Gentle roll over

Cormanus_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Why not? I have always done it that way on every bike.:)

I'm not going to bother horsing it up onto the centerstand in a gas station to fill it. Bet it wouldn't take but a couple ounces more gas centered. Not worth the risk to me. I'm not going to need those few extra ounces anyway.

I always fill from the low/ left side as well.
I assume you mean that you point the nozzle into the low side of the tank rather than standing on on the low side of the bike.

I'm tempted to tell you all that, in Oz, the low side means the right hand side because, driving as we do on the left-hand side of the road means we have the side stand on the right of the bike. But no-one would believe me. Would they?
Nope. It's common knowledge here in the Northern Hemisphere that everything in Oz is upside down. If you told me that your side stand was attached to the handlebar, I might believe that :D
 
Hang on! That would mean the seat and mirrors were touching the road. That would mean that even though the bike was the 'right' way up by northern hemisphere standards, the sky and the earth were upside down. When you live down here you understand it all goes along pretty much the same as up there except your head points the opposite direction relative to the sun and your tyres and shoes have to contain strong magnets. :P
 
Elipten_imp said:
Now that I am older, I extend the side stand, get the bike stable and deep off. If needed put bike on center stand. To be honest the Honda center stand sucks compared to my BMW, which also has a nice folding out lever to assist with putting the bike on an off the center stand. The design of the stand is far superior to the Honda. And the bike is 24 years old. For most things I would say the Honda is better design, but not in the center stand.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Older BMW's do have excellent, easy to use center stands that were much better than anything available today. Compared to most newer bikes, the Honda stand is pretty good and the bike pops up on the center stand very easily.
 
BMW's center stands in the early years were so close to the balance point, that you could remove either wheel and the bike would remain upright on the stand and the other wheel. What ever happened to that great idea?
 
Thread starter
Thanks guys!

The reason I most times go to the center stand is when I bought it by the time we were ready to leave Chattanooga it was after hours and the sales rep said they would fill her up. It looked like they had put plenty in. Well they did not and on the kickstand it the gauge shows much higher than reality.
Any way I like to get as much in as I can.

I may rethink that now, simply not worth it my commute is such that I have to gas up after two trips anyway.
I did nearly run out one day it was so close if the light at the ramp had been green I would have made it. I made it into the parking lot across from the QT. It is an uphill push and only 2 mile from home. The wife came to my rescue.
 
I always fill my tank while sitting on the seat. If I can't reach the handle and credit card slot from the seat, I consider myself a failure as a rider. Then I can use two hands on the pump handle and peer into the tank as I fill it and keep the tank up right for maximum fill.

One strange thing is on my 2014 Std, even if I let the gauge go to 1/4 full, I never get over 2+ gallons in it.
 
One of the joys of CB ownership is dealing with that stupid fuel gauge. You can probably go 40 miles once the last bar starts flashing...

Offroad, you have a 2014 with fuel computer. Yours will actually start counting back the mileage once you get so low. it will start around 60 miles remaining, then show total mileage on bike ( for some stupid reason) then count down each remaining mile while flashing back to total mileage on bike. 60, 59, 58 etc. Gives you plenty of time to find gas unless you live out west or some parts of Australia lol
 
Regarding flashing bar... I had a hard moments today. Travelling from a great weekend with a passenger, I unleashed the CB on the autobahn, leaned on it a bit and travelling steady on the speed limiter I looked at my instrument after some time and saw the bar flashing! I did not know how long it was flashing at the moment so I backed down to emergency-economy mode and limping at 55 mph waiting for next gas station. Finally we reached a gas station I filled up the bike and calculated there was only 0.5 litre left. I was lucky!
 
Just over 1/10 of a gallon? Yea, that was close!
 
VTR1000F_imp said:
Regarding flashing bar... I had a hard moments today. Travelling from a great weekend with a passenger, I unleashed the CB on the autobahn, leaned on it a bit and travelling steady on the speed limiter I looked at my instrument after some time and saw the bar flashing! I did not know how long it was flashing at the moment so I backed down to emergency-economy mode and limping at 55 mph waiting for next gas station. Finally we reached a gas station I filled up the bike and calculated there was only 0.5 litre left. I was lucky!
An object lesson in aerodynamics. I've found that a steady 60 mph can deliver mid 50s mpg. A constant 85 mph is in the mid 40s. I can imagine that running a constant 112 mph would net you somewhere in the low 30s.

In aviation it's well known that to double your speed requires 4 times the HP (which directly correlates to fuel consumption).
 
CB4ME_imp said:
Carl - sorry to hear about the slo-mo tip over. It's all to easy to do. I haven't lost my CB yet but have had a couple of interesting moments. Glad the damage was minimal.

I have a sort of related question to forum members. Who mounts or dismounts their bike without the sidestand being extended? In my youth I did all the time.
I don't ever use the side stand; I get off the bike with it being vertical, and put it on the center stand immediately. I also don't ever move the bike without being on it. Awkward, but less risky.

Thanks to my turntable I don't have to back the thing into the garage anymore either. I'm all for minimizing risk and I don't see the side stand as risk avoidance at all.
 
shdwghst457_imp said:
CB4ME_imp said:
Carl - sorry to hear about the slo-mo tip over. It's all to easy to do. I haven't lost my CB yet but have had a couple of interesting moments. Glad the damage was minimal.

I have a sort of related question to forum members. Who mounts or dismounts their bike without the sidestand being extended? In my youth I did all the time.
I don't ever use the side stand; I get off the bike with it being vertical, and put it on the center stand immediately. I also don't ever move the bike without being on it. Awkward, but less risky.

Thanks to my turntable I don't have to back the thing into the garage anymore either. I'm all for minimizing risk and I don't see the side stand as risk avoidance at all.
I don't ever use the side stand; I get off the bike with it being vertical, and put it on the center stand immediately. I also don't ever move the bike without being on it. Awkward, but less risky.

Thanks to my turntable I don't have to back the thing into the garage anymore either. I'm all for minimizing risk and I don't see the side stand as risk avoidance at all.
I'm on the other side with this - never on or off without the side stand down. I'm nowhere near confident enough in my balancing ability with this heavy of a bike to do anything else. Especially since there's a tail bag on the passenger seat, which creates the need for a good, high, kung fu leg swing to clear it. :-/
 
I always get off with the side stand down and the bars turned left, so that if it wants to go somewhere, it wants to go onto the side stand. I also keep the side stand down when I put the bike on the center stand, and especially when taking it off the center stand (with the bars turned left, of course).
 
Hate to say it (embarrassed is more like it) but I rolled mine yesterday evening.

Just finished a 1-1/2 hr ride through the Lincoln hills of So. IN and pulled up to park the CB under one of my a large shade trees. Hit a patch of damp clover when I applied the front brake and was over on my side before I even knew what happened. Cracked the plastic speedometer housing but other than that the bike looks OK. Literally "slid into home" I guess.

This is the second time I've locked up the front tire, I wish now I would have gone for the anti-lock version. BTW - I don't think the back brake is worth a darn!
 
The back brake is kinda crappy, but you may have air in it from the factory. I did, and so did at least 4 others on the board. Only one had a dealer that would do something about it. Mine wouldn't so I bled it myself and a LOT of air came out.
 
it is so easy to tip over because the CB1100 is heavy.

1) I stop the bike and land my left foot on a dry leave, slip on it and almost tip over

2) on a country road, I stop to turn, one wheel on the high cement of gas station, one wheel on the road, put my foot down and the trench for water run off is much deeper, finding my footing, the bike is leaned over too much, almost tip over.

it is almost always that accident can happen at lower speed. Study shows that accident happens more frequently closer to one's house. When he leaves, when he about to get home.
 
Back
Top