Gentle roll over

Carl Hopkins_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Well I let the CB roll over this week. I was nearly home and needed to fuel up.
My throttle hand has been getting stiff middle finger seems to be getting that dreaded arthritis. :(
I put the bike on the kick stand and position myself to go onto the center stand. I had my gloves on which I think may have played a small part as well. She got wobbly and all I could do was slow the fall.
The damage is more to my heart than the bike.
The engine cover has about an quarter size scuff, brake lever will be replaced and the factory muffler looks like it laid perfectly down in a sweeping compound. I noticed a very tiny spot on the mirror as well.

Its time for the 6000 mile service so I will look into cleaning her up and replacing the lever.

I will be more careful from now on for sure. But as much as I love this bike, I love ridding more and it is just a bike.
I have crashed and been hurt (3) times! So this is nothing, just thought I would share my plight.

On another note.
I have a coworker good friend with an HD, well he got very lucky. Had his bike for sale and he told me he may not ride because of the risk. You can see this coming right? He had it listed for 12k. He decide to ride it to work took a curve a little fast hit some pine straw took the ditch. He got a large but not deep scratch on his leg. The bike was totaled. Well he had full coverage and the payout was 14k. He was carried to Atlanta med and they cut his pants leg nearly all the way around. The doc looked and said he did not even need anything on it. The doc also looked at his non DOT approved helmet and said really, you need to get a real helmet. He got up to leave and had to ask for scissors to cut the pants leg on off. He said most times he would have been wearing shorts.
 
Carl - sorry to hear about the slo-mo tip over. It's all to easy to do. I haven't lost my CB yet but have had a couple of interesting moments. Glad the damage was minimal.

I have a sort of related question to forum members. Who mounts or dismounts their bike without the sidestand being extended? In my youth I did all the time.
 
Glad you're OK Carl.

I've been riding since I was 13 years old and stopped when I got married at 27. Now I'm 57 and the CB is the first bike I've had in 30 yrs. Bought it last October and have less than 1200 miles on it. Since October, I've had no less than 4 near misses on the road, one severe enough that I locked up the bike when a car pulled in front of me. That event still haunts me because it was only by the grace of God that I kept the CB upright and out of the guys back fender.

I guess I'm starting to feel like your friend, I certainly don't remember things being as dangerous on the road as they are now. Too many cell phones and too many people behind the wheel that don't belong there. Or maybe I was just away too long and don't ride as well as I thought I used to.

Steve
 
CB4ME_imp said:
Carl - sorry to hear about the slo-mo tip over. It's all to easy to do. I haven't lost my CB yet but have had a couple of interesting moments. Glad the damage was minimal.

I have a sort of related question to forum members. Who mounts or dismounts their bike without the sidestand being extended? In my youth I did all the time.
I don't think I've ever done that with any bike. I'm trying to think of a reason why anyone would...but I can't. Maybe because you're on ground too soft for the stand and you're going to push it (instead of riding it?) to somewhere else?
 
CB4ME_imp said:
Carl - sorry to hear about the slo-mo tip over. It's all to easy to do. I haven't lost my CB yet but have had a couple of interesting moments. Glad the damage was minimal.

I have a sort of related question to forum members. Who mounts or dismounts their bike without the sidestand being extended? In my youth I did all the time.
On my Norton's I dismount with the side stand still up because they are very hard to extend while you are mounted on the bike. On some of my old BMW's I owned in the past, you would get in the same habit because they have a reputation for the side stand to not be fully extended and they fall over!

However, on all my other bikes, CB1100 included, I always have the side stand down when I mount and dismount.
 
Thread starter
ubelhjs - we have much in common. I started riding at 13 and I am 56.
I have not had a nice bike in many years. Listed below are all "my crashes."
The last one was a fixer upper and I only had about 70 miles on it but it really was not a keeper anyway. NOt a very popular model and should have not waisted my time and my flesh on it.

Just in case you can't tell, yes I am still a little hard headed.

My first crash was at 13 ran into a barbed wire fence head on. A new to me wire gate strung across a long drive took nearly 100 stitches.
I crashed a 76 KZ 900 way to fast in a curve, broken right arm a few stitches to the left shin. Had several kz's over the years really loved those!
I had a front brake lock up about 4 years ago landed rather hard and that took a while to get over. Left knee was jammed and still bother me a little.
 
CB4ME_imp said:
Carl - sorry to hear about the slo-mo tip over. It's all to easy to do. I haven't lost my CB yet but have had a couple of interesting moments. Glad the damage was minimal.

I have a sort of related question to forum members. Who mounts or dismounts their bike without the sidestand being extended? In my youth I did all the time.
That will be me. Most of the time I use the center stand, but in either case I never have them extended when mounting or dismounting. That beeing said, I had my moments where extreme effort was needed to avoid a tip off. This usually results in a trip to the chiropractor.
 
I always put the side stand down before dismounting. A necessity for me on many bikes for at my height I need to keep my left foot on the peg as I dismount.
 
I too, like redbirds, always extend the side stand before dismounting. For me, I fell better about getting off the bike if the bike is stable first.
 
Now that I am older, I extend the side stand, get the bike stable and deep off. If needed put bike on center stand. To be honest the Honda center stand sucks compared to my BMW, which also has a nice folding out lever to assist with putting the bike on an off the center stand. The design of the stand is far superior to the Honda. And the bike is 24 years old. For most things I would say the Honda is better design, but not in the center stand.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Glad you're OK, Carl. It's a bummer but, as you say, it's only a bike.


CB4ME_imp said:
Carl - sorry to hear about the slo-mo tip over. It's all to easy to do. I haven't lost my CB yet but have had a couple of interesting moments. Glad the damage was minimal.

I have a sort of related question to forum members. Who mounts or dismounts their bike without the sidestand being extended? In my youth I did all the time.
I used to have to get off my first bike with no stand down as it didn't have a side stand and I couldn't get it onto the centre stand without getting off. I wouldn't do it on the CB1100. It's too darned heavy.
 
Bummer about the tip over Carl... But you didn't get hurt and the bike is easily repaired.

Side stand down here always before dismounting. I also always fill with gas on sidestand.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Bummer about the tip over Carl... But you didn't get hurt and the bike is easily repaired.

Side stand down here always before dismounting. I also always fill with gas on sidestand.
That's interesting. Why is that?
 
Why not? I have always done it that way on every bike.:)

I'm not going to bother horsing it up onto the centerstand in a gas station to fill it. Bet it wouldn't take but a couple ounces more gas centered. Not worth the risk to me. I'm not going to need those few extra ounces anyway.

I always fill from the low/ left side as well.
 
You're probably right. I assume I'll squeeze a bit more in if I put it on the centre stand and that it might make a difference on some of our isolated roads. Maybe I'll try an experiment.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
You're probably right. I assume I'll squeeze a bit more in if I put it on the centre stand and that it might make a difference on some of our isolated roads. Maybe I'll try an experiment.
Yea, give it a try and report back. Would be interesting info.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Why not? I have always done it that way on every bike.:)

I'm not going to bother horsing it up onto the centerstand in a gas station to fill it. Bet it wouldn't take but a couple ounces more gas centered. Not worth the risk to me. I'm not going to need those few extra ounces anyway.

I always fill from the low/ left side as well.
I assume you mean that you point the nozzle into the low side of the tank rather than standing on on the low side of the bike.

I'm tempted to tell you all that, in Oz, the low side means the right hand side because, driving as we do on the left-hand side of the road means we have the side stand on the right of the bike. But no-one would believe me. Would they?
 
Lol..No, I stand on the left side of the bike (which is lower than the right side when on the side stand) with the bars turned to the right as Blockhead says, which stands the bike up and clears the way for the gas nozzle, fill from the left side, squeezing the nozzle with my left hand and peering down into the neck, and aim the end of the nozzle to the right (high side) of the tank ( to limit/eliminate splash back) and fill until the gas is in the neck, maybe an inch or so from the lip.
 
Back
Top