Gear ratio 13 & 14 models

Ridem32_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
The front sprocket on both the 13 & 14 models is 18 teeth the rear on the 13 is 39 teeth the 14 rear is 40 teeth
The ground clearance on the 13 & 14 standard is 4.9 inches. The deluxe is 5.3 inches
Engine dry weight 13 models 191.6 pounds
14 engine dry weight (6 speed) 192.9 That's 1.3 pounds different for the 6th gear
Timing on the 13 models 8 BTDC 14 models 10 BTDC
13 models have 3 piston front brake caliper pistons.
14 models have 2 ( larger) front brake caliper pistons.
The 13 model front center caliper piston is combined with the rear brake on the ABS model.
The 14 model is not combined ABS
The 14 deluxe has .7 tenths bigger fuel tank, gear indicator and fuel mpg display. That's the main minor difference I can find between the 13 & 14 models. All info is from honda service manual for the 13 & 14 models.
 
Ridem32_imp said:
The front sprocket on both the 13 & 14 models is 18 teeth the rear on the 13 is 39 teeth the 14 rear is 40 teeth
The ground clearance on the 13 & 14 standard is 4.9 inches. The deluxe is 5.3 inches
Engine dry weight 13 models 191.6 pounds
14 engine dry weight (6 speed) 192.9 That's 1.3 pounds different for the 6th gear
Timing on the 13 models 8 BTDC 14 models 10 BTDC
13 models have 3 piston front brake caliper pistons.
14 models have 2 ( larger) front brake caliper pistons.
The 13 model front center caliper piston is combined with the rear brake on the ABS model.
The 14 model is not combined ABS
The 14 deluxe has .7 tenths bigger fuel tank, gear indicator and fuel mpg display. That's the main minor difference I can find between the 13 & 14 models. All info is from honda service manual for the 13 & 14 models.
Wonder if there will ever be an good after market 19 tooth front sprocket for a 13 model?
 
Thread starter
I don't think there is enough room on the motor for a 19 to fit. The 18 fits tight. But I'm just going by pics in manual. But it looks tight.
 
Thread starter
Tyke you can drop the rear sprocket say by 2 teeth and should be great. 1 tooth on the front = about 4 on the rear. Really little less than 4. But 2 would make a huge difference. Hope that helps you. :)
 
This was something Elipten and I were talking about briefly the other day. I don't ever need to go 118mph, but I would like it to have quicker acceleration. Do I want a smaller or a larger rear sprocket for this? Instinct says smaller, but I could see a larger sprocket having more leverage on the wheel due to the bigger radius. I'm trying to relate it to bicycling but the 1140cc monster is a much better engine than I am!
 
A bigger rear sprocket would increase your revs for a given speed in each gear - theoretically improving acceleration (if you can change gear quick enough). However the cheaper deal would be to buy a smaller front sprocket which would do the same job.
 
Thread starter
The larger the rear spocket the more power ( less top end speed). The smaller the front sprocket the more power. If you went with a 17 tooth on the front it would make a huge difference in power and you could still hit you speed limiter of 112mph.
Good job dengie we was typing at same time. But I can't type I peck with one finger lol
 
Ridem
Now I've got you again, I asked on another thread for the difference in gear ratios between the two models. You posted an excellent chart with all the info I wanted and now its gone! Any chance you could tap in the overall final ratio's for the 14 bike for 6 gears? Thanks mate.
 
Thread starter
Guth had to delete that chart by copyright I forgot about that. It is a good chart I can email it to you
Check your mail (mate)
 
You can post info up by typing it out. It's the scans of the copyrighted manual that are a no go.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Ridem32_imp said:
Tyke you can drop the rear sprocket say by 2 teeth and should be great. 1 tooth on the front = about 4 on the rear. Really little less than 4. But 2 would make a huge difference. Hope that helps you. :)
Thanks for that.
 
Gurth are we able to post a document such as in MS Word or PDF format? Or is it strictly text entered into a post? I was going to work on a reference sheet for torque settings for the common fasteners like I have for BMW. But if no easy access for other users last limits the incentive.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Unless I'm mistaken you can attach any type of file you want to the post using the "Add Attachment" under the expanded reply post. You could also use a link to a Google doc that we could access.

The problem they were talking about was that Ridem had a document that fell under someone else's copyright, and he posted it, and has since removed it. Apparently (before I was here) a while back Ferret and Guth were asked to C&D on a copyrighted page, so they watch it around here, to make sure they don't have to shut the place down due to legal issues.

All forums should keep an eye on this stuff, but some don't. And while most legal rulings have shown that publishing a single page of a longer copyrighted work falls under fair use, I wouldn't want to fight it in court either.
 
Ridem32_imp said:
The front sprocket on both the 13 & 14 models is 18 teeth the rear on the 13 is 39 teeth the 14 rear is 40 teeth
The ground clearance on the 13 & 14 standard is 4.9 inches. The deluxe is 5.3 inches
Engine dry weight 13 models 191.6 pounds
14 engine dry weight (6 speed) 192.9 That's 1.3 pounds different for the 6th gear
Timing on the 13 models 8 BTDC 14 models 10 BTDC
13 models have 3 piston front brake caliper pistons.
14 models have 2 ( larger) front brake caliper pistons.
The 13 model front center caliper piston is combined with the rear brake on the ABS model.
The 14 model is not combined ABS
The 14 deluxe has .7 tenths bigger fuel tank, gear indicator and fuel mpg display. That's the main minor difference I can find between the 13 & 14 models. All info is from honda service manual for the 13 & 14 models.
hmmm... I was under the impression that the 13 models with ABS have 3 piston front calipers so as to deal with linked brakes, but the 14 models have 4 piston front calipers (not 2 piston calipers) ??
 
Back
Top