Gentlemen, it has been a great pleasure. (zbillster's farewell post)

zbillster_imp

Been there
Thread starter
-- typing with left hand; bear with me --

wow, has it only been a year since i bought my cb and joined this community? seems longer.

these are the kind of posts i hate reading so i understand if you don't.

it was cooler than usual last saturday, the wind was low, so a nice day for a ride to the country.

i was heading west on fm 121 through gunter, texas. i remember seeing that rusted international harvester pickup i took a photo of the week before ...

85c52d7875bd6d51050a30d5e6c512d4.jpg


... and that is the last thing i remember from the ride. the rest was told to me afterward by the local detective.

a rural postal carrier, driving a standard usa left hand drive vehicle, thus pulling up to mailboxes facing the wrong way to fill the roadside boxes, was working the road. i have dealt with them before ... and their counterintuitive behavior.

apparently while i was passing him, he pulled into the lane i was in. i swerved into a field to avoid collision, and hit a sign.

i only remember waking up in the hospital ... with a broken collarbone, some abrasions on my arm, and recovering from a concussion.

i spent the night there and have several weeks to go while my collarbone knits. insurance will determine if my cb is totaled or repairable.

all in all, my injuries could have been worse, and i was lucky ... and it is time to fold my card hand and hang up my remaining helmets before my luck runs out.

of all the motor vehicle forums i have been a member of, this has been the most enjoyable. i have always felt welcome, informed and amused.

and i leave you with a short playlist featuring my cb and my guitar ...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnTJm1gyHtR2_KuystAACuQ6YelM6AydT

:thanks:
 
I am very sorry to hear about your accident but glad that you seem ok so far.
Not blaming you for deciding to stop riding , all the best with your recovery .
 
Get well fast Zbill! Please stick around and keep us updated with your adventures, whatever they are.
 
Well, that stinks. Hope you recover fully. I’m going to miss your ride reports and your enthusiastic participation in the monthly photo challenge.
 
So sad to read zbillster about your event and the ultimate change on your life. I am glad you are still with us, well and upbeat. The tune you leave with us is very swell. I really do wish you the best of all that is in front of you.
 
This is not a good news for our community, but the most important is your well being and full - successful recovery after accident.
Get well as fast as possible Zbillster and good luck :thumbsup:
 
Well that stinks. Like the others I am glad you werent seriously hurt. Sorry to hear you are hanging it up, but I understand the thought process at this point. Not sure how old you are, but you may have time to reevaluate that decision. Since it's the Feds I guess it was considered your fault?

Appreciate your kind words about the forum and your active participation in it . I hope that you will at least stop in once in awhile and let us know how you are getting along. Take care Zbillster!
 
I feel your pain. Literally. And I understand your decision to not continue to ride. Heal well and wishing you well in what ever you choose going forward.

I had my get off back in April. I'm starting back riding slowly with only a few hundred miles since mid June. Follow medical advice, do the PT, and you will be back together in a few short weeks.

jim
 
zbillster, very sweet playing on the soundtrack, and a nice CB1100 video. I'm very sorry to hear about your accident, but pleased to hear you're with us and not too badly hurt. Get well quickly and stick around here on the forum. You don't have to ride to contribute; just like bikes and riding and understand what drives the rest of us to keep on doing it.

Take good care.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Well that stinks. Like the others I am glad you werent seriously hurt. Sorry to hear you are hanging it up, but I understand the thought process at this point. Not sure how old you are, but you may have time to reevaluate that decision. Since it's the Feds I guess it was considered your fault?

Appreciate your kind words about the forum and your active participation in it . I hope that you will at least stop in once in awhile and let us know how you are getting along. Take care Zbillster!
Cormanus_imp said:
zbillster, very sweet playing on the soundtrack, and a nice CB1100 video. I'm very sorry to hear about your accident, but pleased to hear you're with us and not too badly hurt. Get well quickly and stick around here on the forum. You don't have to ride to contribute; just like bikes and riding and understand what drives the rest of us to keep on doing it.

Take good care.
Totally agree. :thumbsup:
 
Sorry to hear about your crash. Heal well and fast.
Also sorry that you're giving up the sport, but only you know what's best for you. Probably a wise decision under the circumstances.
All the best for the future :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
I would like to echo all the positive comments made previously. It has been great having your input and "getting to know you". Great good luck and speedy recovery to you!

Ben
 
These types of posts are tough to read because they are reminders of our vulnerabilities involved with our sport.

zbill, I hope you heal quickly and completely!
 
So glad to hear your injuries weren't worse! But I totally understand why you need to stop. Wishing you a speedy recovery. I'll miss your posts though bro.....try to stick around.
 
zbillster, Thanks for sharing your video. It captures the essence of the "Why" we ride. Wherever we live, the road always beckons us to explore new adventures. My hope for you is a good recovery and that you feel better each day. There is a season for everything. God bless you and heal up.
 
Thread starter
so here is my submission to playgirl magazine ... :P

7ee00d1bc649f3586decd6abb362650e.jpg


thanks for all the warm and fuzzies. okay, maybe not my LAST post here ... :rofl:

depending on the condition of my cb ... its journey ended in a field so it may not be too bad ... i may be posting it for sale here after repairs if the insurance company does not total it. i will also have some gear to get rid of, and maybe the samurider tall seat to sell separately. i will post updates ... will look at it tomorrow with a friend at the impound lot.

so being self employed in my late 50s, i have to deal with health insurance challenges, rising rates and shrinking options, client ups and downs, and risk assessment ... i have some coverage for this incident but it will probably be a large financial hit. i think a helicopter ride to the hospital was involved. cha-ching!

given my situation, before this happened i was hoping for one final arkansas/missouri ride in the fall before reluctantly selling the cb and accepting my fate as a cager ... but then ... :s

i will consult with a lawyer but given that there was no vehicle impact and the rural mailman may be an independent contractor, and it is a federal agency, that route looks doubtful.

again, youse guys are great! thanks!

btw ... always carry a phone charger with you ... luckily an S2Ki forum friend stepped in and sent one to my hospital room.
 
You look so sad.

"I think a helicopter ride to the hospital was involved. cha-ching!"

Please let us know how much they are going to try and charge you. Can't believe they choppered you for a broken collarbone, and some scrapes.

BTW forgot to mention..loved the shadow peace sign at :32 on the Muenster vid
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
You look so sad.

"I think a helicopter ride to the hospital was involved. cha-ching!"

Please let us know how much they are going to try and charge you. Can't believe they choppered you for a broken collarbone, and some scrapes.

BTW forgot to mention..loved the shadow peace sign at :32 on the Muenster vid
i suck at smiling for selfies. :D

i also had a concussion and memory loss. they prob did an mri ... found some minor vertebrae damage, nothing serious. the collarbone is the worst of it.

surprisingly they did not cut off my jeans, underwear, socks and boots. still useable. knees of jeans had very light grass stains and no rips.

yeah, i tried to sneak in some shadow puppets in the vids ... :D
 
Back
Top