well.  Although I like the appearance of shine on a bike, I'd rather not deal with salt damage and the likes on the CB.  I grow bored quite quickly with that type of maintenance.  I did consider letting the CB go to pot, but allowing that might be a weakness in my heart.  I also didn't want to risk a "garage queen", especially since there was no garage.  The CB was never a queen, but I feared it would become one.

The mistake I made with the NC750X began when I started flirting with the ugly Africa Twin (AT).  When I mean ugly, I mean in comparison to the CB1100 and even the NC.  CB beauty is difficult to top.  In any case, the AT grew quickly on me and its larger fit is awesome.  Then I realized the AT is a beautiful animal, and the least ugly of available ADV offerings.  For me, the comfort, handling, economy, maintenance, and surprising available power of the AT is above expectations.  Of course, it can be taken off road too.  Essentially, this is my first ADV bike and it is very exciting.

- - -

Honda makes really superb models.  I feel the said bikes are no exception, as intended for their target markets.  I know I will regret letting the CB get away.  I also feel with history and aesthetics aside, for me the AT is more than the sum of the CB and NC.

Will I become some sort of adventure jock?  Unlikely.  I just like to ride.  I will no longer be randomly praised for the "great CB restoration" I did, but I have enough to remember for the rest of my life.

GO
 
Congrats on the new ride GO. Hope you get plenty of pleasurable miles on it. Hardly fair to blame Rlets because you are lanky

We are going to miss you around here. You were quite active and ran up quite the post count in a very short time. I assume you are headed to an Africa Twin forum?

It's funny my son's FIL who rides an ST1300 was thinking about an Africa twin (He's also lanky) but ended up settling for an NC750X. Picks it up next week I think.
 
I am sorry to see you let go of the CB 1100 but understand your dilemma. I like to thank you for all the great contributions you gave to the Forum. Please keep in touch !
 
I respect you decision. If something is no longer comfortable or satisfies, then you make a change when and if it's possible.
I'm short so the CB fits me well and I can ride it all day.
Enjoy the new ride :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Thank you everyone, sincerely.

Yeah, the decision was hard, but function won over fashion in the end - as it applies to me. We only have so many riding years left.

RE RLETs: I was just kidding. No blame. The RLET jesting is healthy and fun. I would say it adds to the Forum's unique identity and charm.

RE NC750X: I think it makes an excellent "other" bike (I would say "second", but many Forum members already have multiple bikes). It is a reliable workhorse for very low coin. Cost of ownership is quite amazing. For me, it made no sense to keep the NC if riding the AT. The NC would become a "garage ornament" of some sort. Unfortunately, the AT takes up more space than usual, so a clear-out was required.

RE ST1300: On Monday I actually took a hard look at one, as well as a Gold Wing. I think I would have to give up the remaining amount of low speed agility I seek and the off road capability.

The AT Forum makes sense - yes. It is not close to the CB1100 Forum in terms of subject matter diversity, however, it appears somewhat young. One thing I have noticed was the influx of new AT owners. I think it is some sort of new wave of riders, that is, ADV riders in general.
 
You made the right choice VS an ST 1300. They are now old (last made 8 years ago), and long in the tooth with an overly complicated linked braking system that practically no one in the world can bleed properly. Great bike in their time. I loved mine. Put 110,000 miles on it before the secondary master cylinder (part of the linked system) failed on me (and it's happening more often now that the bikes are getting age and miles on them over on the ST forum) and locked the bike up while I was out riding.

So did you get the DCT AT?
 
Thread starter
It was a low mileage ST1300 I was checking out, but that has passed now.

The AT has the DCT and it feels robust. It has maybe too many options now, but fortunately it is also easy to ignore them. Manual mode is a thumb press away, and the auto modes are easily override.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
It is with deep regret that my CB1100 is gone.  It managed to leave the coral along with the NC750X.  I don't blame them.  The winter season can be harsh to bear without the convenience of electricity, heat and running water.

- - -

The reality is I couldn't store three animals safely without proper shelter.  Also, the CB was no longer enough and this was realized after some learnings from the respected CB1100 Forum that the NC750X was a decent commuter.  It didn't take long to determine that I could ride the NC all day.

So what happened?

To start, the CB1100 is a glorious bike.  Everything known has been said multiple times from multiple sources in the Forum, including myself.  They are obvious and I won't rehash them.  However for me, comfort was limited as I needed room to stretch out.  I realized contrast immediately with the NC as it is a longer, higher ride, and more upright and compatible for my body frame.  To be clear:  I can ride a sport bike for maybe 20 minutes max.  And sadly, I have also come to realize that the Monkey and I will likely never partner.

I was fine using the CB for short hour-at-a-time runs, but for me as a long distance daily commuter, the NC excelled.  The CB was more agile, but needed practically daily refueling.  I am going to miss everything about the CB.  I paid for long journeys on the CB and especially when they terminated in regional Toronto traffic congestion; my body just did not like it.  This is not really about the CB, but me and street standards in general.  I have the same or worse issues with other similar bikes.  The Triumph T100/120 are examples.  The Kawasaki Z900S is higher, but a bit more scrunched like a sport bike and that does not help.  However, the Versys 650 fits me well, but the engine needs wringing where as the CB1100 did not.

Secondary benefits of the NC was I could ride it in any weather condition sans snow/ice and not worry about chrome and general corrosion.  It played the beater role very well.  Although I like the appearance of shine on a bike, I'd rather not deal with salt damage and the likes on the CB.  I grow bored quite quickly with that type of maintenance.  I did consider letting the CB go to pot, but allowing that might be a weakness in my heart.  I also didn't want to risk a "garage queen", especially since there was no garage.  The CB was never a queen, but I feared it would become one.

The mistake I made with the NC750X began when I started flirting with the ugly Africa Twin (AT).  When I mean ugly, I mean in comparison to the CB1100 and even the NC.  CB beauty is difficult to top.  In any case, the AT grew quickly on me and its larger fit is awesome.  Then I realized the AT is a beautiful animal, and the least ugly of available ADV offerings.  For me, the comfort, handling, economy, maintenance, and surprising available power of the AT is above expectations.  Of course, it can be taken off road too.  Essentially, this is my first ADV bike and it is very exciting.

- - -

Honda makes really superb models.  I feel the said bikes are no exception, as intended for their target markets.  I know I will regret letting the CB get away.  I also feel with history and aesthetics aside, for me the AT is more than the sum of the CB and NC.

Will I become some sort of adventure jock?  Unlikely.  I just like to ride.  I will no longer be randomly praised for the "great CB restoration" I did, but I have enough to remember for the rest of my life.

GO
Congratulations on your new Honda AT! What a way to welcome 2020.:thumbsup:

I rode my '14 Standard home on Jan 2 of 2016 after finalizing the details on the 31st prior...new year, new bike, new adventures.

I hope you stay in-tuned to this forum because there is a collective energy created by those who chime in.

It would be interesting to hear your comments on the AT in the "other bikes" section once you've had a few go-arounds on it. It's a bike I've considered as a replacement for my KLR650 should I ever need to, but I'd probably go the second hand route for an AT to save some $$.

I think in time, once you start seeing what an ADV bike can do, you're going to expand your concept as to what makes a bike look beautiful.
:cool:
 
GO, congratulations on your new ride! Life is short and I'm sure you'll find you made the right decision. I've enjoyed your posts on this forum!
 
Congratulations on the new ride, GO. I suspect that many of us more “mature” riders (at least in years) will migrate to the taller ADV bikes much as people are moving to SUVs. The ergos are just that much better.

The AT is quite the ride. Doesn’t have the power of the big Multistrada or big KTMs but those may be a bit over the top.

Ride safe and report back when you can!
 
Thread starter
Thanks again everyone for chiming in.

Good idea. I will consider cross-linking any interesting posts in "Other Bikes" from the other forum.

- - -

I have learned a lot from this Forum, especially in regards to the membership passion, pains and support. It has allowed me to gain a greater respect of why others ride and ride what they choose. The Forum's ability to sort of "self-medicate" may still lend forgiveness to those whose passion aligns with HD. :D
 
GO,

Congrats on the new bike. Please check in and let us know about it. You know we love bikes here. And put RLETS on it! ;)

That HD thing. Their new ADV bike is interesting...
 
On a previous post wished you good luck,but withheld my comment about your dislike about Harley Davidson U.S.A. . Still going to hold my tongue,see ya
 
Thread starter
obleo_imp said:
On a previous post wished you good luck,but withheld my comment about your dislike about Harley Davidson U.S.A. . Still going to hold my tongue,see ya
lol - not a problem. It appears HD is shifting gears real fast to try and adjust to changing market conditions. Don't get me wrong, I do hope they succeed.

HD management just needs to be a bit more humble to be better aligned for future success.

The "other HD issues" has really nothing to do with HD. It has to do with the bike owners. It is somewhat like one taking their dog out for a walk and the hog does something nasty. Do you hold responsible the dog or the owner?
 
I don’t hold a grudge against sport bike rider’s because of squids , nor should all Harley Davidson U.S.A. owners be grouped in a bad light because of a few 1% riders.
 
Oh no! not another regular leaving right when I join the party!

Congrats on the new bike, that white/gold wheeled AT is definitely eye candy, a bit too tall for me though, but I too feel like I'll own an ADV bike at some point in my life. For now, I'll ride the CB1100 until I get tired of it lol

Keep the rubber side down and don't be a stranger on here since you were pretty active on the board :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
Thanks E11. I'll be around from time-to-time. The party continues! Lots of meaty Forum topics to engage - you will have fun. :thumbsup:
 
GO, congratulations on the new bike. You’ve been toying with it for a bit, I think. Life’s too short to be uncomfortable if you don’t need to be. Like others, I’ll look forward to your review of the AT once you’ve fitted RLETs and ridden it round the block a few times.

Remember we like people who like bikes.
 
GO, not very happy to hear you go...but wish you luck with AT, trouble free and safe riding.
Looks to me like RLETs put you in trouble for switching bikes...but you did not want to listen :P
Who I am going to friendly jab the RLETs issue with????
Thanks for your Forum contribution and keep in touch!!
:beerchug:

afe9f56d57b1081f01951f3ad778a69b.jpg

GO's blue beauty
b4daac029620ab31c66084232596a707.jpg
 
Back
Top