GearBrake experience?

MikeD_imp said:
I'm thinking about ordering/installing this gearbrake smart brake light module on my CB. Anyone here try it yet?
Motorcycle Engine Braking Brake Light Solutions Compared
I am just not much of a fan of gimmicks. Way back in the day, the technique was taught to flash your brake light 3-4 times to alert traffic. Ride with your high beam on during the day (some of these are very bright now but were not 30 years ago). Ride defensively and have your bike under control.
 
Thread starter
Ulvetanna_imp said:
MikeD_imp said:
I'm thinking about ordering/installing this gearbrake smart brake light module on my CB. Anyone here try it yet?
Motorcycle Engine Braking Brake Light Solutions Compared
I am just not much of a fan of gimmicks. Way back in the day, the technique was taught to flash your brake light 3-4 times to alert traffic. Ride with your high beam on during the day (some of these are very bright now but were not 30 years ago). Ride defensively and have your bike under control.
I depress the rear brake or pull in the brake lever just enough to activate the brake light if I am slowing in traffic. This is just a gimmick but I guess if someone cannot train themselves to do these things, a gimmick is cool.

If you're riding canyons with your buddies, and just rolling on/off the throttle, and this thing is lighting up like the Fourth of Joo-lie constantly, it could be an issue. Like Chicken Little claiming the sky is falling.

What I see is few people seem to want to put the time into training, whether it be dirt riding, clinics, track days, or just a parking lot. They are happy to get some false confidence with yet another app.

Honestly, I have to say that after doing four days of rides, most in freeway and urban traffic (very usual for me anyway), I think of a track day as a nice relaxing day off.

Everyone is going the same direction, no driveways, usually very light traffic, no police to worry about, an ambulance on hand. And no brake lights.

I am just not much of a fan of gimmicks. Way back in the day, the technique was taught to flash your brake light 3-4 times to alert traffic. Ride with your high beam on during the day (some of these are very bright now but were not 30 years ago). Ride defensively and have your bike under control. Really?
Your assumptions are condescending, to say the least.
I flash my brake light when stopping, and when stopped when I see a car approaching in my mirrors. I keep my high beam on when I ride, unless I'm going through a tunnel, or approaching oncoming traffic at night. I ride defensively, and control my bike. I don't ride canyons, and I couldn't care less about your track days. I asked if anyone had any experience with the gearbrake. Apparently, you do not.
 
Mike I can't talk expressly about gear brake but I recently installed a tail light bulb that flashes 3 times when the brake lever is squeezed or brake pedal depressed. The majority of the time I ride alone so I worry more about protecting myself from a cage driver from behind, than worrying about buddies behind me freaking at me tapping my brakes when dusting off a little speed for a corner. If it would bother any riding buddies, I suggest that they go ahead of me. Nobody at the rally complained that my flashing brake light was spooking them.

I also wear a gimmicky hi viz vest, and wear a decidedly uncool white helmet most of the time. Protecting myself is sort of a self imposed high priority.
 
MikeD,

I believe you are the first to mention this device. Most of the discussion has been on the bulb Ferret has, or a module that will also flash the brake light.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Mike I can't talk expressly about gear brake but I recently installed a tail light bulb that flashes 3 times when the brake lever is squeezed or brake pedal depressed. The majority of the time I ride alone so I worry more about protecting myself from a cage driver from behind, than worrying about buddies behind me freaking at me tapping my brakes when dusting off a little speed for a corner. If it would bother any riding buddies, I suggest that they go ahead of me. Nobody at the rally complained that my flashing brake light was spooking them.

I also wear a gimmicky hi viz vest, and wear a decidedly uncool white helmet most of the time. Protecting myself is sort of a self imposed high priority.
Ferret, I can relate completely. I'm also sporting the super cool white helmet and high viz vest. I'm going to look for the posts on your flashing bulb. Since I also ride alone most of the time, I'm also unconcerned about bothering anyone who is behind me. If someone is annoyed with the flashing, then they've seen that I'm slowing, which is my primary concern.
Gearbrake also makes a flashing module. I'm going to do some more research. If I end up ordering one, I'll put up a post with the details.
 
MikeD_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Mike I can't talk expressly about gear brake but I recently installed a tail light bulb that flashes 3 times when the brake lever is squeezed or brake pedal depressed. The majority of the time I ride alone so I worry more about protecting myself from a cage driver from behind, than worrying about buddies behind me freaking at me tapping my brakes when dusting off a little speed for a corner. If it would bother any riding buddies, I suggest that they go ahead of me. Nobody at the rally complained that my flashing brake light was spooking them.

I also wear a gimmicky hi viz vest, and wear a decidedly uncool white helmet most of the time. Protecting myself is sort of a self imposed high priority.
Ferret, I can relate completely. I'm also sporting the super cool white helmet and high viz vest. I'm going to look for the posts on your flashing bulb. Since I also ride alone most of the time, I'm also unconcerned about bothering anyone who is behind me. If someone is annoyed with the flashing, then they've seen that I'm slowing, which is my primary concern.
Gearbrake also makes a flashing module. I'm going to do some more research. If I end up ordering one, I'll put up a post with the details.
I visited the website and read the comments that GearBrake users posted there. It's clear that setup is very important; the thing can be going off when you don't want it to, or not operate when you do, because it operates based on deceleration forces. That's where I got my info, and why I reached my own conclusions.

I found your post of interest because yesterday, I myself very nearly purchased a module that flashes the brake light when applied. I am ALL ABOUT safety but not much for throwing money at every device that comes down the pike, that's all. Seemed to me the setup issues on the GearBrake were too complex and unpredictable.

Since it is something that is inserted into the brake light circuit, it could possibly fail altogether and leave one without any brake light, or with the light constantly on, which is essentially the same thing.

My primary concern was only the reliability and efficacy of the device. It was certainly not to insult anyone by mentioning rider training.
 
I don't see a reason for it. I flash my brake light when I want cagers to know I'm slowing and might have to stop and I installed the flashing bulb since I ride in lots of traffic!

Sent from me......
 
You might be interested in this device for flashing brake lights, the SupraBrake-II. See http://www.vizi-tec.com/supabrake-2/
This unit is very small, is plug and go - you disconnect the brake/tail connection at the bundle by the battery, insert this unit inline, it has the correct connectors, and plug the brake/tail connection into it. Good to go. Should you change bikes, you can send it back and they will put the correct connectors for your new bike onto it for about $10.00.

There is a YouTube video about it -

I have it, and I think it works well.
 
Thread starter
Thanks, Ferret and Redbird.
It looks like I'm going to have to do a little more research. I am a little concerned about the license plate light being bright enough. Have you checked it out at night, yet?
The flasher module looks interesting. It would eliminate the need for the calibration that is required on the gearbrake, and it's less expensive. I may end up going that route.
Thanks again.
 
Good to see that there are more options popping up for modulating the brake light. I don't have any experience with GearBrake but have used the Kisan tailBlazer on a number of my motorcycles, including the CB, and am very happy with it. I posted a thread on it here: Kisan tailBlazer

Good luck on your quest. I think it's a worthwhile investment.
 
Mike, I have not. Don't ride much at night. maybe when it gets dark tonight, I will roll it out of the garage and see.
 
MikeD_imp said:
Thanks, Ferret and Redbird.
It looks like I'm going to have to do a little more research. I am a little concerned about the license plate light being bright enough. Have you checked it out at night, yet?
The flasher module looks interesting. It would eliminate the need for the calibration that is required on the gearbrake, and it's less expensive. I may end up going that route.
Thanks again.
Cool LED-loaded license plate bolts can be had that shine on the plate to keep things legal if you need them.
 
I tried the Genssi led on Amazon and did not work for me, pins on bulb not same as oem, flashed when key turned then solid red, no change in brightness when brake engaged. If someone can provide a simple led bulb that flashes like Ferret originally posted about that still is for sale I am willing to try again!

Thanks,

Glenn
 
Back
Top